Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: A task for the bored

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

A task for the bored

Advertisements
    I just got off the phone with my mother, who informed me that when I was 9 or 10 my family went to a circus, and one of the trapeze artists missed a jump and died. She said they closed the circus down for a few days afterwards.

Now, my mom is nuts. Not like, medically diagnosed with something, but she gets these totally random things in her head and just runs with them, refuses to back down. When I was pregnant, she told me to eat lots of tuna because it's high in vegetables. She tricked me onto the roof of my house, took down the ladder, and yelled at me to come down or she was calling the cops (long story), but she wouldn't put the ladder back up so I could get down. She tried to set me up with some guy who was rich, she could tell he was rich by his roladex watch. She thinks birds spontaneously change colors at will. Gotta love her.

So, I have absolutely zero memory of ever going to a circus with my family, much less one where someone died, and that's the kind of thing you'd remember. The only record I found of any accident where I lived was in 1872...and I'm pretty sure neither of us were at that one. I'm thinking she just saw that somewhere and became convinced she was there.

If anyone is bored, and wants something to do, could you help me find out if she's telling the truth this time, or still nuts? She says it was the "Ringling Brothers Barnum and Bailey Circus", and this would have been in 1995 or 1996in St. Louis, MO. I'm not having luck finding anything, but maybe someone else will?
  2. I just can't even...
    I just can't even...
    Blog Entries
    you could try to look at the local papers for that town in their archives. They may be on file on the internet, if not, they should be archived at your local library.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    I'm gonna go with....she's
  4. <3 <3 <3
    <3 <3 <3
    Uhm, truthfully.. that's part of the storyline in "Water For Elephants" and a few other books I've read. Maybe she's crazy, but I'm gonna do some looking up!!
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Hottie. View Post
    you could try to look at the local papers for that town in their archives. They may be on file on the internet, if not, they should be archived at your local library.
    Yeah I'm actually in CA, not MO right now, so I'm stuck with the internet. I will try to see if I can get the archives online or something though, good idea!
  6. Senior Member
    I didn't find anything... you'd think it would have been a pretty major story! I did find this site where you can ask though:

Circus Historical Society
  7. I just can't even...
    I just can't even...
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WonHimFromTheSea View Post
    Yeah I'm actually in CA, not MO right now, so I'm stuck with the internet. I will try to see if I can get the archives online or something though, good idea!
    Maybe you could look up the number to the local library there and ask them to look and see if the paper is there for that date. Just a suggestion If it is, they may be able to scan it for you and send it to you via email.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Okay, so apparently she was telling the truth. My dad confirmed it. I still haven't found an article on it, but wow, for once she was telling the truth.