Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: To all my readers!

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

To all my readers!

Advertisements
    I need your help.

I had previously posted that I was working on a book. I want your help. Tell me what you like in a book as a conflict between a couple.

My main idea for my characters is she feels inadequate. She isn't his "typical" type that she has seen him with.

Little past history about my characters in progress. They met during winter break from college. He went back to his school. They tried to make it work LDR but they didn't. I'm not sure yet the length of time between when they decide to break it up and when they meet again I haven't picked that out yet but when they do he is very... well known. I'm trying not to go into to much detail because I want y'all to read it later down the road so bare with me.

Anyway she see's what he used to be with before seeing each other again. Does this make for a strong problem to you? Is it something you can relate with?

to ask another question..
    How do you feel about when an author writes "Three years later" after the end of a chapter? Do you want to know what happened in that time span even if it doesn't have anything to do with where the story is going or do you not mind that?
    Last edited by HollySunshine; 02-27-2013 at 02:38 PM.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Kaepernick View Post
    I need your help.

I had previously posted that I was working on a book. I want your help. Tell me what you like in a book as a conflict between a couple.

My main idea for my characters is she feels inadequate. She isn't his "typical" type that she has seen him with.

Little past history about my characters in progress. They met during winter break from college. He went back to his school. They tried to make it work LDR but they didn't. I'm not sure yet the length of time between when they decide to break it up and when they meet again I haven't picked that out yet but when they do he is very... well known. I'm trying not to go into to much detail because I want y'all to read it later down the road so bare with me.

Anyway she see's what he used to be with before seeing each other again. Does this make for a strong problem to you? Is it something you can relate with?

I can see that as a good basis as a story but at the same time, will there be a counterpoint story line as well? Or just them getting back together? If it's just them getting back together and the struggle of 'meeting' each other again, for me, I probably wouldn't be that interested. Now, if there's a secondary plot going on with one or both of them as well, then it would be more interesting for me, personally.

to ask another question..
    How do you feel about when an author writes "Three years later" after the end of a chapter? Do you want to know what happened in that time span even if it doesn't have anything to do with where the story is going or do you not mind that?
    I don't mind this so long as there's flashbacks to help frame those three years for the reader. I don't mind not knowing everything but I need a little something to go off of to help fill in the gap, if that makes sense.

And, Holly, if you need someone to read/edit for you, I'd totally do it, I love beign a test reader
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by huladangelo View Post
    I don't mind this so long as there's flashbacks to help frame those three years for the reader. I don't mind not knowing everything but I need a little something to go off of to help fill in the gap, if that makes sense.

And, Holly, if you need someone to read/edit for you, I'd totally do it, I love beign a test reader
    Okay well the story is she's going to school at Juilliard in New York. It starts with her auditioning and stuff. She will get in but I want her to meet the male character until her JR year of college.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Kaepernick View Post
    Okay well the story is she's going to school at Juilliard in New York. It starts with her auditioning and stuff. She will get in but I want her to meet the male character until her JR year of college.
    Oh, okay. I figured there was more to it but, yeah, I'd definitely read it.
  6. Moderator

I can tell you what I DON'T like as a conflict: glaring communication issues. It drives me CRAZY when literally all it would take to fix an ENTIRE plotline would be a ten-minute "come-to-Jesus" between lovers. It is so incredibly irritating to me. I like it when the conflict is caused by actual character flaws that the characters HAVE to work through themselves before they can be in the right place together at the right time. Hopefully that makes sense.
  7. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    be silly. be honest. be kind.
    Favorite conflict:
    The characters try to make it work, but have hardships (usually personal hardships) and try to "take the high road" and "do the right thing" by not being together...but can't handle being apart and so they decide to be dedicated to each other and working through their hardships.

Or...

There's a misunderstanding between the characters, one character feels hurt and starts to distance themselves or thinks that the other character isn't interested in pursuing a romantic relationship, while the other character is unaware of the miscommunication and is confused by the cold behavior of the other or really is interested in pursuing a romantic relationship but isn't communicating it well. But then through some event (which I guess would vary per the story line), the misunderstanding is cleared up and they get together.

Those seem like really vague answers, so if they're too vague let me know and I'll try to give an example

"The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SingWeJoyous View Post
    I can tell you what I DON'T like as a conflict: glaring communication issues. It drives me CRAZY when literally all it would take to fix an ENTIRE plotline would be a ten-minute "come-to-Jesus" between lovers. It is so incredibly irritating to me. I like it when the conflict is caused by actual character flaws that the characters HAVE to work through themselves before they can be in the right place together at the right time. Hopefully that makes sense.
    Oh my yes. Drives me nuts.

I think the conflict you described is very relatable. as far as the time lapse, I don't mind as long as there are references to what happened in that time.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by SingWeJoyous View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenni Penni View Post
    Favorite conflict:
    The characters try to make it work, but have hardships (usually personal hardships) and try to "take the high road" and "do the right thing" by not being together...but can't handle being apart and so they decide to be dedicated to each other and working through their hardships.

Or...

There's a misunderstanding between the characters, one character feels hurt and starts to distance themselves or thinks that the other character isn't interested in pursuing a romantic relationship, while the other character is unaware of the miscommunication and is confused by the cold behavior of the other or really is interested in pursuing a romantic relationship but isn't communicating it well. But then through some event (which I guess would vary per the story line), the misunderstanding is cleared up and they get together.

Those seem like really vague answers, so if they're too vague let me know and I'll try to give an example
    Quote Originally Posted by maegan View Post
    Oh my yes. Drives me nuts.

I think the conflict you described is very relatable. as far as the time lapse, I don't mind as long as there are references to what happened in that time.

Thank you girls for replying. I really appreciate it!