Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Books for classes-fiction or nonfiction

1. Banned
    Banned

Hello Books for classes-fiction or nonfiction

Advertisements
    What are some books you've read for your classes?

Did you enjoy the book or dislike it?

Do you think your understanding increased as a consequence of class discussion and/or pace?

2. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    One of my faves was Darwin, His daughter, and human evolution. by Randal Keynes. It was more biographical, and gave fascinating insight into Darwin's life and his personal battles with his theory of evolution.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    One of my faves was Darwin, His daughter, and human evolution. by Randal Keynes. It was more biographical, and gave fascinating insight into Darwin's life and his personal battles with his theory of evolution.
    That sounds like it would give a lot of perspective on such a polarizing public figure. I'll add it to my list.
  4. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    So many of my books are just your traditional texts, however, I did love Man's Search for Meaning by Victor Frankl. I loved it. It inspired my theoretical orientation. I've also enjoyed Choice Theory by William Glasser.

www.SnarkyFit.com
  5. scotlandgrl53
    scotlandgrl53
    Blog Entries
    Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell - learned sooo much from this book

A WHOLE bunch of fiction. I'm an English Major soooooo... we read a lot
    lol most of them didn't really leave me much of an impression.
    Last edited by eelizah; 04-01-2013 at 08:31 PM. Reason: confusing post lol
    I need a
    a
    I don't have forever or

So don't let me

I AshleyO
  6. Senior Member
    In the most amazing class I took in all of college we read all of these. Best class ever:

The Passion (Jeanette Winterson), which is now one of my all time favorite books. It's a look at the nature of identity, as is much of Winterson's work. This is like an adult fairy tale, with a lot more sadness and confusion.
    Sophie's Choice
    Imagining Argentina (another utterly amazing book)
    The Autobiography of my Mother (a difficult read, but a great look at the affects of colonialism, and a book that can be appreciate for the author's amazing use of craft, if nothing else)
    Things Fall Apart (another dealign with colonialism and something any serious literary fiction reader should read at some point)
    Nights at the Circus (beautiful book and provactively feminsitic)
    Libra (fiction based on the life of Lee Harvey Oswald, and my favorite Don Delillo work of all those I've read. It exlores cause and effect and causality vs. contingency.)
    American Pastoral (My favorite Phillip Roth book, and another causality vs. contingency work, or why bad things happen to good people. Set in the post-Vietnam era.)
    Foe (J.M. Coetzee) (This book is just weird. I'm not much into experimental literature, and this is a really challenging read--the most challenging book I've ever read--but it is so well done and artfully layered. It's kind of a retelling of Robinson Crusoe. The title is, in part reference to Daniel DeFoe.)

There were a few others in the class as well. That course had a profound affect on the way I read and select books.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. Regular Member
    Nonfiction: Pathologies of Power by Paul Farmer. His medical anthropology work is what pushed me to change my major to anthro. It's a very interesting and relevant look at the structural violence that is imposed on the poor, and how this is reflected and cyclic in healthcare systems throughout the world. Very readable, very compelling.

Fiction: one of my favorite fiction reads was when we read Goethe's Faust and The Picture of Dorian Gray together in a seminar/writing class I had. They are interesting by themselves, but looking at the connections was way cool. I really got into reading about the Faustian legend and seeing its cultural growth in examples like Dorian Gray, as well as learning about the artist who made the freakish painting for the first Dorian Gray movie. All the facets of those books and their extensions in other genres are just really cool.