Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Tattoo Placement?

1. Vex
    I'm not superstitious, but I am a little-stitious.
    Blog Entries

Tattoo Placement?

Advertisements
    This is the design I've been wanting for years (but flipped so that the treble clef shape is correct, wings facing right): Song Phoenix by bottomofastairwell on DeviantArt

It would be my first tattoo. I've been having a hard time trying to determine where I'd want it placed. I was thinking maybe my lateral thigh since I could easily cover that and it wouldn't hurt too much there. But I am definitely open to other suggestions! However, I really don't want it on my back. I want to be able to reach it for aftercare and I want to be able to see it easily without the aid of a mirror.

Thanks in advance!
  2. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Honestly if you're picking a location based on how much you think it might hurt, that's not going to do you much good. Getting tattooed hurts different people in different places. I've got ink on my spine, neck, back, hip, ribcage, thigh/quad, and the back of my leg. Each one hurt differently. Some people say the ribs is the worst, yet for me, that felt like being tickled, and my spine and neck were fine when I got them done. My hammy hurt the most. It just depends.

If you want to be able to see it (AKA not have it on your shoulder/back) but also want the flexibility to be able to cover it up, what about your side or your hip? How big do you want it to be?
  3. Vex
    Blog Entries

I'm thinking about 6 - 8 inches tall or so, but the size is pretty flexible for me based on where I finally decide to put it.

When you say "hip", where are you referring to? (Anatomy over text can be tricky.)
  4. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by Vex View Post
    I'm thinking about 6 - 8 inches tall or so, but the size is pretty flexible for me based on where I finally decide to put it.

When you say "hip", where are you referring to? (Anatomy over text can be tricky.)
    Your artist will also be able to advise you regarding size and placement!
  5. Senior Member
    I agree, pain is different for everyone. The pains were all different. The two on my feet were a VERY sharp stabbing pain. The one on my ankle was almost as if someone was writing on my skin with pen, but pressing down really hard. The one on my calfs were a burning fire sensation. My spine tat hurt towards the bottom of it, but the top of it felt like someone was scratching me with a really large pointed paperclip.. If that makes sense. All VERY different.

Thigh, Hip, Side.. All good places to get something that can easily be covered up. All of mine can very easily be covered up. Most placements can easily be covered with a little bit of effort. The back of neck and wrists/hands would be the hardest for me to cover.
  6. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.
    Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.

I have a tattoo very very similar to this, about 6 inches tall and 3 inches wide on my thigh. Upper, outer thigh. I like the placement there, because I can also add to it later if I wish. But I agree that the best idea is to print it out, test it out by holding it up to various places on your body, pick a few you like, and then talk to your artist. They will work with you on placement based on the size and "flow" of the tattoo.

7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

do you have long hair? It would be pretty to do it small and behind your ear