Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Books at thrift stores.

1. Senior Member

Books at thrift stores.

Advertisements
    Okay! So tomorrow I am going to the thrift store across town that has tons of books! So I need a recommendation list of books that were decently popular and a bit older (more likely to find at a thrift shop). If I don't spend a small fortune when I'm done, I'm doing it wrong!

I particularly enjoy:
    Memoirs--the dysfunctional type, especially
    Young Adult, angsty stuff
    Fantasy & Sci Fi that's deep enough to not be silly
    Thriller/Mystery/Compulsive page turners
    Classics that aren't too cumbersome. This is for enjoyment reading so bogged down is not what I'd be interested in.

I'm honestly not too picky but that gives you some direction

Give me what you've got!
  2. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    Anything by Jodi Piccoult (except for the one with humpback whale in the title, that one sucked) and God Grew Tired of Us.

Oh hell, now I have to go browse my books but those are a few to get you started.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Sally View Post
    Anything by Jodi Piccoult (except for the one with humpback whale in the title, that one sucked) and God Grew Tired of Us.

Oh hell, now I have to go browse my books but those are a few to get you started.

THIS! I always also see Sookie Stackhouse series there at second hand stores. Those are always great!
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Room by Emma Donoghue. I actually got my copy at a thrift store and WOW. Be prepared to get knocked on your butt and get sucked into every single word of the book.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally View Post

Does God Grew Tired of Us resemble the documentary of the same name? Loved that documentary. It's about young men from Africa (Kenya maybe?) who gain asylum and sponsorship in the US and their transition here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Kaepernick View Post
    THIS! I always also see Sookie Stackhouse series there at second hand stores. Those are always great!
    I posted this on Facebook and you're the second person to suggest it! So I'll look into that!

Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    Room by Emma Donoghue. I actually got my copy at a thrift store and WOW. Be prepared to get knocked on your butt and get sucked into every single word of the book.
    Are you following me? I just put that on my Goodreads list last night and I'm hooked just by the synopsis.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Katayoun View Post
    Are you following me? I just put that on my Goodreads list last night and I'm hooked just by the synopsis.
    Noooo...

But really, my husband just started reading it, so it's fresh in my mind as a suggestion lol. I was GLUED to it the entire book.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    Noooo...

But really, my husband just started reading it, so it's fresh in my mind as a suggestion lol. I was GLUED to it the entire book.
    When I was reading about it last night, I was angry I didn't have the book right then. I WANT IT NOW.

Also, I read Divergent and thought it was pretty good then (SPOILER ALERT, BELOW)

I got to the last 50 pages and was like "Hooooolllleeeeee fuuuuck! This is what everyone was raving about"
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Janet evonovich's number series.
    Do you have a kindle?
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"