Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kindles and Nooks

1. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.

Question Kindles and Nooks

Advertisements
    Can someone explain to me what the point of them is?

I really wanted one for my bday next month, but DH was looking into the details and you have to pay anywhere from $100-$250 for one (depending how high tech you want to go) and then you still have to pay $7+ dollars for every book?

Apparently I'm out of the loop I thought it came with books and that you could get more for like...$.99 So...if you have one, why did you buy it? Is it really worth shelling out a few hundred extra when you could just buy the actual book? I'm genuinely curious because I had really wanted one

2. Senior Member
    I'd say the point is to be able to carry a large amount of books, but without the weight. Great for someone that reads on the go, not all that great for someone that only reads at home. Most of the books cost less in e-book form than as a real book, though I have seen a few that cost more The more popular or newer books are definitely going to be the pricier ones, just like in a bookstore.

I have a Kindle. My Mom bought it, she decided she doesn't like reading from a screen, and gave it to me. She loves to read, but just couldn't stand the Kindle. I barely even use it, because I never take the time to read. DB uses it for school because you can download PDF documents on it.
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  3. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by azarmygf View Post
    I'd say the point is to be able to carry a large amount of books, but without the weight. Great for someone that reads on the go, not all that great for someone that only reads at home. Most of the books cost less in e-book form than as a real book, though I have seen a few that cost more The more popular or newer books are definitely going to be the pricier ones, just like in a bookstore.

I have a Kindle. My Mom bought it, she decided she doesn't like reading from a screen, and gave it to me. She loves to read, but just couldn't stand the Kindle. I barely even use it, because I never take the time to read. DB uses it for school because you can download PDF documents on it.
    Thank you for putting that in perspective for me Yeah, I think I'm going to find something else I want because I hate reading on the go. I literally get nauseas if I read in anything moving Guess I'll just have to stick to ordering good old fashioned books offline

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *IGrowPeople* View Post
    Thank you for putting that in perspective for me Yeah, I think I'm going to find something else I want because I hate reading on the go. I literally get nauseas if I read in anything moving Guess I'll just have to stick to ordering good old fashioned books offline
    Books don't cost all that much if you go to second hand stores, or order used ones from Amazon. Or there is always the library, everyone forgets about that.
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  5. Senior Member
    I don't have one, but I know you can borrow digital books from the library and download them straight to your kindle/nook. That way if you don't feel like making a trip to the library you can still borrow books from them to read.
    ~Sara~
  6. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    We have sony eReaders (you can get older versions for like $80 now). My husband was able to go to sony.com and get 800+ books for only $10. Plus, he also gets them from libraries and friends (eReader takes basic PDF formats). If you want one, but don't want a huge cost, I'd get a Sony one. A brand new one is about $150-$200 but you can get an older one for a lot cheaper.

Hubby gave me his old one and he bought a new one for his birthday. The 'old' one is from 2009 and works just like brand new.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  7. Senior Member
    I have a kindle and I don't usually read on the go. I think it is totally worth it. I hate turning pages, hate the feeling of trying to hold a book open (and when they randomly close and you lose your spot ), can't lie comfortably in bed with a book etc. I love love love love mine for all of those reason and I also love that I can get the book NOW instead of having to wait for it. I was not a huge reader before, now I read almost every day.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggyBiggs View Post
    I have a kindle and I don't usually read on the go. I think it is totally worth it. I hate turning pages, hate the feeling of trying to hold a book open (and when they randomly close and you lose your spot ), can't lie comfortably in bed with a book etc. I love love love love mine for all of those reason and I also love that I can get the book NOW instead of having to wait for it. I was not a huge reader before, now I read almost every day.

I have a Kindle that I got for Christmas and I LOVE it. I have about 400 books on it and I have only spent about $40 total. There are always free or reduced price books to be found and downloaded if you look in the right places.

I love it and think it is totally worth it. I used to get wrist pains from trying to hold books comfortably while laying in bed and headaches from accidentally holding the book too close to my face after reading for extended periods of time. I am in school right now, but when I was on winter break, I read a book a day, all from my Kindle.

I also put it in my purse and then I can read from it while I am waiting to get my hair done, at the doctor, or even at the movies. I like the portability of it and that I can pick and choose the book to read rather than just reading the one book I lug around.

Also for the price issue, I asked to get Amazon gift money for Christmas and my birthday, so even though I have only spent $40 on books, I have used gift money only and it hasn't burdened my bank account.

It may not be for everyone, but I my Kindle.

9. Senior Member
    For me the greatest benefit is portability. I carry my Kindle a lot so I'm ready if I end up stuck waiting somewhere. It was great when we were traveling. DH and I are both big readers and with our Kindles we're also not filling up the house with books that will sit after we read them.

Price for the books vary too. I've paid full price for some but like others have said there is always a sale or special on something. I've downloaded a bunch of classics for free to read for fun. Our library also has the e-reader program.
  10. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

I want to get one for Adam, but it's because all of the books he wants are GIANT computer books and I don't want them taking up room in my house.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast