Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone feel judged because of their tattoos?

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Advertisements
    I have no tattoos and I judge people based on their tattoos.
    I do it the same way I judge people on their dress and manner. Is are any of them inappropriate or scream "I am an asshole with no respect for myself or others?" Are any of them in poor taste?
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  2. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    I have no tattoos and I judge people based on their tattoos.
    I do it the same way I judge people on their dress and manner. Is are any of them inappropriate or scream "I am an asshole with no respect for myself or others?" Are any of them in poor taste?
    I don't think that any of my tattoos are blatantly inappropriate - depending on the viewer - most are quite "girly" in nature: flowers, stars, and hearts are a major theme, but I also have a sugar skull / dia de los muertos skull that could probably be somewhat offensive to others. It's so difficult to determine, since what's considered offensive to someone is inherently subjective. And that's part of my fear, I suppose.

Would you be hesitant to interact socially with someone who did have visible tattoos that you found offensive or in poor taste?
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kittycatastrophe View Post
    I don't think that any of my tattoos are blatantly inappropriate - depending on the viewer - most are quite "girly" in nature: flowers, stars, and hearts are a major theme, but I also have a sugar skull / dia de los muertos skull that could probably be somewhat offensive to others. It's so difficult to determine, since what's considered offensive to someone is inherently subjective. And that's part of my fear, I suppose.

Would you be hesitant to interact socially with someone who did have visible tattoos that you found offensive or in poor taste?
    If you are young, and want to work in a professional field, or customer service, and you get a tattoo on your face or next, my though is that you have bad judgement.
    If you have a tattoo of a swastika where it can be seen by everyone, no, I will decide that you are not the type of person I want to socialize with. If you have a tattoo of a tiny man pushing a lawn mower just below your belt line I WILL hang out with you. I will judge you, in the same way I judge girls who have tramp stamps. But that does not mean I will judge you poorly, or not hang out with you.

My point being, you can not control how others think of you, and you can not presume people are or are not going to be reasonable and logical. In the end, the only person you have to please is yourself, and your potential employer, if you want to get a job with them. As to anyone else, to hell with them. If your SO is not embarrassed to be with you, then who cares? If he is not willing to defend you to them and his family, he may not be the right person to you.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  4. Banned
    Banned
    I don't have tattoos, don't plan on getting any, although sometimes I am toying with the idea of getting a small one, and I am fairly conservative. However, tattoos don't bother me in the slightest. I have friends who have full sleeves/visible tattoos and I could care less. My ex had quite a few too and it never bothered me. If anyone judges you, then that's their problem, not yours. I think you will be okay though.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    I .
    Last edited by gunsgirl; 09-10-2014 at 08:04 AM.
  6. Senior Member
    Everyone is always going to judge you on some level. We all do it, even if we don't act on it, want to suppress it, etc.

However, I've found that many people don't even notice 1/2 my tattoos (literally....the two on my wrists and one on my ankle) at work. I have people I have worked with for 3 years who ask when I got tatted because they haven't noticed. Don't make it an issue and most other people won't, in my experience.
  7. Love never fails. ♥
    Love never fails. ♥

I haven't. I have 6 that you can see if I'm wearing a short sleeve tee, shorts and flip-flops and people that I've hung out with numerous times have asked me when I got -insert tattoo here-. I got my tattoos for me and I don't really care that much if people like them or not. If they can't get to know me because I have visible tattoos, then they're not someone I want to be friends with anyway.

8. Senior Member
    no, someone could be the freakiest or scariest looking person but if they are also friendly, outgoing, nice I'm not even gonna care how they look I'd just be like "she or he is AWESOME." I know it's cliché, but I'm a firm believer in "it's what is on the inside that counts." Maybe they'll judge you at first, who knows! But just be yourself (which is hopefully a good person!) and they will quickly change their minds I'm sure.
  9. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by kittycatastrophe View Post
    You know, CPANavyWife and Tojai, you both raise a really valid point. And now that I think about it, I believe I might have some soul searching to do on this. Because (somewhat ironically) it seems like I've been judging the girlfriends and wives of my guy's friends - or at least forming opinions about what they might think / believe - based on their appearances. Which is PRECISELY what I was worried would happen to me.

Insecurity is a powerful and mischievous thing once it creeps into the brain. Has me all twisted up.
    This post alone shows that you're a pretty sweet person, given that you're willing to "check yourself" or...think of the other side. I dunno, it's a good quality.

I live in Oregon, which even with conservatives is a pretty open minded state. I've been teased about my tattoos and peircings, but I haven't felt judged. People seem to see through it. And when it's strangers, I'm not afraid to just shoot back. I don't have a lot, but I have visible peircings and two visible tattoos, and those are what people comment on. I think most people these days don't make a lot of assumptions about ink.
  10. Senior Member
    People will judge you whether you have tattoos or not. However if they're more concerned about how your skin looks over who you are as person then they aren't good company IMO. Most people will surprise you though. I can honestly say none of my tattoos have ever caused a problem with making friends and I have about 20 including my knees.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12