Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter Books S/O

1. Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Blog Entries

Harry Potter Books S/O

Advertisements
    What is your Harry Potter story? How old were you when you first read the books? How were you introduced to them? Did you get into them right away, or did it take some convincing?

I don't remember how I was introduced to them but I know that I was eagerly awaiting the 4th book when it came out-and every single book after that. I went to several midnight premiers and even dressed up. I stayed up all night and read the books.

I own all 7 in hard back (The only way to read a book you love!).

I started reading them in 1997, just a little while after they first came out. I was immediately enthralled.

And I've been a HUGE FAN ever since. (Obviously!!)

What's your story?

ETA: I was 12 in 1997 when they came out-beginning of 7th grade when I read it.
  2. verabot89
    verabot89
    I remember in 6th grade, during my reading class, my teacher said "stay on the lookout for this new series of books called Harry Potter". I was eleven, just like Harry

I got every book when they first came out. The only one I don't have in hardcover is the first. It's one of my favorite stories of all time.
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    To copy and paste from the other thread :

I read the first one when my son was in Kindergarten, so 1999. A woman came to my door wanting me to sign a petition to have them banned from the school libraries in the district we were in. I had never heard of them nor read them, she hadn't even read them but told me they were evil. So I talked with the primary school's librarian, she handed me a copy and told me she appreciated me being open minded about it. I read it in a night and absolutely fell in love!

I was one of those weirdos that went to midnight book premieres to get my hands on copies first thing. I would love to get English editions of the books!
  4. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    I was 11, back in 2001ish, when I read the first book because of my crazy Harry Potter-obsessed 6th grade English teacher.

I didn't want to read it... I never heard of it until then & the description of it didn't interest me at all. But then I really enjoyed it. I didn't jump right into the others afterwards but I did read them over time. It got harder to read as they got longer because I have a hard time staying focused with books that long.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  5. Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LynnAFWife View Post
    To copy and paste from the other thread :

I read the first one when my son was in Kindergarten, so 1999. A woman came to my door wanting me to sign a petition to have them banned from the school libraries in the district we were in. I had never heard of them nor read them, she hadn't even read them but told me they were evil. So I talked with the primary school's librarian, she handed me a copy and told me she appreciated me being open minded about it. I read it in a night and absolutely fell in love!

I was one of those weirdos that went to midnight book premieres to get my hands on copies first thing. I would love to get English editions of the books!
    Your post is what made me want to do the S/O!! Thanks for reposting.
  6. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

My 4th grade teacher was reading the 3rd book aloud in class...even though no one had read the first two. I thought that was ludacris so I got the first two books to read and I was immediately hooked.

I don't own them in hardback I have all paperback copies that I bought last year and they're already beat to hell. My mom has the first 3 in paperback and the rest in hardcover. I plan on buying the hardcover set sometime in the coming year. You can get them in this super cool chest and I really want it

ETA: I loved going to the midnight sales. I went to the Barnes and Noble one for the seventh book dressed in Hufflepuff colors because my friend and I thought they were underrepresented. When they started calling up ticket numbers I gave my ticket to someone who didn't have one and then went and bought the book at Stop and Shop so I wouldn't have to wait in a line

7. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    I was 11 when they came out- the age of HP when he got his letter to hogwarts. I was in 6th grade, and they had JUST been released in the US. My bestie was reading it (the only one at the time, the first one), and told me to read it. Nerd that I was, of course I read it, because I looove reading.

And I was hooked.

Hooked enough that when the 2nd, 3rd and 4th came out, they came out in the UK a month or so before they did in the US, and I made my moms London office send me a UK book so I could read it sooner. Seriously. My HP books of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th are all UK editions.

I HP.

Since the 5th book came out (I believe thats the one where the UK and US versions started coming out together) I have been getting in line at midnight at stores, dressed up, and ready.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    I was 11 when they came out- the age of HP when he got his letter to hogwarts. I was in 6th grade, and they had JUST been released in the US. My bestie was reading it (the only one at the time, the first one), and told me to read it. Nerd that I was, of course I read it, because I looove reading.

And I was hooked.

Hooked enough that when the 2nd, 3rd and 4th came out, they came out in the UK a month or so before they did in the US, and I made my moms London office send me a UK book so I could read it sooner. Seriously. My HP books of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th are all UK editions.

I HP.

Since the 5th book came out (I believe thats the one where the UK and US versions started coming out together) I have been getting in line at midnight at stores, dressed up, and ready.
    So jealous. I want a complete set of the English/UK editions so badly!
  9. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

I'm seriously obsessed with Harry Potter. I just got an HP tattoo (and plan on getting many more!) and I named on of my dogs Sirius Black. I absolutely adore everything about Harry Potter.

10. Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LynnAFWife View Post
    So jealous. I want a complete set of the English/UK editions so badly!
    Me too!! And like Bajingo, I really want the box set with the trunk! I hope to have several versions of it all someday. And my DREAM is to get at least one complete set autographed!!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast