Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marriage "self-help" books

1. I just can't even...
    I just can't even...
    Blog Entries

Marriage "self-help" books

Advertisements
    So DH and I had a very nice heart to heart last night.

There is nothing wrong between us, so please don't think we're in troubled waters- I'd just simply like to boost our passion and communication skills and our understanding of one another. So I was hoping for suggestions on books you've read that helped in those areas.

I've good heard things about the 5 love languages so if anyone has read that one, I'd be appreciative of a review and if it helped your marriage/relationship. An any other recommendations are welcome
  2. I just can't even...
    I just can't even...
    Blog Entries
    Sorry for typos- on my phone
  3. Senior Member
    I'm gonna stalk this post for suggestions as well.
  4. Senior Member
    i just finished 5 love languages and i loved it. DH is going to read it when he gets home so we can discuss and really put it into motion in our marriage.

i also read "His Needs, Her Needs" and "how to improve your marriage without talking about it" and "how to become your spouses better half" since they were recommendations from our battalion Chaplain and i enjoyed them.

they mostly talked about the differences in womans needs and deep seeded fears compared to mens, and how to play up eachothers strengths rather than feed into eachothers fears (even if its not intentional that you feed into eachothers fears). all 3 gave a good perspective from the male POV for me to understand and a womans POV for DH to understand. i was also able to recognize things about myself from the books that i wasnt even aware of but when i read certain things i was like "omg, i totally do that" or "i totally feel that way".

they were all easy reads and definitely books id recommend for anyone wanting to get a little insight and gain some positive things to apply to their marriage, even if they have a great marriage you can never know too many ways to improve
    we kicked deployment #2's butt!

5. Senior Member
    Fighting For your Marriage.

Hands down. I read it and it entirely changed the nature of my and DH's relationship. It's a god send. It's advice is great and practical. I really really suggest it.

Fighting for Your Marriage: A Deluxe Revised Edition of the Classic Best-seller for Enhancing Marriage and Preventing Divorce: Howard J. Markman, Scott M. Stanley, Susan L. Blumberg: 9780470485910: Amazon.com: Books

6. I just can't even...
    I just can't even...
    Blog Entries
    Thank you all for the great suggestions
  7. langsam langsam.
    langsam langsam.
    Stalking this for future reference. hoping one I was told of but can't remember gets brought up.

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries

I tried the love dare but it's a little too religious for me butttttt it is a good read though if your a religious person!
  9. Senior Member
    The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work Amazon.com: The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work: A Practical Guide from the Country's Foremost Relationship Expert (9780609805794): John M. Gottman, Nan Silver: Books

DH and I both read this one when his unit was giving out free copies. It talks about the habits of successful and unsuccessful marriages and has a bunch of little questionnaires and activities couples can discuss together.
  10. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast