Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Thread: 52 Books in 52 weeks 2018!

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    I've reached 52. I'd have to go back and look at the full list to categorise them properly, but I think I hit a good variety and I enjoyed most of them?
    Yay!! You did it!! I know I don't comment much but I have admired the variety of your selections as I've seen your posts! Great job!!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Month Nine
    43. Duma Key by Stephen King
    44. The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
    45. The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah
    46. Lethal White by Robert Galbraith
  3. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by lavender_jane View Post
    Yay!! You did it!! I know I don't comment much but I have admired the variety of your selections as I've seen your posts! Great job!!
    Thank you. Printed paper is a minor vice of mine; I’m that annoying person who goes shopping and comes back with books instead of anything sensible. I’m always and forever asking Husband to build me new shelves.

There are still three months to go, so I may just keep going.

53: If This Is A Man by Primo Levi. An Italian chemist, sent to Auschwitz by the Nazis, begins his descent into hell.

54: The Truce by Primo Levi. Having fallen into hell, the Italian chemist slowly climbs back out of it. I love The Truce - both this and its predecessor are beautifully written, and you need to read both to see the whole narrative play out, but If This Is A Man is almost soul-destroying, and The Truce is...almost distilled joy. Chapter by chapter, as he gets closer and closer to being able to go home to Turin, you get to watch a man rediscover that he’s not dead yet, and that his life is worth having.

55: Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. The prophecy makes it very clear that the world will end on a Saturday. Next Saturday, in fact. Sometime just after tea. Unfortunately...well, look, they may be an angel and a demon, but Azuraphale and Crowley have had several thousand years to get used to each other, they had plans for Sunday, and frankly they’re just not ready for Armageddon yet! This is great fun, and I’d quite like to own Crowley’s car.

Quote Originally Posted by lavender_jane View Post
    Month Nine
    43. Duma Key by Stephen King
    44. The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
    45. The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah
    46. Lethal White by Robert Galbraith
    I’ve had my eye on The Song of Achilles for a while...what did you think?

I meant to ask you about the Tara Westover (*Educated*, I think it was called?) you read a few months ago as well.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  4. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    53: If This Is A Man by Primo Levi. An Italian chemist, sent to Auschwitz by the Nazis, begins his descent into hell.

54: The Truce by Primo Levi. Having fallen into hell, the Italian chemist slowly climbs back out of it. I love The Truce - both this and its predecessor are beautifully written, and you need to read both to see the whole narrative play out, but If This Is A Man is almost soul-destroying, and The Truce is...almost distilled joy. Chapter by chapter, as he gets closer and closer to being able to go home to Turin, you get to watch a man rediscover that he’s not dead yet, and that his life is worth having.

55: Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. The prophecy makes it very clear that the world will end on a Saturday. Next Saturday, in fact. Sometime just after tea. Unfortunately...well, look, they may be an angel and a demon, but Aziraphale and Crowley have had several thousand years to get used to each other, they had plans for Sunday, and frankly they’re just not ready for Armageddon yet! This is great fun, and I’d quite like to own Crowley’s car.

56: Switch Bitch by Roald Dahl. A book of short stories. I've had to hide this one from my kids - they assume that anything that says ROALD DAHL in big letters across the front cover must be a children's book, meant for them. This is...not. Very not.

57: 30 Days of Night by Steve Niles and Ben Templesmith. A small town in Alaska sits so far north that when winter comes the sun doesn't rise for thirty days. This makes it the perfect hunting ground for vampires...

58: The Raven in the Foregate by Ellis Peters. Father Ailnoth is the new parish priest in the district, but he's not a very personable one. In his first week, he upsets literally every person he interacts with in Shrewsbury, sometimes very badly - refusing to baptise a dying baby and then refusing to bury it because it wasn't baptised, hitting the children with his stick, accusing the baker of cheating him. Then he disappears. Twelfth of the Cadfael books.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789