Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: learn to drive?

1. Senior Member

learn to drive?

Advertisements
    So I'm going to be 21 in a few months and I don't even have a permit yet. Let's face it I can't have my mom drive me everywhere forever. I'm really scared though. I'm afraid ill have anxiety everytime I'm in it or get into a fatal accident or something. I know that there's risks in everything but driving is a necessity in the end. Words of encouragement?
  2. Senior Member
    I feel much safer driving than when other people drive. Then it's up to me to not get in an accident, not someone else. Much more control. Driving gives you so much freedom. You're gonna start with small roads, not a highway so you can ease into harder things as you get more comfortable.
  3. Regular Member
    Your not the only one..I just got my permit and both of my YOUNGER brothers knew how to drive before me..They even tryed to give me lessons ..but once I got a little practice in around my neighborhood I felt a whole lot better about driving..The feeling of being scared goes away after a few practice runs..trust me
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Larissa View Post
    I feel much safer driving than when other people drive. Then it's up to me to not get in an accident, not someone else. Much more control. Driving gives you so much freedom. You're gonna start with small roads, not a highway so you can ease into harder things as you get more comfortable.
    This is basically how I feel as well.
  5. Senior Member
    I prefer to drive too.

First, go to an empty parking lot, and practice making turns, and putting on the breaks.
    Then I would start with small streets, just around your house, places your familiar with. it takes a while to get comfortable.

If i were you, i would call up a local driving school and get private lessons. It really helped me knowing that the instructor had a brake too. and the instructors know exactly what your going thru, and will give you the confidence you need. also, if it doesn't bother you being in a classroom with 15 yr olds, i would take the classes too. i actually learned a lot in mine. or maybe the instructor could give you private classroom instruction.

good luck!
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  6. Looking for the sunshine...
    Looking for the sunshine...

Do you normally suffer from anxiety? Or you just think you might because of your lack of experience driving?

Call for lessons. This way you should be more comfortable learning. I also think now it's a requirement in alot of states.
  7. Senior Member
    I agree on the lessons, and practice as much as you can!

Also if you can, learn how to drive a standard first. Like my dad said, if you learn how to drive a standard now, you can learn how to drive anything else. It's amazing how often that whole clutch/gas thing comes in handy lol.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I would definitely take lessons if possible, it was required in my state and I learned a lot from my instructor. I knew how to drive before that, my step father had me driving when I was much younger around the neighborhood and in the yard and such hehe, but when i actually needed to learn the rules and whatnot the instructor was very very helpful, and gave me a huge boost in confidence. I was scared to death I wouldn't be able to stay in the lines on the road, it's a lot easier then it sounds.

Start out small, in an empty lot like someone said before and the go to roads with little or no traffic as you get more comfortable, you can do it and before you know it you'll feel much better about it and be on the road by yourself! I too much rather be in control of the car then have someone else drive me around

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow Brite View Post
    There needs to be a blowing rainbows, sunshine, butterflies, and happiness up an asshole smiley.
    ]
  9. Senior Member

yes

Yes I do suffer from anxiety. I'd probably get that in control before I'd learn to drive but I'm scared to go back to therapy too. I'm a mess lol jk
    =)
    If it makes you feel any better, I'm almost 20 and have had my permit over 2 years. I'm totally anxiety ridden when it comes to driving, but I'm doing it all in my own time. One thing my therapist taught me was to envision yourself driving down a familiar empty road. Imagine everything you'd do to drive a car and slowly add things - turns, parking, additional cars, people, etc. For some reason, when you vet behind the wheel it's kind calming having seen yourself do it. Also, I agree on taking private lessons. Knowing someone else can stop the car if need be was soothing when I was getting my permit.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast