Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I want a tattoo! But I could use some advice first.

1. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    Advertisements
    My biggest advice is to make sure it's something you REALLY want! I got one when I was 18 or 19 just for the sake of getting one. My three best friends and I all did it together, and none of us are big fans of them today! I have since gotten that one covered up. One of my friends also has a Miley Cyrus lyric tattooed on her ribcage. I doubt she'll love that when she's 50.

2. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    I have 24 and plans for many more. The cost has ranged quite a bit from $80 to $500+. I got my calf piece and quarter sleeve done the same day and I paid the artist $1100, tip included. Shops in my area average $100 per hour of work.

Call around, research shops and decide what style you like and go from there. If you want a specific style then perhaps look for an artist who specializes in that style. I wanted an artist who specializes in realism for my quarter sleeve and calf piece, and ended up driving 2.5 hours to get the work done.

I actually like the getting tattoos, and while it doesn't tickle, it's the kind of "hurt" I like. My foot (top) tattoos hurt the worse, but another artist said it may have been how he did it (too deep, etc).
    Pax, Aeon
  3. Senior Member
    I got my first tattoo last a year and a half ago. Did a lot of research into different artists and styles. I wanted someone who had good crisp lines and specialized in the type of tattoo I wanted. Mine also required him to design it. It's my only tattoo but only cause I put a TON of thought into what I want before getting one. I probably won't get one for several more years cause I am still trying to figure out what I'd want

It ended up being bigger than I initially planned because I learned in the process if you try to put too much into a tattoo, over time it will end up as a blob. All in all, my tattoo took a total of 3 hours and cost $500 including tip, it covers my right shoulder down to my bra strap, but I love it

Once my endorphins kicked in, it didn't hurt. I just laid on the table and breathed. My hubby even thought I fell asleep a couple of times. I wouldn't recommend breaks cause once I took a break to use the bathroom, it hurt to restart... But I finished it.
    My husband had a more standard tattoo of his family crest and went to a tattoo artist up the road who was available. His has a section that isn't filled in well and a thickened part of the line. So for me, finding the right tattoo artist is HUGE.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot do!
  4. Regular Member
    Everyone's advice has been really helpful. I'm going to visit two shops that come highly recommended by people in my area. They are a bit of a drive but I do want to talk with the artist of each shop and look through their portfolios. As for what hurts the most I've kind of decided on two areas where I would like the tattoo. I'm going to ask for opinions from the artists and then make a final decision on where I want it regardless of the pain XD Also going to ask what they charge for what I want. Because I know what I want to get but I still want them to make a sketch for me just to make sure they know exactly what I want though I do have a picture. Also I'm probably not going to get it until after the summer ends because I know it can't be exposed to a lot of sunlight or chlorine. If there's anything I'm forgetting to ask the artists please someone tell me now!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12