Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 52 books in 52 weeks: 2017 edition

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Lv. Percent
    14.24%

52 books in 52 weeks: 2017 edition

Advertisements
    Anyone want to do this again this year? I didn't do so hot last year but hope to get to read more this year!

1. The Magnolia Story- Chip and Joanna Gaines

2. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Lv. Percent
    4.52%
    Not doing 52 this year my goal is 35 which is 10 more than I read last year but I'm off to a decent start:

1. Tell Me Three Things- Julie Buxbaum
    2. Girls in the Moon- Janet McNally

3. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    8.97%
    My goal is 52. Last year I hit 78 with a goal of 40.

1. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
    2. The Danish Girl by David Ebershoff
    3. Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman
    4. Night by Elie Wiesel
    5. Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse
    6. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
    7. The Secret Lives of Dresses by Erin McKean
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Lv. Percent
    97.22%

Finally reading Harry Potter!

1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
    2. " Chamber of Secrets
    3. " Prisoner of Azkaban
    4. " Goblet of Fire
  5. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    34.49%
    1: From Hell by Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell. Jack the Ripper, as a graphic novel.

2: Cuentos de Eva Luna (Stories of Eva Luna) by Isabel Allende. Short story collection...but an interesting one, as it's framed as stories told by a character from another of Allende's novels. Having established Eva Luna as a fictional storyteller, she wrote the stories themselves separately.
    Last edited by Matchbox; 06-25-2017 at 08:11 PM.
  6. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    8.97%
    Quote Originally Posted by daisyluvbug View Post
    My goal is 52. Last year I hit 78 with a goal of 40.

1. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
    2. The Danish Girl by David Ebershoff
    3. Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman
    4. Night by Elie Wiesel
    5. Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse
    6. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
    7. The Secret Lives of Dresses by Erin McKean
    8. Not My Father's Son: A Memoir by Alan Cumming
    9. The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
    10. The Selection by Keira Cass
    11. The Elite by Keira Cass
    12. The One by Keira Cass
    13. Summerlost by Ally Condie
  7. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Lv. Percent
    4.52%
    Quote Originally Posted by April Lynne View Post
    Not doing 52 this year my goal is 35 which is 10 more than I read last year but I'm off to a decent start:

1. Tell Me Three Things- Julie Buxbaum
    2. Girls in the Moon- Janet McNally
    3. The Grownup- Gillian Flynn
    4. Red Queen- Victoria Aveyard (currently reading)

8. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    72.22%
    I've never done this before, but it seems awesome and like a lot of fun!

1. Without Rival- Lisa Bevere
    2. Lioness Arising- Lisa Bevere
  9. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    34.49%
    Quote Originally Posted by daisyluvbug View Post
    8. Not My Father's Son: A Memoir by Alan Cumming
    9. The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
    10. The Selection by Keira Cass
    11. The Elite by Keira Cass
    12. The One by Keira Cass
    13. Summerlost by Ally Condie
    Good GOD you're fast, Daisy!

My list continues to grow. Audiobooks, I love you, you're keeping me sane.

1: From Hell by Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell. Jack the Ripper, as a graphic novel.

2: Cuentos de Eva Luna (Stories of Eva Luna) by Isabel Allende. Short story collection...but an interesting one, as it's framed as stories told by a character from another of Allende's novels. Having established Eva Luna as a fictional storyteller, she wrote the stories themselves separately.

3: Eye of the Needle by Ken Follett. WW2 spy romp, trying to catch a German spy before he contacts his handlers and blows a catastrophic hole in the plans for D-Day. Follett writes a mean thriller, but his sex scenes make me giggle.

4: The Turkish Embassy Letters by Mary Wortley Montagu. In 1716, England appointed a new ambassador to Turkey. When he travelled to take up his post in Constantinople, his wife Mary travelled with him. She wrote a lot of letters home, to her mother and her sister and a very bright circle of friends...going through these letters now, she's very observant, viciously funny and comes with some fascinating things to say about what she sees.

Just started

5: Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell. An old favourite, I honestly love this book. Everything he has to say about scrubbing pots in Paris...

The kitchen was like nothing I had ever seen or imagined—a stifling, low-ceilinged inferno of a cellar, red-lit from the fires, and deafening with oaths and the clanging of pots and pans. It was so hot that all the metal-work except the stoves had to be covered with cloth. In the middle were furnaces, where twelve cooks skipped to and fro, their faces dripping sweat in spite of their white caps. Round that were counters where a mob of waiters and plongeurs clamoured with trays. Scullions, naked to the waist, were stoking the fires and scouring huge copper saucepans with sand. Everyone seemed to be in a hurry and a rage. The head cook, a fine, scarlet man with big moustachios, stood in the middle booming continuously, ‘ca marche deux aufs brouilles! ca marche un chateaubriand aux pommes sautees!’ except when he broke off to curse at a plongeur. There were three counters, and the first time I went to the kitchen I took my tray unknowingly to the wrong one. The head cook walked up to me, twisted his moustaches, and looked me up and down. Then he beckoned to the breakfast cook and pointed at me.

‘Do you see that? That is the type of plongeur they send us nowadays. Where do you come from, idiot? From Charenton, I suppose?’ (There is a large lunatic asylum at Charenton.)

‘From England,’ I said.

‘I might have known it. Well, mon cher monsieur l’anglais, may I inform you that you are the son of a whore? And now—de camp to the other counter, where you belong.’

I got this kind of reception every time I went to the kitchen, for I always made some mistake; I was expected to know the work, and was cursed accordingly. From curiosity I counted the number of times I was called maquereau during the day, and it was thirty-nine.

I worked again till a quarter past nine, when the waiter put his head into the doorway and told me to leave the rest of the crockery. To my astonishment, after calling me pig, mackerel, etc., all day, he had suddenly grown quite friendly. I realized that the curses I had met with were only a kind of probation.

That’ll do, mon p’tit,’ said the waiter. ‘Tu n’es pas debrouillard, but you work all right. Come up and have your dinner. The hotel allows us two litres of wine each, and I’ve stolen another bottle. We’ll have a fine booze.’

We had an excellent dinner from the leavings of the higher employees.
    Seventy years later and kitchen work has not changed very much!
    Last edited by Matchbox; 06-25-2017 at 08:11 PM.
  10. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    34.49%

3: Eye of the Needle by Ken Follett. WW2 spy romp, trying to catch a German spy before he contacts his handlers and blows a catastrophic hole in the plans for D-Day. Follett writes a mean thriller, but his sex scenes make me giggle.

4: The Turkish Embassy Letters by Mary Wortley Montagu. In 1716, England appointed a new ambassador to Turkey. When he travelled to take up his post in Constantinople, his wife Mary travelled with him. She wrote a lot of letters home, to her mother and her sister and a very bright circle of friends...going through these letters now, she's very observant, viciously funny and comes with some fascinating things to say about what she sees.

5: Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell. An old favourite, slumming it in Paris and living as a tramp in London.

6: He Died With A Felafel In His Hand by John Birmingham. Seedy sharehouses, dubious housemates, general hilarity.
    Last edited by Matchbox; 06-25-2017 at 08:12 PM.
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast