Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Tattoo Placement

1. Senior Member

Tattoo Placement

Advertisements
    Hi All
    So I am in the process of contacting a wonderful artist to get a memorial piece done to honor my Aunt who passed away a few years ago. It's going to be a lilly of the valley and (hopefully) as gorgeous as possible and quite feminine. However, I'm really struggling with placement. I'm considering the outside of my calf or my arm that has a small memorial tattoo for another family member on my bicep. I am so torn one where it should go. While the calf seems more feminine, I want to start a half sleeve but I don't have the sleeve fully planned out and I don't want it to look disjointed. Am I making sense?

So, how did you pick your tattoo placement? For those with sleeves, did you have it all planned out from the start? Maybe talking this out will help with my indecisiveness

Thanks!
  2. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    That's going to look gorgeous, wherever you put it!

I'm working on a half sleeve right now, just waiting on the sktetch to be done, and I'm glad I don't have anything else on my left arm. I'm getting a sleeve that's got one theme (if that makes sense, not giving anything away yet, lol) so the closest thing it's going to be towards is the feather on my neck/back.

Could you talk to your artist about working it into a half sleeve? Then if you're okay waiting a little bit longer for him/her to draw it, they can incorporate the lilly into your half sleeve. I think that'd be really cool!
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    That's going to look gorgeous, wherever you put it!

I'm working on a half sleeve right now, just waiting on the sktetch to be done, and I'm glad I don't have anything else on my left arm. I'm getting a sleeve that's got one theme (if that makes sense, not giving anything away yet, lol) so the closest thing it's going to be towards is the feather on my neck/back.

Could you talk to your artist about working it into a half sleeve? Then if you're okay waiting a little bit longer for him/her to draw it, they can incorporate the lilly into your half sleeve. I think that'd be really cool!
    The theme you bring up is a good point. I would like my half sleeve to be flowers to represent my immediate family members so it does tie in. Maybe I should just commit to the entire half sleeve soon and make it all work together. Financially, I don't know if I have the cash for it so maybe I could do it in phases. Soo much to consider
  4. we were all rooting for you
    You could definitely get it done in pieces/phases. I'm planning on getting mine over three or four sessions so my skin can heal but mostly so I can save money
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    You could definitely get it done in pieces/phases. I'm planning on getting mine over three or four sessions so my skin can heal but mostly so I can save money
    In one sitting sounds dreadful Do you mind if I ask how much they quoted you? I'm wondering what ballpark number I should expect. (I know it can really vary, I just haven't the slightest idea)
  6. we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by Katayoun View Post
    In one sitting sounds dreadful Do you mind if I ask how much they quoted you? I'm wondering what ballpark number I should expect. (I know it can really vary, I just haven't the slightest idea)
    Well, the guy I went to charges $100/hour but when I go in for larger pieces that take more time, he'll go down in price. I always make sure to just pay him $100/hour anyway and he keeps the rest as a tip. I find that to be pretty fair, plus I don't like a lot of the shops around here. My artist actually paints a lot of his stuff in watercolour before tattooing it, which I think is really awesome since my half sleeve is watercolour-inspired.

My leg piece took about 4 hours altogether. The linework and sheer size of it were what took the most amount of time so if you're planning intricate details, keep in mind your tat might take a little longer.

7. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    I have a quarter sleeve on my left arm, and I'll be finishing the forearm sleeve this summer. They do have similar themes, but they're not the same style. I don't intend to connect them or make it one piece because they're different styles, but there are still similar/shared elements in both.
    Pax, Aeon
  8. Regular Member
    I say bicep for sure unless you are going to be putting more pieces on different parts of the legs. I have a rather large piece on my lower leg and the only thing that sucks about it, which it's not a huge deal... But if I wear tights that aren't opaque you can see the tattoo right through it.