Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buy or make?

1. Senior Member

Buy or make?

Advertisements
    Are you more of a buy from the store kind of person? Or a make from scratch kind of person?

I'm a combination. I like to bake from scratch as much as possible because the amount of chemicals put into those boxed mixes makes me want to . But occasionally I grab a boxed mix if I don't feel like spending 1-2 hours making a cake. When cooking I like to start off as raw and fresh as I can. But sometimes its just not possible to spend that much time cooking, so I get the jarred pasta sauce, or the box mix of stuff.

I'm also a huge glutton for eating out, its just so convenient!
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  2. Banned
    Banned
    I like to eat out, but with my allergies it's really risky. So I try to use ingredients and use fresh vegetables when possible.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
    I like to eat out, but with my allergies it's really risky. So I try to use ingredients and use fresh vegetables when possible.
    I totally understand that. Allergies is why I cook from scratch too. It also sucks that sometimes I'm limited when I eat out
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  4. Regular Member
    Who isn't a glutton for eating out?! No groceries, measuring or dishes! I loved watching semi homemade with Sandra-lee. I'm fine with getting store bought but then putting your own twist on it is nice
  5. Banned
    Banned
    When it comes to meals, I make the main dish from scratch, a side of fresh or frozen veggies, and a boxed side dish, like a rice or pasta mix. DH loves things like cheese and broccoli rice, and it's just much easier to put some Uncle Ben's on the stove than to make it from scratch.

Baking I always do from scratch because I like to tweak ingredients, like use whole wheat flour and Splenda.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by azarmygf View Post
    I totally understand that. Allergies is why I cook from scratch too. It also sucks that sometimes I'm limited when I eat out
    No kidding! I was hospitalized after eating a club sandwich, which you would think is pretty safe.
  7. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

I normally make everything from scratch just because it's cheaper and IMO tastes better but I get some "pre-made" stuff as well to a degree. I also enjoy eating out though it is expensive.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    99% scratch.............but I do occasionally give into the allure of convenience.
  9. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Food wise- I make everything. I never eat those nasty pre-made frozen dinners. The worst I get is like once or twice a year I will make those brownie mixes. Other than that- all homemade!
  10. Happy New Year!
    Happy New Year!
    I make a whole lot from scratch.

But there are some exceptions:
    I decorate cakes and when they're for more than me and DH I use a mix.
    Mac and cheese. I just can't find a recipe that's good.
    Wild rice. I can't find it in bulk here, so have to by the boxed mixes.

"Missing someone isn't about how long it has been since you've seen them or the amount of time since you've talked.
    It's about that very moment when you find yourself doing something and wishing they were right there by your side."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast