Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you ever feel obligated?

1. Banned
    Banned

Question Do you ever feel obligated?

Advertisements
    Have you ever encountered a book you're just unable to delve into, that you just don't enjoy? Have you ever just stopped a book?

If so, when do you decide when you can go no further?

Have you ever set aside a book only to come back later and discover that you enjoy it immensely?
  2. Moderator

Lots. And no, I don't ever come back to them. I'm picky and if I don't like it the first time, I won't like it the next time.

I don't know how I decide to stop reading... I just lose interest and switch to Harry Potter or something.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Generally I try to make myself suffer through the book. Occasionally though I do just stop reading it and leave it alone. If I do that, I almost never come back to it.
  4. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    I will stop reading a book altogether a lot, and I don't go back to them either. I'm hard to please when it comes to books I like to read. So if I don't like it the first time then I never even tempt to read it again.

If I can I return it to the store I bought it at. I will go that far even, and then get a different book in it's place. ( If I can't return it for some reason I donate it so it's not taking up space in my apartment. )
    Signature removed due to size.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Yea I've encountered quite a few... mostly school required books lol

Though, the ones I "read for fun" and find that I don't like, I'll stop when its evident that I'm just not in it. Or I simply won't pick it back up... kinda like "ohhhh forgot about that one "

But in regards to your title... feel obligated to do what?
  6. Senior Member
    There have been a few books I have stopped reading all together. I will try my best to push through the boredom, but if it hasn't peaked my interest after a chapter or two I usually give up.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by L.Biebz<3 View Post
    Yea I've encountered quite a few... mostly school required books lol

Though, the ones I "read for fun" and find that I don't like, I'll stop when its evident that I'm just not in it. Or I simply won't pick it back up... kinda like "ohhhh forgot about that one "

But in regards to your title... feel obligated to do what?
    To finish a book.
  8. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

It depends on why I'm reading the book. If I'm reading it for pleasure and I just really can't get into it, I'll put it down and stop. Most of the time that doesn't happen though unless I'm browsing free books on Kindle or something. Generally I know what kind of books I will or won't enjoy.

The last book I was tempted to stop reading was Game of Thrones, in the very first book something happened with a wolf and it made me want to put the book down and never pick it up again. I didn't know I was so emotionally invested ... I'm glad I didn't stop reading though.

If I'm reading for enrichment though sometimes I have to force myself to read a book. I have Proust sitting on my shelf but I haven't committed to delving into it yet. My "serious" reading list hasn't been touched much lately but I make myself finish what I start. The longest it's taken to read one of those books has been 2 years. I had to keep putting it down and coming back to it. In the end I'm glad I make myself finish them.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    If I start a book by choice I usually try my best to stick it out until the end (required reading for school doesn't count). Recently, I made DB read a book in exchange for him making me read one that he really liked. I tried so hard to finish that book to uphold my end of the bargain, but after half of the book was dedicated to describing this old house I just couldn't do it. I certainly will not be going back to it.

I Eelizah
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    It depends on why I'm reading the book. If I'm reading it for pleasure and I just really can't get into it, I'll put it down and stop. Most of the time that doesn't happen though unless I'm browsing free books on Kindle or something. Generally I know what kind of books I will or won't enjoy.

The last book I was tempted to stop reading was Game of Thrones, in the very first book something happened with a wolf and it made me want to put the book down and never pick it up again. I didn't know I was so emotionally invested ... I'm glad I didn't stop reading though.

If I'm reading for enrichment though sometimes I have to force myself to read a book. I have Proust sitting on my shelf but I haven't committed to delving into it yet. My "serious" reading list hasn't been touched much lately but I make myself finish what I start. The longest it's taken to read one of those books has been 2 years. I had to keep putting it down and coming back to it. In the end I'm glad I make myself finish them.
    Ahhh I know! I'm currently reading it now. At times I feel like stopping but then something unexpected happens. I'm liking it so far, they're just so long!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast