Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great books for the supernatural lovers!

1. Regular Member

Great books for the supernatural lovers!

Advertisements
    First I recommend Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series. It's about a witch who has possibly some of the worst luck ever, that ends up teaming up with a vampire and a pixy to help solve murder cases of supernatural beings. There's a bit of romance (not detailed explicitly) and an assload of asskicking and general badassedness with some good humor thrown in. The mc (rachel) is pretty smart, has a (funny) mouth on her, and is a really likeable character. And KH doesn't take a super long time to come out with new books either so you wont have to wait a year like this next author.

My second recommendation is the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning. If you do not fall in love with Barrons, something is wrong with you (he's really the whole reason I fell in love with these books). The mc (Mac) finds out her sister has been murdered while studying abroad in Ireland and Mac goes to find her killer but ends up in a world full of fae and other creepy crawlies. Mac is kinda slow and often times has split personalities (though there's a valid reason for this) and is also a bit prone to depression (her sister is dead--understandable). Some may have a problem with this as you can tell her inner musings are really just page filler, but if you can get past that the plot and twists in this series are quite amazing, though the last book does feel a bit rushed. The writing is good, and the characters are far from flat (BARRONNSSSS ).
    Thank your stars if you do get into this series since she's already got all the books out (for now). I got into it when the 4th book was out and still had to wait a lloooooong time before the 5th came out.

I'll add more as I think of them...I need to clean out my book stash before we move. (An all day task)
  2. Senior Member
    Thanks for sharing. I've been looking for some new reading material.
  3. Senior Member
    I the Fever series!! It was awesome!! I started from the very beginning, so had to wait a long time between each, lol. But that 5th one took forever to come out and was awesome when it did!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Question: my daughter is 16 and these sound like books she would be interested in. Is there anything super questionable in them that I should read any of them first?
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    A Discovery of Witches is another really good book like thisl Its part of the All Souls trilogy by deborah harkness (sp?). Only the first two books are out, but they are amazing.

I Eelizah
  6. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    I'm reading the Eternal Guardians series by Elisabeth Naughton, it's a mix of Greek mythology (which I'm in love with) and an erotic/romantic thriller. The first book was really hard for me to get into, it was reccommended to me by a friend who likes very similar books as me so I started reading it and have been slow to get into it. It took me getting 50% of the way through (on my Kindle) to actually get hooked on it and fall in love with the characters. I finished the first book in like 2 weeks and I just bought the second book but it sounds just as promising as the first was! The writing is good and the characters round out at the end. Totally worth the read if you're into reading about Greek Gods and Goddesses and the like!

7. Gone Hiking
    Gone Hiking
    Quote Originally Posted by omg_dbl_rnbw View Post
    First I recommend Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series. It's about a witch who has possibly some of the worst luck ever, that ends up teaming up with a vampire and a pixy to help solve murder cases of supernatural beings. There's a bit of romance (not detailed explicitly) and an assload of asskicking and general badassedness with some good humor thrown in. The mc (rachel) is pretty smart, has a (funny) mouth on her, and is a really likeable character. And KH doesn't take a super long time to come out with new books either so you wont have to wait a year like this next author.
    My second recommendation is the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning. If you do not fall in love with Barrons, something is wrong with you (he's really the whole reason I fell in love with these books). The mc (Mac) finds out her sister has been murdered while studying abroad in Ireland and Mac goes to find her killer but ends up in a world full of fae and other creepy crawlies. Mac is kinda slow and often times has split personalities (though there's a valid reason for this) and is also a bit prone to depression (her sister is dead--understandable). Some may have a problem with this as you can tell her inner musings are really just page filler, but if you can get past that the plot and twists in this series are quite amazing, though the last book does feel a bit rushed. The writing is good, and the characters are far from flat (BARRONNSSSS ).
    Thank your stars if you do get into this series since she's already got all the books out (for now). I got into it when the 4th book was out and still had to wait a lloooooong time before the 5th came out.

I'll add more as I think of them...I need to clean out my book stash before we move. (An all day task)
    Couldn't agree more with the bolded recommendation. I went through the series and wish I didn't go through them so quickly. I loved them so much!
    I'm definately going to check the other recommendation.
  8. Gone Hiking
    Gone Hiking
    Quote Originally Posted by LynnAFWife View Post
    Question: my daughter is 16 and these sound like books she would be interested in. Is there anything super questionable in them that I should read any of them first?
    I would wonder if Kim Harrison's other series "Madison Avery" would be better for a younger reader? I haven't read them but they are described as Young adult and Young at heart readers and the main charactor is younger, having been in high school.
  9. Senior Member
    Sounds good! Maybe I will give these a try next!
  10. eres el amor de mi vida <33
    eres el amor de mi vida <33
    I have the first book in that series. I really need to read it at some point.

I also second Discovery Of Witches!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast