Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rhinoplasty

1. Vandelay Industries
    Vandelay Industries

Rhinoplasty

Advertisements
    I know plastic surgery is a very sensitive topic so please don't feel like you have to share.

But anyway I have wanted this surgery for a few years now, and have decided I am going to do this in about a year for my first big 'after college' purchase. I really have no clue where to start though. If anyone here has had it, where did you start your research? How did you select a plastic surgeon? How much did it cost (if you feel comfortable sharing)? How much time did you have to take off work?

Thanks.
  2. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    I cant answer a lot of them because I had a reconstructive rhinoplasty after a dog attacked me in high school, so I didnt have to take time off as no bones were broken, just skin and connective tissue was re-arranged, but my mom contacted her friends who had had plastic surgery to find the best one in our area, and it cost about 9k I think, however my cost will be different than yours because mine had no bone involvement, and mine was done on an emergency basis so we paid an emergency cosmetic surgeon fee. For research I would honestly talk to doctors. They can either tell you, or point you in the right direction as to where to look. This is the national board of plastic surgeons: American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and that can also be a good way to look up ones in the area, and then you can look up reviews and statistics.
  3. Vandelay Industries
    Vandelay Industries
    Thank you! I technically have a family doctor right now but I don't like her at all. I figure I will probably have to go out of Michigan or at least travel a bit anyway. That is a good resource!
  4. Senior Member
    I have not had one done so I can't tell you how much it will cost or how much time you will need to take off of work.

However, I was very lucky to have the chance to rotate with one of the leading surgeons in rhinoplasty, Dr. William Shockley...UNC is super lucky to have him. He actually runs the rhinoplasty clinic here! If you lived in NC then I would tell you to go to him and only him. His work is incredible. But MI is a little too far away

I would first start by talking with anyone in the area who you know that has had a rhinoplasty. Ask them who their surgeon was and if they liked them. Read about the surgeons in your area...where did they train, who did they train under, do they have any publications and if so what for. Publications will often give you an idea of the surgeon's area of interest. If the surgeon has a ton of publications about breast reconstructive surgery then that is likely his area of expertise. I would recommend meeting with at least 2 surgeons and get their opinion on your nose, what they would do, recovery, expected cost, etc. Also, definitely ask to see pictures of the surgeon's work. Ask where he operates and research that facility...make sure it has a good reputation.
  5. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by augusta View Post
    Thank you! I technically have a family doctor right now but I don't like her at all. I figure I will probably have to go out of Michigan or at least travel a bit anyway. That is a good resource!
    My plastic surgeon was SUCH an asshole. Like, omg I cant believe the way he spoke to me as a 14 year old. But he was the best, . I only have 2 small scars, and considering the strips of flesh that literally hung from my nose after this dog got me, its amazing. No one knows anything is wrong unless I point out the area and show them. And you may not have to leave Michigan. Michigan has some really big med schools, and at the big schools, AMAZING doctors tend to be there, so you can see about. Also you guys have some big cities, so better doctors will be there.
  6. Senior Member
    I've had a rhinoplasty! Mine cost me $4200, which is actually amazingly cheap considering I went to one of the best surgeons in south florida. I basically just googled surgeons within the area I was willing to travel, and I met three surgeons. I chose the one I did because he had the image manipulation technology so he could show me what it would look like, and honestly I just felt the most comfortable with him. I liked his before/afters the best, and there was one girl in his portfolio with a nose similar to mine and I liked her result. He also ended up being the least expensive, but that didn't really weigh on my decision at all. I was prepared to pay like twice as much.

I took two weeks off work but I had barely any bruising or pain at all and I could've gone back way sooner. A lot of heavy lifting was involved with my old job so it's good I didn't, but if my job wasn't so physical I would've been fine after only one week. I'd take two weeks though just to be safe, a lot of people look like they were hit by a truck right in the face.

The one thing though is make sure you and your doctor are on the same page as far as what you want your outcome to be. I really want another surgery because my tip is still overextended so I still really hate my nose lol. That's my own fault though, I was afraid to look too different but I should've just trusted my surgeon. I'm still so happy I did it though, it isn't perfect but I'm so much more comfortable with my face.
  7. Senior Member
    I want to be respectful of your decision, but I hope you won't mind if I say that I think you look beautiful
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MS234755 View Post
    I want to be respectful of your decision, but I hope you won't mind if I say that I think you look beautiful
    I was going to say I don't really understand why you want anything done to your nose, you look perfect to me. But that used to really piss me off when people tried to compliment me out of something I really wanted to do for myself so I refrained.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I was going to say I don't really understand why you want anything done to your nose, you look perfect to me. But that used to really piss me off when people tried to compliment me out of something I really wanted to do for myself so I refrained.
    This is what i was thinking. I'm definitely not opposed to plastic surgery, but you don't look like you need it at all! You're beautiful! But, if you don't feel that way then I understand wanting the surgery.
  10. Vandelay Industries
    Vandelay Industries
    Quote Originally Posted by RetepDoc View Post
    I have not had one done so I can't tell you how much it will cost or how much time you will need to take off of work.

However, I was very lucky to have the chance to rotate with one of the leading surgeons in rhinoplasty, Dr. William Shockley...UNC is super lucky to have him. He actually runs the rhinoplasty clinic here! If you lived in NC then I would tell you to go to him and only him. His work is incredible. But MI is a little too far away

I would first start by talking with anyone in the area who you know that has had a rhinoplasty. Ask them who their surgeon was and if they liked them. Read about the surgeons in your area...where did they train, who did they train under, do they have any publications and if so what for. Publications will often give you an idea of the surgeon's area of interest. If the surgeon has a ton of publications about breast reconstructive surgery then that is likely his area of expertise. I would recommend meeting with at least 2 surgeons and get their opinion on your nose, what they would do, recovery, expected cost, etc. Also, definitely ask to see pictures of the surgeon's work. Ask where he operates and research that facility...make sure it has a good reputation.
    Shoot. I wish I was closer because I would totally follow your recommendation . That gives me an idea to look at surgeons at Michigan State and U of Michigan though. Thanks so much for the tips! I'm writing all these down to research and ask. I've looked at the few local plastic surgeon's websites and their before and afters aren't impressing me really...I don't know if I'm just being insanely picky or they are taking the after pics before the swelling is gone or what, but they all look crooked to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    My plastic surgeon was SUCH an asshole. Like, omg I cant believe the way he spoke to me as a 14 year old. But he was the best, . I only have 2 small scars, and considering the strips of flesh that literally hung from my nose after this dog got me, its amazing. No one knows anything is wrong unless I point out the area and show them. And you may not have to leave Michigan. Michigan has some really big med schools, and at the big schools, AMAZING doctors tend to be there, so you can see about. Also you guys have some big cities, so better doctors will be there.
    Thank you, I'm definitely going to check out the university hospitals! Unfortunately Lansing and Detroit are pretty far for me...I'm actually closer to Chicago, but we'll see.

I've had a rhinoplasty! Mine cost me $4200, which is actually amazingly cheap considering I went to one of the best surgeons in south florida. I basically just googled surgeons within the area I was willing to travel, and I met three surgeons. I chose the one I did because he had the image manipulation technology so he could show me what it would look like, and honestly I just felt the most comfortable with him. I liked his before/afters the best, and there was one girl in his portfolio with a nose similar to mine and I liked her result. He also ended up being the least expensive, but that didn't really weigh on my decision at all. I was prepared to pay like twice as much.

I took two weeks off work but I had barely any bruising or pain at all and I could've gone back way sooner. A lot of heavy lifting was involved with my old job so it's good I didn't, but if my job wasn't so physical I would've been fine after only one week. I'd take two weeks though just to be safe, a lot of people look like they were hit by a truck right in the face.

The one thing though is make sure you and your doctor are on the same page as far as what you want your outcome to be. I really want another surgery because my tip is still overextended so I still really hate my nose lol. That's my own fault though, I was afraid to look too different but I should've just trusted my surgeon. I'm still so happy I did it though, it isn't perfect but I'm so much more comfortable with my face.
    Thank you so much for the info! That is really cheap!! I would love for mine to cost that but I am planning on a lot more. I'm glad to hear you recovered fast. I think my biggest issue besides the money will be taking off work, since I will be just starting a new job and will more than likely have two weeks vacation time for the whole year. I would love to do it now that I'm unemployed and in school, but I am poor. What do you mean by your nose is overextended? Is it something that surgery caused? I'm sorry you aren't happy.

Quote Originally Posted by green*eyes View Post
    This is what i was thinking. I'm definitely not opposed to plastic surgery, but you don't look like you need it at all! You're beautiful! But, if you don't feel that way then I understand wanting the surgery.
    Aw thank you guys so much. Fortunately for me, my weird nose most often looks normal in pictures. But in real life, it has always bothered me. I have a tough time finding sunglasses to fit me. You can see it here because of the lighting:

It's not something that like really affects me every single day, but I just don't like it. I've always gotten questions, even from family that doesn't see me regularly, if I broke my nose.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast