Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nose piercing?

1. Wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey stuff.
    Wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey stuff.

Nose piercing?

Advertisements
    I've really wanted one for a long time and watching stupid videos on youtube about people with nose rings really solidified my decision I'm going to get one this summer as a celebratory gift for completing three years of college. (I know, laaaaaameee.)

Anyone know how big I should get it? A lot of people are saying like 18 gauge and stuff, but I kind of want a 20 because I like the smaller ones, and I want to be able to hide it easily for work. Also, does it hurt? When can I change the ring? Some people say after 8 weeks, or 3 months, 6 months (seems a bit much..).

And can anyone who lives in Florida recommend a piercer for me?
  2. Senior Member
    I have no idea what gauge I had, but both times my studs were really really tiny. It doesn't really hurt much at all, but it'll probably be sore for a few days. I have no idea when you're allowed to change the jewelry, I never wanted to and they're REALLY difficult for me to remove anyway.
  3. Senior Member
    I think they like piercing them with the larger gauges, I'm pretty sure mine was pierced with a 16g actually because it looked bigger than the 18G and 20G I bought at Spencer's once I could change it. I can't remember how long I waited to change mine, at least 2 or 3 months I think.

You can always move down to the smaller ones once it heals. I ended up ordering some off of amazon that were 22G (didn't realize it at the time) so I can only fit those now which kinda sucks because the only place I can find them is amazon. I don't think it's too hard to go back up a size but I haven't because I'm taking mine out for good next week when I start working full-time which I'm pretty sad about

As for pain, I was so scared when I got mine done because a lot of people said it hurt and just feeling the material of my nose compared to my belly button or ears it just seemed like it would hurt so bad (I'd never had any cartilage pierced before). I was very surprised that it honestly felt like a pinch and it was over, soooo much less painful than I had expected.
  4. Senior Member
    It's been like 10 years, but he didn't ask a size. And it was just pressure.

I just put mine back in recently.

I love it. There is a 20 in right now.
  5. Vandelay Industries
    Vandelay Industries
    I would definitely discuss 18g vs 20g with your piercer (assuming it's a very good, experienced, piercer). He could tell you what would suit your nose better and which size statistically has less issues.

Mine didn't hurt at all and didn't bleed. I was just sneezing a lot afterwards and it was sore for a day or two.

Again, I would ask a piercer about changing it. I can't remember what mine said. I did wait a while though because the screw ones are SO dang hard to get in and out. I ended up going to my piercer the first time I tried to change it and had him help me.

Definitely search local shops and look up their reviews and certifications on google.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

No clue what gauge they pieced with but I didn't change it for a long time, simply because I liked the one they put in. I think the ones I just bought were 20G but they might be 22G and I change it out all the time now.

I thought it would hurt so bad but it really didn't hurt at all, it will make your eye on that side water like crazy though when you get it pierced .
  7. Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!
    Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!

A good piercer will be able to figure out what size would look best on your nose and he or she will explain everything to you.

When I got my septum done, the guy who did it, walked me through everything that was going to happen and it barely hurt.

As for finding a piercer, check here: http://www.safepiercing.org/locate-a...mber-database/

I had other piercings done by none APP members and I had massive problems with them, however, I had my septum done by a member and no problems what-so-ever.
  8. Senior Member
    I got mine done about 15 years ago. I don't remember how long they said to wait to change it but I've had the same screw in this whole time. My suggestion is to find a well qualified piercer and make sure you're using quality jewelry. It's worth the money to get something that won't have to be replaced often or cause problems. Mine is surgical steel and white gold with a small diamond. It's lasted me this long and will probably last quite a bit longer. It didn't hurt much but was sore for a couple of days.
  9. Wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey stuff.
    Wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey stuff.
    I'm excited, thanks guys!
  10. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    I don't remember the gauge. I first had it pierced about 12 years. I took it out and had it pierced over 5 years ago. I had a stud in until last spring. I like both the hoop and stud.
    Pax, Aeon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast