Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Memory Keepers Daughter-DISCUSSION!!

1. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Memory Keepers Daughter-DISCUSSION!!

Advertisements
    Okay ladies....I am so sorry that I am a little late...but hey can you blame me? Db is home and well I am a little busy

Okay so here is the official thread for the discussion....

I will start with a question and you guys can answer with your thoughts...and would LOVE for others to post questions and comments and opinions for others to comment on!

Okay first discussion question...

How do you think the marriage would have ended up had he not given the baby away?
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries

If you don't want to answer that question come up with another discussion starter!!

I won't be on all day...well because I will be with DB
  3. Senior Member
    I think they would have stayed married.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I think it's difficult to say. I believe that there still would have been problems. Obviously of a different kind but considering Dr Henry's feelings on the issue of down syndrome (which he based on his experience with his sister) would have caused other issues. Would they have let to the end of the marriage? Probably not. But it would not have been the right environment for Phoebe to grow up in because Dr Henry did have such low expectations. Also, we don't really know how Norah and Paul would have reacted had Phoebe not been given away.
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  5. Cheeseburger in Paradise
    Cheeseburger in Paradise
    Blog Entries
    I honestly think the marriage could have been saved had he not given away the baby. He wouldn't have had the guilt to live with, Norah could have been closer to her husband since he wouldn't have distanced himself from her to begin with. I think Norah always felt there was something missing in her life (and obviously marriage) and so she filled the void with work and other men.

As for Paul I think the void he felt in his life wouldn't have been there either. Having two parents that were closer and not riddled with guilt and searching for a filler for a void in their lives could have made a huge difference for him. Especially because he could have been closer to his father.
  6. Senior Member
    Well, I think Norah and Paul would have been better off if Pheobe wasn't given away. Perhaps Dr. Henry could have learned to live with it, too. I think they still might have gotten divorced for similar reasons that Kris had talked about. I think he would've had a hard time dealing with a child that has Downs and would come off as not loving the child as much as his other.
  7. Cheeseburger in Paradise
    Cheeseburger in Paradise
    Blog Entries
    I think he could have loved her just as much, but I think the problem was that he was SCARED to love her and it was easier to give the child away. I think the main issue was that he didn't think Phoebe would live as long and having gone through the pain of losing his sister at a young age, he didn't want to go through that again nor did he want his wife and son to go through it either.

To me it wasn't as much that he had issues with the Downs Syndrome itself but that the expected life span was less and Dr. Henry couldn't understand that he wasn't protecting his family from the pain of loss like he though, they obviously felt it anyway. Just because they didn't bond with Phoebe and have to deal with her dying later didn't mean they didn't feel her loss just the same.

In a way I felt sorry for Dr. Henry because he never allowed himself to get close to anyone until late in his life, just because he was afraid to lose them like his sister. Very lonely way to live.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    I definitly agree...his sister dying very young caused him alot of pain...and yes he seems like a monster for giving his daughter away...but in the back of his mind he was just trying to protect his family from the pain he experienced...but didn't realize he was making things worse...

However if he had not given Phoebe away I wonder what ever would have happened to Caroline....she met her husband because of Phoebe....
  9. IYAOYAS
    IYAOYAS
    I just saw a preview for this so I plan on watching it sometime soon. Whenever I find time that is.
  10. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    i think dr. henry could have loved phoebe had he kept her. but i think their marriage still woud have suffered dealing with two same-aged children, one with downs. i think he would have loved her, but i also think he would not have handled the stress very well.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast