Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Sing Me To Sleep. Let me know what you think. :D

1. In the end I'm the only one that will stay faithful to me.
    In the end I'm the only one that will stay faithful to me.

Sing Me To Sleep. Let me know what you think. :D

Advertisements
    So, about a year ago I wrote a short story called "Sing Me To Sleep". It's not amazing or perfect. Not even close, but it expressed my feelings at the time. Let me know what you think. I never really finished it though.

Staring at her notebook, wide eyes blank and unseeing. The classroom around her was loud, students screaming, but she heard none of it. All that was heard were those crushing words that he said to her. The words that completely tore he world apart, the words that kept crashing around in her head. "I don't think we should be together anymore." It repeated itself over and over again in her mind. How had it all happened? They were happy together weren't they? At least she thought it was. Sudden tears sprang to her eyes, but she clenched her small, pale fists refusing to let them flow down her cheeks. She would not be weak. "I will not cry." She muttered to herself. Her eyes raised slowly to the ticking clock. Only two minutes left in class and she hadn't finished anything. She smirked at her obvious uselessness and shut her books, gathering them into a teetering stack.

A sudden tap on the shoulder brought her from her thoughts. "Emmy," A quiet voice prodded her. She turned around to see her best friend, Cadence, looking at her with a saddened, frustrated expression. He smiled at her briefly, his eyes tight with worry. "You doing okay, kid?" Inside her head Emmy was screaming "Does it look I'm okay you pathetic moron?!", but instead of having her little outburst, she dredged up a big fake smile. "When am I not okay, Cade? I'm wonderful."
    Cadence watched her for a moment, considering her words. He shrugged his shoulders, his eyes still on her, studying her for a moment longer before looking away to pick up his books. She sighed internally, slightly pleased with her power to deceive him as she had. The bell rang out, sending the students scattering in every direction through the crowded hallways. Emmy picked up her books and began to make her way to her next class. "Just one step after the other love, that's all that matters right now." She thought to herself. The iridescent lights glared down on her just as swiftly as the deep depression she was falling into.

An arm wrapped around her waist, pulling her in for a tight hug. Cadence held her back for a moment, a smile danced across his features, lighting up his eyes. "You looked like you seriously needed a hug." She looked up at him, forcing yet another smile onto her face. "Don't I always need a hug from you?" He laughed, pulling his arm through hers, beginning to tow her down the hallway. "Doesn't everybody?" She rolled her eyes at his obvious arrogance, resisting the urge to make a smart comment. Instead she settled for just shaking her head and poking him really hard in his side. He stuck his tongue out at her and chuckled. "You gotta love me," Cadence grinned as he spoke, holding back a laugh. "Oh yes. Always." She answered, trying not to laugh at his goofy grin. "Pinkie promise?" He asked her, his voice suddenly serious. "Pinkie promise." Emmy replied.

He smiled at her, her favorite smile, the smile that softened his bright blue eyes. She stared at them for a moment, momentarily speechless. "Hey! Em! Pay attention here." She blinked a couple times, and smiled shyly at Cadence. "What was that all about?" He asked her, his eyebrows scrunching up the way they do when he gets confused. "Oh nothing...I was just...uh thinking." She smiled at him in a way that she hoped was convincing. Cadence laughed and ran his hand over her hair once, messing it up a bit. "There's actually some thoughts going on in there?" He grinned at her mischievously. "Oh wow. I'm feeling the love there." She laughed loudly and began to walk away, but didn't get two steps before Cadence had wrapped his arms around her waist again, dragging her
    into yet another one of his hugs. "Don't be like that kid. You know I love you." His voice was light, but there was a hint of seriousness behind it that she wasn't sure if she wanted to hear.

She looked down, trying to hide the pain that she was so sure was practically screaming from her eyes. "I love you too." She whispered. Emmy looked back up at him a weak smile on her features, "I've got to get to class..." He nodded his head in agreement, "Yea me too. See you after school? I'll meet you by the front gate." Emmy looked at him for a moment before forcing the complete lie from her lips. "Yea...after school." Cadence grinned and wrapped his arms around her in one last hug before he turned to leave. As he walked away Emmy watched him, her face wet and miserable.

She didn't want to move from this spot. It was the last time she would see him and she knew it. Tonight was the night and she just couldn't bring herself to say goodbye to him. If he had smiled at her one more time she wouldn't be able to bring herself to do it and she knew that. Instead of standing around and thinking about what was about to happen, she turned to walk out of the double doors. It was the longest long walk of her entire life. It took everything she had to just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Her face was set as she pulled out her keys to unlock her car. She resisted the impulse to jump out of the car and run right back into the school, pretend like none of this stupid plan had ever even started. Instead of jumping out of the car, she dug around in the glove box and pulled out a gleaming blade.

She stared at it for a moment, a small feeling of guilt clenched her stomach, but she swallowed hard and pulled back her sleeve. Underneath was nothing but lines covering the entire surface of her left arm. She closed her eyes and dug the blade straight into her skin, just enough to get her mind off the mental pain. After the deed was done she looked down at the thin line of blood that was beginning to form, satisfied with her work, she gently pulled her sleeve back down over her mangled arm. With a smug look she put her car in drive and pulled out of the crowded parking lot. The entire way home she focused on nothing but the gentle pulsing coming from her new infliction.

When she finally pulled into her driveway she stared at the large, empty house for a moment before unbuckling herself and climbing out of the car. As she made her way toward the door she shut her eyes trying to imagine what would happen after she had completed what she had set out to do. Would anyone notice? Who would find her? Would dear old mommy and daddy even care? She doubted it. They never cared. Never have, never will. She shook her head vigorously to keep from thinking. "Its almost over," She whispered to herself. She entered the house for what she knew would be the last time. Looking around her at her prison, she smiled grimly. Finally getting away from this hellhole would be a saving grace. Emmy closed the door behind her, listening to the dead bolt slide into place. As soon as she was certain that the door was locked she moved into the living room, grabbing all of what she needed as she went.

Her hand clutched the small bottle of sleeping pills. As she walked up the stairs a slight peace came over her. Emmy opened the bottle carefully taking one, then two. She walked slowly to her room, taking a pill every step of the way. It was almost over and she saw that. She had taken at least 15 pills by the time she had reached the bedroom door. Her steps were heavy and clumsy, her eyes threatening to close. She had almost forgotten something, but what was it? She couldn't figure it out. As she stared around her room, eyelids drooping, her gaze landed on the pencil and paper she had laid out that morning.

Cadence! She meant to write her note to Cade. She made her way over to the small desk and sat down to write. While she was writing, the same stupid tears welled in her eyes. She blinked them away furiously and folded up the paper into a small square and wrote "Read Me" on the front. She sat it carefully on the bedside table, making sure it was in view. Emmy then laid in her bed and let her eyes fall as she dumped the rest of the pills into her mouth, forcing herself to swallow. She could her heart slowing down as she drifted into sleep. Right before the light went out, she heard a shrill scream. She tried to force her eyes open, but she couldn't. She felt herself being jostled around as everything went black. Then there was nothing.

Cadence was laid across his couch, watching a show that he had no idea what it was about. Emmy had ditched him after school and he could not figure out why. He gave up trying to guess what she was up to and decided he was hungry, so he headed to the kitchen to make himself a sandwich. On the way there the phone rang. Looking at the caller I.D. he realized that it was Emmy. Cadence flipped it open and answered breathlessly. "Hey kid! Where ya been? What happened today?", but the voice he heard wasn't Emmy. It was her mother. "Emmy is in the hospital...she’s dying."

The phone fell from his hand, his face going flat. Without thinking, Cadence grabbed his keys and rushed out the door, not bothering to lock it behind him. He drove as fast as he could, but it was never quite fast enough. He needed to see her face, know that she was alive. Everything passed in a blur and he before he knew what had happened he was standing in front of the counter at the hospital, the nurse handing him a small note.

Cadence's hands shook as he unfolded the small piece of paper. On thefront, Emmy's small script decorated the white paper. All it said was "Read Me". He squeezed his eyes shut one more time, trying to pretend this wasn't really happening. It wasn't until he heard the crunch did he notice that he had been clenching his fists. So, he gently smoothed out the paper. Finally he began reading Emmy's last note to the world. His eyes began filling with tears, but he ignored them as they ran freely down his cheeks.

Dear Reader,
    If you are reading this I am gone. Gone to Heaven or gone to Hell. Knowing my luck I'll just be plain gone, in a pit, deep in the ground. Life is just to hard me for me. Don't you see? I go home to a family that doesn't care. Dear old mom and dad are never around. They don't notice that their favorite little defect is spiraling farther and farther down the drain. Oh and don't even get me started on school. I could cut my arm off, but the teachers would never even notice. They'd just keep droning on and on. My life is nothing but a blank space. A dark night, but there is a sun in my night. Cadence, my Cade. My hero, my handle hold. You made it all worth waking up in the morning. I love you with all that I am. You saved me, from everything that would ever hurt me. Unfortunately you never saw what was truly hurting me. How
    could you? Even I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. I'm sorry. Wherever I end up, I'll miss you. I'm sorry if I hurt you, but I can't take this anymore. Goodbye for the last time.
    Emmy.

He stared at the paper in disbelief. Hadn't he tried so hard to save her? He had reached out to her in every way possible. Dropping his arms to his sides, he moved forward automatically. "Emmys' in this next room." he told himself. It was the only thing he could to do keep himself moving. Once he finally arrived at the door, he just gazed at the wood, not wanting to face Emmy. What would he say to her? What could he say? Finally, he set his face into an unreadable mask and pushed open the door.

Once Emmy came into view, he couldn't move. He just stared at her, his mouth hanging open slightly. She was so beautiful to him, even in this state. All the monitors and machines beeping around her made her look so weak. She looked fragile to him before, but now he feared she would break into pieces and just float away from him. She was sleeping, her chest rising and falling slowly. Cadence took a deep breath and forced himself to take the final steps to the side of her bed. Her eyelids fluttered briefly, causing Cadence to lurch towards her. He gently took her hand, kissing it softly, and watched her as she fought for her life.

Emmy just barely opened her eyes. "Cade?" she breathed quietly. He resisted the tears that were yet again filling his eyes. "I'm here kid. Don't worry. Your safe now." She weakly nodded her head as her breathing slowed to an even pace. "You're always safe with me...pinkie promise." In that moment, as he watched Emmy fade into sleep, he knew that his promise was true. He would never allow anything to hurt her ever again.

Cadence watched Emmy every second, waiting for her to wake up. Day after day, night after night. There he sat, for 3 weeks, waiting for her to smile at him. Every movement she made was a sign that she was getting better. He prayed silently for those moments to go from just small movements to opening her eyes and talking to him. He wanted to hear her voice again, wanted it more than anything else in the world. So much so, that it kept him awake into the late hours of the night. In the few hours that he did sleep, he tossed and turned, but when he actually fell into a deep sleep, Emmy's voice plagued his dreams. Every time he reached for her she whispered she was sorry and began to move away. Every time he would beg her stay, but she'd walk farther and farther away until he could no longer see her. That was usually when he sat up in his make-shift cot, screaming for her to come back.

Just seeing her laying in that hospital bed, her breath coming softly, lulled him back to a restless sleep. Then, just as his nights were restless, his days were miserable and full of pacing across the small span of Emmy's hospital room. Every few moments he would glance at her, hoping for her eyes to be open and watching him, but every few moments his hopes would be crushed as she continued her dreamless sleep. Then there were times when he would sit beside her bed, laying his head on her chest, and listen to her heart beat. The feeble beating that kept his heart from shattering. Each and every day progressed that way for 3 weeks. Three weeks of torture, three weeks of hanging on the edge of string that was threatening to snap.

One day Cadence woke up and it was different. He was smiling, happy for the first time since Emmy had tried to keep herself from him forever. Today was going to be good. He knew that it was, he didn't know how he knew, he just did. He turned his head toward Emmy and his heart leapt at what he saw. She was awake, watching him in fact. "I didn't want to wake you...you looked so peaceful." She whispered, a content smile on her face.
    Sometimes we rush in after the storm.
    Sometimes we ARE the storm.
  2. Senior Member
    I liked it, i think you should finish it!!!
  3. In the end I'm the only one that will stay faithful to me.
    In the end I'm the only one that will stay faithful to me.
    Aawuh. Thank you so much! I actually based the main character on my best guy friend. That's how we actually talk to each other.
    Sometimes we rush in after the storm.
    Sometimes we ARE the storm.