Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you scared of public speaking?

1. La Xicana
    La Xicana
    Blog Entries

Are you scared of public speaking?

Advertisements
    I read somewhere that one of the BIGGEST fears people in general have is public speaking. Some people would rather get hit by a car or some other drastic thing like that, than speak to a crowd of people

How are you with public speaking...or the things associated with it? Are you a good speaker? Do you project your voice well and in a clear strong manner? Do you give off a strong and confident presence?

I've pretty much always been good at public speaking from what I remember. When I was a kid I was in assemblies alot for Student of the Year and stuff like that, and I was never shy to speak in front of people. As I grew older, in high school I was involved ALOT in clubs and organizations, and always played a strong leadership role, public speaking always came naturally to me. And in college, needless to say when you are a student activist you can't be shy to speak up, LOL. I was very good at rallies and protests. And now in the adult world, I've never had a problem speaking in front of a crowd. I actually welcome it! LOL I guess some would call that a spotlight hog , but I actually like to speak to groups of people. I have a pretty loud voice, and I can project it very well. And in general, mainly if I'm prepared, I can give good presentations without really stuttering, etc. I think I'm a pretty strong presence when I'm in front of people. I"ve been told more than once that people like it when I present.
  2. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    it doesn't really scare me. i get a little nervous in big crowds, but it think that's normal. it's strange that i'm rather shy, but dont mind public speaking. i was valedictorian at my first college and delivered the commencement speech at graduation. i haven't spoken in front of a large crowd in a long time.
  3. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    by the way you rock for quoting frida in your sig i her
  4. Germany is my home!
    Germany is my home!
    I used to be very shy but I am not anymore I had to hold so many speeches on my exchange...I think the biggest crowd was about 1000 Rotarians....and believe me...not easy to keep old men entertained!
  5. Senior Member
  6. Yup... you STILL suck!
    Yup... you STILL suck!
    Blog Entries
    it scares the hell out of me.. I am pretty outgoing, but get me up in front of a bunch of people and I will completely freeze up

The true hypocrite is the one who ceases to perceive his deception, the one who lies with sincerity. ~André Gide
  7. aka Mrs Gibberish
    aka Mrs Gibberish
    I think I'm more nervous than anything and I HATE doing it. I CAN do it I just don't want to lol. I also have a soft voice so sometimes when I think I'm talking loud I'm really not. It just takes too much energy for me to talk loud and I tend to get tired. Yeah I'm a
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Most definitely! I'm TERRIFIED. I braved a speech at my best friends wedding in front of 250 guests, and I was literally shaking. Then I looked up and saw her crying at what I said and I realized how important and how much it meant to her that I was doing it and it was like she was the only one in the room after that. That's been about my only good experience, and I use the term "good" loosely.
  9. Senior Member
    I could never stand up in public and speak I would faint lol. I hate anything like that. Now if I knew everyone that would be different, I probably could manage it.
    Navy Wife
  10. Senior Member
    I CAN do it, especially if I am very confident in the topic... but if I have to think about it too much (as in wait for my turn) or if I feel unprepared or something else is a little "off" then I am terrified, and I will actually start physically and audibly shaking like no tomorrow.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast