Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Southern Victory (alt history series)

1. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Southern Victory (alt history series)

Advertisements
    Any read Turtledove's Southern Victory series? My dad has the first book and I was idly reading through it but I'm not sure I want to commit to reading the whole series. Considering buying it on the kindle though.

I do like alt-history but I vaguely recall reading something else of his that just seemed a little too far-fetched; based on the little I've read about Southern Victory though it does seem to be more realistic.

Or any other suggestions about alt history in general? I was considering going with something lighter and just picking up Fatherland instead, but I'm probably going to be reading more around the holidays anyway ...
  2. Senior Member
    Have you ever watched Confederate States of America? it's not book, but its good. It's by Spike Lee, it's pretty funny.

3. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I have not, I should get it and watch it with DH. He's one of those people that says things like "the war of northern aggression" lol.

I mentioned possibly reading Southern Victory in an offhand way and he seemed excited about the plot but I don't think he would like how it ends lol
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    I have not, I should get it and watch it with DH. He's one of those people that says things like "the war of northern aggression" lol.

I mentioned possibly reading Southern Victory in an offhand way and he seemed excited about the plot but I don't think he would like how it ends lol
    Definitely get it then! It's definitely worth a watch.

I usually don't read alt-history, just because I study history and it kind of makes my heart hurt to read the wrong version of events I read a book about WWII, about if Hitler had won... I'm trying to think of the name!

5. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by pftube View Post
    Definitely get it then! It's definitely worth a watch.

I usually don't read alt-history, just because I study history and it kind of makes my heart hurt to read the wrong version of events I read a book about WWII, about if Hitler had won... I'm trying to think of the name!
    That's the plot of Fatherland, which I'm going to buy at some point ... I'm sure it's not the only book about there about Hitler winning though.

The thing that interests me about Southern Victory is that it parallels actual history pretty closely and some of it stands out immediately to me but there's all sorts of little parallels too and I think reading this series would help me learn a lot about real history as well. It's sort of like fantasy (which I really enjoy) with an education twist haha.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    That's the plot of Fatherland, which I'm going to buy at some point ... I'm sure it's not the only book about there about Hitler winning though.

The thing that interests me about Southern Victory is that it parallels actual history pretty closely and some of it stands out immediately to me but there's all sorts of little parallels too and I think reading this series would help me learn a lot about real history as well. It's sort of like fantasy (which I really enjoy) with an education twist haha.
    I think that's the one I read! I'll have to check out Southern Victory, it sounds like a good read.