Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You know you're old school if..

1. Looking for the sunshine...
    Looking for the sunshine...

You know you're old school if..

Advertisements
    I just was reminiscing about our military lifestyle last night with dear friend. Her and I were neighbors in housing years ago. So, this is what I remember:

You know you're old school navy if;

You can remember that the ship's care line actually used to update date/time/pier of the ship's return and/or departure.

Getting paid in cash.

MWR parties paying for all the food and booze the crew/families could eat/drink.

Cinder block walls in housing painted haze grey and brown tile flooring.

Snail mail was the only option for communications other than the $$ phone call where you SO stood in line for hours for a 15 min call.

MARS Grams

Satellite phone calls from the ship where "over" and "Roger" were normal conversation.

The painted arrows on the deck in the commissary directing the flow of cart traffic.

Those are just a few of the things we were giggling about..
  2. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayo View Post
    I just was reminiscing about our military lifestyle last night with dear friend. Her and I were neighbors in housing years ago. So, this is what I remember:

You can remember that the ship's care line actually used to update date/time/pier of the ship's return and/or departure.

Getting paid in cash.

MWR parties paying for all the food and booze the crew/families could eat/drink.

Snail mail was the only option for communications other than the $$ phone call where you SO stood in line for hours for a 15 min call.

MARS Grams

Satellite phone calls from the ship where "over" and "Roger" were normal conversation.

The painted arrows on the deck in the commissary directing the flow of cart traffic.

I remember those two from when my dad was in the navy
    dude for real they need to bring those arrows back! they use to have them at langleys commissary when I was little.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

3. Looking for the sunshine...

Quote Originally Posted by LoveChildOfDudi View Post
    I remember those two from when my dad was in the navy
    dude for real they need to bring those arrows back! they use to have them at langleys commissary when I was little.
    When we lived in Novato, CA housing we used the Hamilton AFB commy. Old, dingy and those old birds would tear me a new one if I jumped a isle!
  4. Senior Member
    When we lived in Novato, CA housing we used the Hamilton AFB commy. Old, dingy and those old birds would tear me a new one if I jumped a isle!
    You lived in Novato? I am from just north of there. Such a beautiful place.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Hey we loved in Novato for awhile! Also my mom likes to remind me she had the luxury of that care line AND dude all commissaries need traffic directing arrows!!!
  6. Senior Member

Getting paid in cash.

MARS Grams

Yes to all except paying in cash. I remember pay coming via paper checks though.

What about MWR reimbursing them for entertainment expenses. DH and I would save our movie ticket stubs and he got $ back!

No snail mail for weeks during deployment, and then 5 letters in ONE day!

Going to homecoming on the pier and spending 30 minutes trying to find your guy on the ship because there was no other way... No cell phone call... You just stood, and looked.

Not being able to go to the NEX with your DB because only authorized patrons were allowed (ie, you had an ID).

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
  7. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    I remember playing tic tac toe with my dad over snail mail I think my dad was on the ship just as email was allowed!
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

8. Looking for the sunshine...

Quote Originally Posted by maegan View Post
    You lived in Novato? I am from just north of there. Such a beautiful place.
    Quote Originally Posted by *Emma* View Post
    Hey we loved in Novato for awhile! Also my mom likes to remind me she had the luxury of that care line AND dude all commissaries need traffic directing arrows!!!
    Yes, we lived in Novato..in the old housing. They even made a movie using the housing called "radio flyer". My dd's middle name is Marin for the county..we were poor so that was the most expensive thing I could give her (Marin co..one of the most expensive counties to live in at the time in CA) She was born in Greenbrae.
  9. Senior Member

Getting paid in cash.

MARS Grams

Those are the ones I remember from when my dad was in the Navy. Also my Mom use to send my Dad "Family Grams" instead of normal letter because he was on Boomers.

How about..
    It was called a patrol & not a deployment back in the day. lol

I didnt know what a deployment was until my DH joined the Navy. When my Dad was in everyone I knew called it a patrol.
  10. Banned
    Banned
    I remember being reimbursed for movies and entertainment DH is 17 years in. He remembers paper checks!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast