Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: ASOIAF readers!! Suggestions please!

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

ASOIAF readers!! Suggestions please!

Advertisements
    Ok, so I'm about to start Feast for Crows and I've spent the past year contemplating on if I would do a combined read with Dance with Dragons. I have a friend who's a huge ASOIAF fan and he suggested to read them as is. But I know that back-tracking for DwD may confuse me... as it is, I often have to refer to the back of the book for House lineages or I go onto ASOIAF wiki to get recaps on certain characters. So not sure if my brain will function with all this GRRM backtracking and intertwined story lines . But of course... he split them for a reason and readers have survived thus far.

I found this link on a "first-timers" combined read: ALL LEATHER MUST BE BOILED: A new reader
    It looks pretty legit and the OP references how they came to this order so I feel like it's pretty solid. Another reader actually spliced each chapter of each book and re-combined them into a solid read: A Ball of Beasts - Home. Which is also pretty fascinating...and something I wish I could print.

Have any of you done a combined read or have another order list?

Thanks!!!
  2. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

I wouldn't do the combined read. I read them how they were written. Still not done with A Dance With Dragons, but I'm glad I didn't combine read it with A Feast For Crows.

<3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by germy View Post
    I wouldn't do the combined read. I read them how they were written. Still not done with A Dance With Dragons, but I'm glad I didn't combine read it with A Feast For Crows.
    He wrote them at relatively the same time since they overlap. But I do see what you're saying and that's why I've been conflicted. I've heard pros and cons for both... on pro on the combined is that things happen faster and some consider it more "enjoyable" since you get to re-cap certain situations/events from the different POVs that help you pick up on small important pieces that may be over looked... but on the con side, people say that it can take agessssss to keep up with certain POV chapters (like Bran or Arya chapters are 300ish pages apart in some instances).

I'm mostly just concerned that it'll take me a while to read Feast (Storm took me a year since I had other things going on) and then when I get to Dance, I won't pick up on certain parts since it's been a while. IDK!!!!!
  4. One does not simply Ewok into Endor

Quote Originally Posted by #luci View Post
    He wrote them at relatively the same time since they overlap. But I do see what you're saying and that's why I've been conflicted. I've heard pros and cons for both... on pro on the combined is that things happen faster and some consider it more "enjoyable" since you get to re-cap certain situations/events from the different POVs that help you pick up on small important pieces that may be over looked... but on the con side, people say that it can take agessssss to keep up with certain POV chapters (like Bran or Arya chapters are 300ish pages apart in some instances).

I'm mostly just concerned that it'll take me a while to read Feast (Storm took me a year since I had other things going on) and then when I get to Dance, I won't pick up on certain parts since it's been a while. IDK!!!!!
    The time period of things happening in the books are the same but he wrote them at different times because when he got to a certain point in AFFC he had to stop or it would have been a bajillion pages long. It's totally up to you how you want to read it. I'm just glad I didn't combine read because there were so many Cersei chapters in AFFC and there haven't been any so far in ADWD and I'm enjoying the break away from her.

5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by germy View Post
    The time period of things happening in the books are the same but he wrote them at different times because when he got to a certain point in AFFC he had to stop or it would have been a bajillion pages long. It's totally up to you how you want to read it. I'm just glad I didn't combine read because there were so many Cersei chapters in AFFC and there haven't been any so far in ADWD and I'm enjoying the break away from her.
    Bahahaha I'll add that to the "read separate" pro list!

Perhaps if I'm more consistent with reading them (I vow not to stretch this out a year) then I can get through both within a few months.
  6. One does not simply Ewok into Endor

Quote Originally Posted by #luci View Post
    Bahahaha I'll add that to the "read separate" pro list!

Perhaps if I'm more consistent with reading them (I vow not to stretch this out a year) then I can get through both within a few months.
    Yes, that is definitely a pro!

I feel you. It takes me a while to get through them as well. I took a break from AFFC and read two other entire series before picking it up again to finish it. I've been reading ADWD for a bit now and I'm just at the halfway point. This one is so long. If I read at night instead of watching Dexter, I'd probably be done with it by now. Ah well.

7. Senior Member
    I read them seperate but want to do a combined reread. It wasn't confusing backtracking for me, personally. They were written together and separated for publication so... Idk. I get why they were seperated because you can't publish a book that big. I think the deciding factor for me the first read through was laziness and not wanting to have to switch between two books. I love rereading these books, though! I've done single character rereads and stuff it's super fun all the stuff you pick up on that you otherwise would have missed doing that!

The boiled leather one is the reread I'm going to do, I think.