Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Henna Hair Dye?

1. Regular Member

Henna Hair Dye?

Advertisements
    So I'm considering dying my hair red with henna. I was at Lush the other day and saw their henna dyes and I'm tempted. Has anyone ever used it and, if you have, what are the pros and cons? I've never dyed my hair in my life and I'm blonde(ish), so I'm really trying to weigh my options here. Thanks for the help in advance ^_^
  2. Senior Member
    I know nothing about hair dye, but I had to laugh at "blonde(ish)". That's so me. My hair doesn't quite fit into any description. But blonde would be the best bet.
  3. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    I've been coloring my hair for as long as I can remember and my 100% honest opinion is to ONLY have it done by a professional and avoid the box dyes, no matter how fancy or expensive they are. I have had many bad box jobs (even just from trying to go from a dirty blonde to a blonde) that have been botched, and learned a very expensive lesson at the hair salon. Not worth it at all.
  4. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    My sister is a natural strawberry blonde who dyes her hair a more auburn color with henna. She has several different shades from bright red to almost black and mixes the powders in different amounts depending on what tint she wants. It does fade somewhat quick though, compared to chemical hair dye, I think. I used henna a couple times as a teenager too, and it does sort of "wash out" over time so I wouldn't use it if you're looking for a dramatic or permanent change. I don't know anything about the Lush stuff though, my only knowledge is about the raw powders. One big pro is that it's not nearly as damaging to the hair as there aren't any chemicals to "set" the color into the hair strand.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    I've been coloring my hair for as long as I can remember and my 100% honest opinion is to ONLY have it done by a professional and avoid the box dyes, no matter how fancy or expensive they are. I have had many bad box jobs (even just from trying to go from a dirty blonde to a blonde) that have been botched, and learned a very expensive lesson at the hair salon. Not worth it at all.

Soooooo much this. I'm naturally a blonde, and I majorly screwed up my hair with box die in highschool. It took hundreds of dollars to correct and honestly it's just now at the point where it's healthy again.
  6. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by *Palindrome* View Post

Soooooo much this. I'm naturally a blonde, and I majorly screwed up my hair with box die in highschool. It took hundreds of dollars to correct and honestly it's just now at the point where it's healthy again.
    Henna isn't box dye. It's more like rubbing a marker on your hair to color it than a chemical dye from a kit.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  7. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    Henna isn't box dye. It's more like rubbing a marker on your hair to color it than a chemical dye from a kit.
    True, but I still don't trust anything that's not done by a professional. From the stains (both henna and box dye stain EVERYTHING and I've had the forehead and clothes marks to prove it ) to the time it takes to make it even and set, and the chance of it not being quite right, it just isn't worth it to me.
  8. Regular Member
    True, but I still don't trust anything that's not done by a professional. From the stains (both henna and box dye stain EVERYTHING and I've had the forehead and clothes marks to prove it ) to the time it takes to make it even and set, and the chance of it not being quite right, it just isn't worth it to me.
    I would probably the one to completely stain myself, even while being super careful.
  9. Regular Member
    I've never used the dye but love Lush. Look at their online reviews, the henna dye has a 4/5 star rating. Worst complaint...messy, which is to be expected. Get a friend to help if you do it and let us know how it turns out!!!