Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite...

1. Regular Member

Exclamation What's your favorite...

Advertisements
    Hello everyone,

With the recent sticky thread of the "52 books, in 52 weeks"
    I've been inspired. I'm already done with two books (only started reading the past couple of weeks) and I'm about to start my third, but I'm running out of books that I genuinely want to read. I've been hunting on Barnes & Nobles website and have seen a few titles that may be interesting, but I want others opinions as well.
    So give me titles of your favorite books no matter what genre...as well as the reason you like the book!
    I prefer to stay away from series though (except Harry Potter) because if I read one book and HATE it, I still feel obligated to finish the series because it bothers me not to finish it (weird, I know) but nonetheless, I just need suggestions.

I'm open to pretty much anything, but mystery type books or anything that has a good plot twist always grab my attention. Fiction or Non-Fiction.

I'm really just trying to avoid buying books that I think sound good by the description online, to only hate it and waste money on something I'm never going to read again. Plus I want a chance to expand my vocabulary even more, because that is always a plus.
  2. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher (you will cry but it's SOOOO GOOD!)
    If I was your girl by Meredith Russo
    Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon
    All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven (OMG you're gonna bawl your eyes out but so worth it)
    The Dead Key by D.M. Pulley (mystery)
    The Memory Box by Eva Lesko Natiello
    Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll
    You by Caroline Kepnes (DON'T READ THE SECOND ONE YOU DON'T NEED IT)
    Second Life by S.J. Watson

Also if you like big twists anything by Gillian Flynn!

3. Senior Member
    Gone Girl
    The Glass Castle

Not necessarily my favorites but definitely worth a read.

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    Gone Girl
    The Glass Castle

Not necessarily my favorites but definitely worth a read.
    I totally agree with Gone Girl especially since you like mysteries. The Girl on the Train is similar and I enjoyed it.

I just wanted to throw in that The Glass Castle can be very triggering. I found it very upsetting and it stirred up a lot of old feelings from my mother who suffered a lot of abuse as a child.

Also Timeline by Michael Crichton will forever be one of my favorites, but it's sci-fi/action. I've really enjoyed everything I've read from Michael Crichton.
  5. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

Room by Emma Donghue was a favorite but it's a VERY sad and triggering story.
    I read Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult recently too because there was like a big controversy on it letting teens read it in high school. I see why but it was a good one.

Harry Potter obviously

6. Regular Member
    I'm reading the overview of many of the books you all have mentioned and let me tell you...I'm about go on a binge and spend a good chunk on these books! (Hope DH doesn't mind too much )
    I'm so excited now!

BTW...not that anyone asked (since I did) but a good book suggestion is Promise Me by Richard Paul Evans...such a good read!!

Of course Harry Potter...ALWAYS
  7. Regular Member
    Anything written by Jodi Picoult rules, honestly. I read so many of her books while I was bored during my downtime as a lifeguard.

I really enjoyed the books that True Blood is based on, the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. They're super entertaining & I tried to watch True Blood after I read them, but the TV show just wasn't as good lol
    https://66.media.tumblr.com/3a006e1a506c9f8649f4d809726f2d43/tumblr_nwtutw4zvG1sa8ezpo8_r1_250.gif
  8. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Figgychick View Post
    I'm reading the overview of many of the books you all have mentioned and let me tell you...I'm about go on a binge and spend a good chunk on these books! (Hope DH doesn't mind too much )
    I'm so excited now!

BTW...not that anyone asked (since I did) but a good book suggestion is Promise Me by Richard Paul Evans...such a good read!!

Of course Harry Potter...ALWAYS
    You should look at bookbub.com if you use e-books. They have deals and show you when books are free so you can get them cheaper.

9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    If you are into "soft-core" fantasy at all, I highly recommend The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear. They are part of a trilogy, but book 3 isn't done yet. They are really good and people who like HP tend to like them.

I Eelizah
  10. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by April Lynne View Post
    You should look at bookbub.com if you use e-books. They have deals and show you when books are free so you can get them cheaper.
    I typically would rather have a physical book to read, just because I'm weird like that...but hey, I wouldn't turn down a free book! Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
    If you are into "soft-core" fantasy at all, I highly recommend The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear. They are part of a trilogy, but book 3 isn't done yet. They are really good and people who like HP tend to like them.
    I've really never thought about reading soft-core/fantasy type books, but hey I'll give it a shot!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast