Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Starting a book club

1. Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Blog Entries

Starting a book club

Advertisements
    I've never been a part of a real book club before. A few friends and I tried once in college but we met once and it didn't really work out.

At church there are several girls (at least 5) who have expressed interest in a book club. No one is starting anything and I thought I would give it a shot. I have LOADS of books, but aside from like two of them, I only have one copy.

I don't really know how it works. Any ideas? Have you been in one? What's worked best? Anything fun you did to keep things interesting?

Thanks for all your input!
  2. Senior Member
    I've started one (with other people) and we decided to read one fiction and one non-fiction each "month". (We usually met every 6 weeks or so, not monthly. This worked for us because we were a small group so we could just find a date for our next meeting that worked for everyone, rather than meeting the second Tuesday of the month, or something regular like that.)

Because we were small, we all brought suggestions each month and then discussed them and decided as a group. Another approach (better for a larger group) is to either let the hostess pick (or have her bring 3 options and let the group vote), or have everyone who wants to bring 3 options, and the group votes for their favorite from each person's list, and that becomes your reading list for the next X months. I think the last idea is good for a diverse group because everyone gets a book that they like onto the reading list, and because some people want to know more than a month or two out what they books are.

You don't need more than one copy. Each person is generally responsible for getting their own copy of the book however they want to do so.

Depending on how much you actually want to talk about the book (most book clubs I am familiar with are very social and not very serious), you could ask each person to bring a thought provoking question about the book and/or ask the person who picked the book to bring 3-5 discussion questions. But I think it works best when you just chat and accept that maybe only 20% or the conversation will be about the book at all. Just let the conversation happen organically.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I started a book club with my girls! I named our book club "Book<3" (Book Love) and made them all bookmarks with the logo, and their name on it.

We do one book a month, and meet at the home of whomever chose the book. If there is a movie adaptation, we watch the movie, and discuss both afterwards. There is also food that is relevent to the book! It is usually dependent on the area that the story takes place, or specific foods that have been mentioned in the book.

“Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.”
    -Khalil Gibran

"Depth over distance every time my dear;
    and this tree of ours may grow tall in the woods;
    but it's the roots that will bind us here,
    to the ground."
    -Ben Howard, Depth Over Distance
  4. Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Blog Entries
    Ah!! I never saw your responses to this! Glad I checked back in!

But thank you, these are great suggestions and ideas! I also really like watching the movie adaptation if available. Gives you more to talk about I'm sure. haha

Do either of you notice any type of book that does better, is more widely accepted by the group? Like a genre that people are most interested in?
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I feel the book club really expands on my interest in different genres.

I am really into stories based on true accounts of drug use, drug cartels, life struggles, dystopian/utopian worlds, old English novels about kings and queens, girly-easy-fun reads, etc.

I, however, wasn't into mystery books. One of the girls chose a mystery book for the particular month, and I loved it. So, it was really, really good in that aspect.

“Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.”
    -Khalil Gibran

"Depth over distance every time my dear;
    and this tree of ours may grow tall in the woods;
    but it's the roots that will bind us here,
    to the ground."
    -Ben Howard, Depth Over Distance
  6. Senior Member
    I think that the kind of books really depends on the group. Some like more serious stuff like non-fiction that tackles tough subjects and serious literary fiction. Others want to read The Devil Wears Prada and other chick-lit. In part, I think this is why it's good to let the group collectively pick the books, but it might make sense to have a very general guideline so people don't get turned off. Somewhere in the middle seems to be a sweet spot, so you could just tell the group that while romance novels and fluffy chick-lit aren't the kind of thing the group will read, you also won't be tackling Ulysses, either.

Chick lit and other fluff doesn't usually have enough to bring on good discussion. ("Which of her two love interest did you think was hotter?" only goes so far.) But really, really challenging reads may turn off some readers who don't want to put quite that much effort into it.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski