Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling all READERS - What makes it good?

1. Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Blog Entries

Calling all READERS - What makes it good?

Advertisements
    I have come up with the INSANE idea to make a goal of actually finishing a novel by the time I am done with graduate school. Don't ask, I have no idea what has possessed me to do such a thing.

I have started numerous novels in my life time. I have had dozens of plot lines, stories, characters all written out for ages. Before I got my bachelors in Psychology, I was actually a creative writing major for 2 years. I'm only 9 credits shy of getting my bachelors in English. (I should have double majored.)

I have a question for all you readers out there.

What makes a story, a plot line interesting enough for you to want to read the book?

I have finally stumbled across a story and content that I am passionate about and really want to move forward with it. I don't have all the details yet and have to do a ton of research before I continue, but I wanted some input from you all.

What makes the back of a book good enough for you to want to read it? Is it a genre? Does it have to be during a certain time in history? Are there things that absolutely can or cannot be included in the book?

Thank you so much for your feedback!
  2. Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Blog Entries
  3. Regular Member
    On a superficial level, I love books with short chapters. I would rather read a book with 100 chapters, each only a few pages long, than a ten chapter book with pages that go on and on. I feel like I have read more that way, and nothing is worse than wanting to stop reading but being in the middle of a really long chapter.

On a more content-wise level, it is all about characters for me. I want to be immersed in who they are and what they are going through. And I love dialogue. Witty banter, questions, the works. Character development with witty banter? My bread and butter.

I read all types of books, but it is about giving me something that makes me want to turn each page.

I have recently been in the middle of my second novel, so I know what you mean when you ask your questions. I would tell you first and foremost to write what you would want to read, and make that the top priority. There is a fan base for every type of novel, genre, etc. and for the most part, people can recognize good literature, whether it is outside their comfort zone or not.

Good luck on your writing!
  4. Regular Member
    I like a character that sounds engaging to me. Not just "interesting", but a character that I can connect with. I feel there are too many characters in books that almost too perfectly fit the need of the story: they don't have reasonable flaws, or their actions and flaws are really predictable, etc. I want a character that makes it feel real and makes me interested in their personality and motives. Above all, I want to feel invested in the characters and give a damn not only what happens in the story, but what happens to the specific people within the story.
    I hope this makes sense. Haha. Good luck!
  5. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    be silly. be honest. be kind.
    I have to have some amount of romance, no matter how small.
    The characters have to be believable, at that perfect balance of not too few flaws but not too many.

"The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

It has to be well written. By that I mean for what it is, is it from the perspective of a 13 year old or a 40 year old man then should be written that way. I hate when the same phrase is used repeatedly.
  7. Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the input everyone!

When you're looking at books to read, what makes you want to buy it though? When you read the synopsis or the back of the book, what would have to be presented there for you to buy it or check it out?
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Malfoy View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone!

When you're looking at books to read, what makes you want to buy it though? When you read the synopsis or the back of the book, what would have to be presented there for you to buy it or check it out?
    Probably something that's different, kwim? I don't want to read 100 of the same book. Like Twilight became huge, and everything was vampires this, werewolves that. To me, reading about the same story told over and over by different authors, that's boring.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I love good character development. That way I get more attached to the characters.

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  10. Senior Member
    for me, I like it to be multi-faceted in the area of "genre," for lack of a better word. Yes, it can be centered around a specific genre, but I like it to be more well-rounded than that... like I don't really like just romance novels, or just adventure novels. but, I like both elements. So if it's got this awesome adventurous plot, but also has romance between two characters and those two themes both work together AND separately then I truly enjoy it!! one of my favorite books is Lightning by Dean Koontz, I loved that it had elements of history, sci-fi, adventure and romance between the 2 main characters.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast