Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: James Pattersons' Middle School books....

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

James Pattersons' Middle School books....

Advertisements
    Has anyone, or their child I guess, read them? DS is 12 and finding something he is interested in reading is a struggle. He has read all of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books and LOVED them, so I'm trying to find something similar. With the AR program here he has to get his points each quarter and it was an issue last year because he just doesn't enjoy reading much of anything - but the Diary books he will pick up and voluntarily read for hours -- I so wish there were more of them
  2. Senior Member
    Harlan Coben (most know for his Myron Bolitar series about a sports agent who gets drawn into solving various crimes) has a YA series out about Myron's nephew, Mickey. I think right now there are 2 books in the series. It might be a good choice since the main character is a boy, which is what young male readers tend to want. You might also check out Maze Runner, another male protagonist series. It's dsytopian and a bit like Hunger Games, I suppose, so if the HG content would be appropriate for your kid, these should be as well. It's a trilogy. It will be coming out as a move next year, I think, so it might be easier to get him excited about it if you let him know that. Kids seem to like the "movie" stamp on a book.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    THANK YOU, Villanelle!
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I read one of the Witch and Wizard series by Patterson and didn't like it at all. It was hard to get into and just not great. You could look into the Mortal INstruments series. I'm not sure what level your ds reads at. I can ask my sister too, she always seems really versed in this stuff.

Oh and I'd be letting myself down if I didn't say Harry Potter.
  5. Senior Member
    Another series with a male protagonist is the Curseworkers series. I think there are about 4 books. I read them a year or two ago. I'm too lazy to look up the author, but they are all 2 word titles, with a color being the first word (White Cat, Red Glove, etc. though I may have the colors wrong). There is a class of people who have the ability to perform various categories of curses, but using their skills is outlawed. In general, however, the civilization is pretty close to modern reality, so there is the horrible dsytopian world like you find in Hunger Games or Maze Runner.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.
    Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.

Hmm. There is a series by James Patterson about a few kids that had some sort of experiment on them and have wings. GAH Im seriously trying so hard to remember the name. I liked it a lot. Ill try to look it up for you.

Also, I of course have to say the Mortal Instruments series. And Harry Potter. I also liked the Midnighters books, they are about kids who have an extra, secret hour in the day and fight ancient creatures with math (It sounds really weird, but I got pretty wrapped up in it).

I cant vouch for my husband's choices, Ive never read them, and I also have no idea what reading level they are, but he really likes the books by R L Salvatore. He read them a lot in early high school, and still reads them now.

AHA The books by James Patterson are called Maximum Ride. (Thank you, google for reading my mind.)

Lastly, I really enjoyed Chaos Walking series by Patrick Ness. The first one is called The Knife of Never Letting Go. It was a little weird to get into, but got better as I went along. And the story sucked me in. I never got a chance to read the second one because I was on the waiting list for like a year and a half before my library card expired, but Ive thought about, even now, going back and reading it.

The Knife of Never Letting Go
    Mortal Instruments Series Book 1
    Maximum Ride Book 1
    The Midnighters Book 1

I hope these help. I have no idea if they are on the correct reading level, I just wanted to throw a few titles out there that I remembered reading around that age. Although I spent most of my time nose deep in Harry Potter at 12, so most of these were read around 14-15. I put the Amazon links so you can look at a few pages of the books and see if they are the type of reading your son might be interested in.

ETA The Knife of Never Letting Go is somewhat violent. I just remembered that. So maaaaybe Im not very good at these recommendations. Sorry!
    Last edited by Phoenixx.; 08-20-2013 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Added.

7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I fell in love with Harry potter around 11/12.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Thank you all for the great suggestions. So much more to go on now when we make our next stop at the library (he got his own library card a couple of weeks ago and is loving it)
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I know that my daughter read his Maximum Ride series and enjoyed them. I'm not sure if she's read the Witch and Wizard series yet or not. She hasn't unpacked all of her book boxes yet, and when I just checked her room the Maximum Ride series were the only James Patterson books on her shelf just yet.

She also like a lot of Rick Riordian's books. She is very much into mythology and his books are heavy into different mythology genres if that interests your son. He authored the Percy Jackson series and a few other series.

And the Harry Potter books and Hunger Games trilogy!
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelly View Post
    I read one of the Witch and Wizard series by Patterson and didn't like it at all. It was hard to get into and just not great. You could look into the Mortal INstruments series. I'm not sure what level your ds reads at. I can ask my sister too, she always seems really versed in this stuff.

Oh and I'd be letting myself down if I didn't say Harry Potter.
    Well, per last year's testing he was at a 10th grade level for comprehension/ability, but on the flip side a lot of his interests tend to be below his age/grade level as far as what he likes, etc - he's complicated, lol.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast