Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Style for New Tattoo!

1. Regular Member

Style for New Tattoo!

Advertisements
    I am looking at getting a new tattoo on my right shoulder blade. I am going to be putting one of my favorite bible quotes that means a lot to me there. Does anyone have something similar? I am stuck deciding how I want to go about it and if I just want the lettering, or a design with it. Any advice would be wonderful!
  2. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Just personal preference here, but I have many tattoos and the only one that i regret getting is the one on my shoulder blade. Why, you ask? Because I cannot see it, to enjoy it, every day.

Have you checked the pinned tattoo thread at the top of this section? I think there are several pieces posted that have words/sayings/ect with and without other artwork that may yield ideas for you.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  3. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    I have lettering on my ribs that I got in college because, basic. To be perfectly honest what I did was go to microsoft word, find scripty fonts that I liked, and told the artist to do something similar that looked nice but not as uniform/obvious it came from MS Word.
  4. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cali49 View Post
    I am looking at getting a new tattoo on my right shoulder blade. I am going to be putting one of my favorite bible quotes that means a lot to me there. Does anyone have something similar? I am stuck deciding how I want to go about it and if I just want the lettering, or a design with it. Any advice would be wonderful!
    How long is the quote? There's only so much room on your shoulder blade for the artist to work, and you may need to think about layout/making small text legible if it's a long reference.

I have LOVE + FEAR, very small, on the back of one shoulder. I asked for a variant of that...vaguely Roman script, the one you see on statues?

Last edited by Matchbox; 03-03-2017 at 11:11 PM.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    Just personal preference here, but I have many tattoos and the only one that i regret getting is the one on my shoulder blade. Why, you ask? Because I cannot see it, to enjoy it, every day.

Have you checked the pinned tattoo thread at the top of this section? I think there are several pieces posted that have words/sayings/ect with and without other artwork that may yield ideas for you.

I have a quote in the middle of my back and while I don't regret it, I'm pretty much like crystal. I can't read it and I often forget I have it. If I'm wearing an open back shirt strangers will ask me to stop so they can read it or ask me what it means to me. I usually stare at them blankly because I have no idea what they're talking about.

As for advice: find lettering you like, either by word or another tattoo quote you can find. Make sure it's big enough to be read; small font can blur together over time.
  6. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

I'm with Crystal and Everlasting. I stopped counting tattoos ( 3 new ones in 2 weeks, 2 decently sized) and while I have a couple tribals on my back and my kids feet and names on my shoulderblades but now everything is arms, legs or front of me. I have two rib tattoos, one only a few months old that is a huge feather turning into birds saying Your wings were ready but my heart was not. I love being able to look at my tattoos since I get them for me. I'd go in and talk with the artist and see what they suggest for placement because you also want it to flow right with your body so it's not just floating.
  7. Senior Member
    I only have one tat and its on my left shoulder blade. The tat is in memory of my dad and I put it in that spot for two reasons: he always has my back and he's closest to my heart. I love it! I was also able to have it showing on my wedding and I loved that. It really is personal preference. I love that I am able to have it showing when I want and covered up when I want also.
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  8. Regular Member
    Thank you all for the advice! I want to get it on my shoulder because I want to be able to cover it for my job. Tattoos are not allowed. I will definitely go onto word first to see if there is a font that I like! I would want one of three quotes.

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away."
    -1 Corinthians 13:4-8

"Let your light shine before others that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in Heaven."
    -Matthew 5:16

“Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life”
    -Matthew 6:25-27

They all are very meaningful to me and it will be hard to decide. For the longer ones I might get a cross with the bible verse next to it instead. So much to think about!
  9. Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!
    Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!

I'd go to various font sites and play with fonts. My fave is Dafont.com because it lets you type in what you want to get an idea of what the words will look like. That's what I did with my most recent one because I knew the style of font I wanted, so I could just look under that style. Once you find a font you like, then I'd install it on your computer and play with it in word
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Cali49 View Post
    Thank you all for the advice! I want to get it on my shoulder because I want to be able to cover it for my job. Tattoos are not allowed. I will definitely go onto word first to see if there is a font that I like! I would want one of three quotes.

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away."
    -1 Corinthians 13:4-8

"Let your light shine before others that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in Heaven."
    -Matthew 5:16

“Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life”
    -Matthew 6:25-27

They all are very meaningful to me and it will be hard to decide. For the longer ones I might get a cross with the bible verse next to it instead. So much to think about!
    None of these will fit on your shoulder in a big enough font to be able to read. You can start on your shoulder, but you'll probably end up going halfway down your side. Which isn't bad, but I'd make sure it's something you're prepared for. I have tiny font on my clavicle and in under three years it's blurred a lot.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast