Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Authors/series suggestions?

1. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!

Help Authors/series suggestions?

Advertisements
    I know this is a ludicrous fear, but I am seriously afraid I may be running out of fictional series to read.

Can someone suggest good mystery writing - historical or contemporary?

I'm currently reading series by Elizabeth George, Anne Perry (both Monk and Charlotte and Thomas Pitt), and Jacqueline Winspear.

My favorite author of all times is Dick Francis. I've also read Mary Higgins Clark, Tom Clancy, Tony Hillerman, Jeffrey Deaver, Rex Stout . . . . . .

I'm willing to branch out (yes, I love Harry Potter) but part of the problem is I'm borrowing through a statewide electronic library, so availability is sketchy.

for any suggestions you might have!
  2. phi
    Guided by His Word
    Guided by His Word
    I am reading George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" Saga. You might of heard of it...the first name of the book in the series is called "A Game of Thrones" I have never watched the HBO series, I just started reading the books. It's pretty good but it is character heavy. I know I'm enjoying it.
  3. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Iris Johansen's Eve Duncan Series. It's practically a never ending series

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Hm, mystery?

I'm not sure how you feel about crudeness and profanity, but if you don't mind it, then Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn was a very popular novel. The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom was outstanding, though it's more of a drama than a mystery. The Light Between Oceans by M.L Stedman is supposed to be VERY good and it is a suspense novel-- I plan on reading it sometime this year. Also, The Kill Room by Anthony Deaver is supposed to be very good. A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini is supposed to be great too. Oh and I've heard that The Paris Wife by Paula McLain is great

Ah, and I actually have The Round House by Louise Erdrich checked out and sitting on the arm of my couch right now-- it's supposed to be fabulous and enthralling, though very pathos-focused, which will be somewhat new for me. I'm excited to start it! Just have to finish A Clash of Kings (book two of the ASOIAF series by George R.R Martin) first

ETA: Just realized that most of those are single books, not series. I fail Sorry, apparently my brain isn't fully functional right now. For series, I would recommend:

A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R Martin
    Abhorsen series by Garth Nix
    Divergent series by Veronica Roth
    Sevenwaters trilogy by Juliet Marillier (one of my FAVORITE series of all time, hands down)
    the Pern novels by Anne McCaffrey (I own almost all of them lol-- her world is so rich and incredible)
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

5. Banned
    Banned
    Shirley Rousseau Murphy's Joe Gray series. I love it!

Diane Mott Davidson is good too.

Diva digs up the dirt is a good book and part of a series as well.

Jacqueline Winspear is phenomenal.

Julie Hyzy is enjoyable as well. She writes two series, one about a White House chef and a museum curator.

Try those!
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    Hm, mystery?

I'm not sure how you feel about crudeness and profanity, but if you don't mind it, then Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn was a very popular novel. The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom was outstanding, though it's more of a drama than a mystery. The Light Between Oceans by M.L Stedman is supposed to be VERY good and it is a suspense novel-- I plan on reading it sometime this year. Also, The Kill Room by Anthony Deaver is supposed to be very good. A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini is supposed to be great too. Oh and I've heard that The Paris Wife by Paula McLain is great

Ah, and I actually have The Round House by Louise Erdrich checked out and sitting on the arm of my couch right now-- it's supposed to be fabulous and enthralling, though very pathos-focused, which will be somewhat new for me. I'm excited to start it! Just have to finish A Clash of Kings (book two of the ASOIAF series by George R.R Martin) first

ETA: Just realized that most of those are single books, not series. I fail Sorry, apparently my brain isn't fully functional right now. For series, I would recommend:

A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R Martin
    Abhorsen series by Garth Nix
    Divergent series by Veronica Roth
    Sevenwaters trilogy by Juliet Marillier (one of my FAVORITE series of all time, hands down)
    the Pern novels by Anne McCaffrey (I own almost all of them lol-- her world is so rich and incredible)
    I was just going to suggest Divergent. SO GOOD. I haven't gotten this into a series in a while!
  7. I am a proud chihuahua momma!
    I am a proud chihuahua momma!
    Quote Originally Posted by phi View Post
    I am reading George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" Saga. You might of heard of it...the first name of the book in the series is called "A Game of Thrones" I have never watched the HBO series, I just started reading the books. It's pretty good but it is character heavy. I know I'm enjoying it.
    Ditto!!! I have watched all 3 seasons and since the next one probably won't start until the Spring, I started reading the books. Sooooo good!!! On the second one now!
  8. Senior Member
    Mysteries aren't my thing but I'll ask my mama next time we talk.

“It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone.”
    ― Rose Kennedy
  9. Regular Member
    Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon. I have just started it about a month and a half ago and it is EXCELLENT!
  10. Regular Member
    Nora Roberts
    Christina Dodd
    Lara Adrian (Midnight Breed Series)
    Diana Palmer