Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's a book that everyone has liked but you don't?

1. Banned
    Banned

Question What's a book that everyone has liked but you don't?

Advertisements
    There are some books that reach the stratosphere of publicity and public acclaim. Sometimes fame comes as a consequence of skilled authorship. Other times it's a result of careful advertisement and/or novelty.

Have you ever disliked a book that everyone recommended? Why?

2. Living in paradise :D
    Living in paradise :D
    The Catcher in the Rye

I just thought it was messed up, and depressing. I hated the way it made me feel. I still don't see what's supposed to be so great about it. I hated it.
  3. Living in paradise :D
    Living in paradise :D
    I don't know if it counts since it was a play, but I also hated watching the play and reading Death of a Salesman. For all the same reasons as The Catcher in the Rye. Plus, I found Death of a Salesman incredibly confusing and hard to follow.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I haven't read it, nor will I, but the Shades of Grey series would be the top of my list. From the few excerpts I've read, the grammar and word usage is beyond poor and I just don't see myself getting into that genre of literature (and I use literature loosely for Shades of Grey )
  5. Senior Member
    I really hate Ernest Hemingway. I generally liked reading for school so it wasn't because I was forced to read his books, but it took me forever to get through anything because I feel like he's SO overly descriptive. I only remember reading Old Man and the Sea and I also didn't give a single fuck about the story.

I read Go Ask Alice too, and everybody else in high school seemed to love it, but I thought it was ridiculous and really hard to take seriously. Same as Child Called It or whatever.
  6. Senior Member
    Twilight the writing is horrible.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    I really hate Ernest Hemingway. I generally liked reading for school so it wasn't because I was forced to read his books, but it took me forever to get through anything because I feel like he's SO overly descriptive. I only remember reading Old Man and the Sea and I also didn't give a single fuck about the story.

I read Go Ask Alice too, and everybody else in high school seemed to love it, but I thought it was ridiculous and really hard to take seriously. Same as Child Called It or whatever.
    Oh god I HATED old man and the sea! Such a bore.

I can't really think of any books of the top of my head. I actually liked the twilight books, just hated the movies. I liked the first two shades of grey but just could not get through the third one. I ended up giving all three to another member from the site

8. Senior Member
    The Great Gatsby and as others mentioned the Shades of Grey and Twilight series. I really wanted to like The Great Gatsby but I found it to be a bit disjointed.
  9. Senior Member
    I must say 50 Shades of Grey is something I have never picked up nor really had the inclination to pick up. Not sure why. That and the twilight series. I thought about starting the series at one point but when the first movie came out and saw how "moody" and kind of whimpy the heroin was I decided against it. I could be totally wrong in my assessment but of her but I like stronger female characters and she just didn't give off that vibe to me. Oh yeah that and that and the Help. Never read the book and haven't seen the movie.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by daisyluvbug View Post
    The Great Gatsby and as others mentioned the Shades of Grey and Twilight series. I really wanted to like The Great Gatsby but I found it to be a bit disjointed.
    I actually wasn't a fan of the Great Gatsby either. But that might be because I was forced to read it junior year of high school and analyze the reoccurrence of colors and things like the pink cloud. Analyzing a book usually makes me hate it.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast