Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Getting close

1. Senior Member

Getting close

Advertisements
    And I'm getting nervous

Back years ago, I knew that if I ever got a tattoo I would want it to be of the Chinese symbol for my maiden name. So I researched to make sure I had the right symbol that my a Dad gave me a stamp of (at worst, the stamp says 'Clever'... But it is a stamp my dad used to stamp his checks)

So then over time, I thought about more of the design and wanted to do a yin/yang theme because it symbolizes a lot for my life. Then my Dad and Aunt died... And their Chinese astrological figures were the dragon and tiger.

I found a tattoo artist I trust, but I am having second thoughts and not sure why. We are going to do a Chinese dragon symbolizing one part of the yin/yang side looking down and reaching for the pearl of wisdom (with the symbol inside the pearl) and the tiger on the other side of the yin/yang looking up towards the dragon reaching down with the pearl. This would be symbolic since my Dad is the dragon and he died before my Aunt. Almost like he is guiding her.

Anyhow, I'm wondering if it is normal to get cold feet?

I know my thoughts on my Dad, my Aunt, the Chinese symbol (even if I did get it wrong), and the yin/yang theme won't change. Maybe I'm just nervous at making that first leap cause this is my first tattoo?

Any words of advice? I've thought about this for years... I think I'm just afraid I will regret it, but I think I have done everything right and been careful about this. So I can't really chalk it up to anything other than cold feet... But I don't want to cancel the appointment either cause the artist is booked up till May now
  2. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Cold feet or not ready?

It sounds like you have put ALOT of thinking into this. I want a tattoo someday but not until I am sure of what I want. Where are you planning to put it? Are we talking a big and public tattoo or small and discreet? Cold feet is understandable, but what exactly is holding you back from going all in?
  3. Senior Member
    I totally had cold feet before my tattoo, my friend had to drag me into the studio. I only have the one tattoo and I love it! Although I will not get another one. I drew mine with a sharpie for weeks before I actually got it done. It helped me get used to it being on my body and cope with the emotions behind it. Yours sounds incredibly intricate, so that may not be too practical! Your future tattoo obviously has a huge amount of meaning and emotion behind it, perhaps you're not having cold feet about the actual process/tattoo but about the emotions behind it? Sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith and trust that your careful planning has created something that will be incredible and that will be treasured forever. Best of luck! You'll have to post pictures if you end up going through with it
    Last edited by littlemissred; 12-27-2013 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Bad grammar :P
  4. Senior Member
    Thanks! You know, you might be on to something cause it may be more the emotions than anything else. I have put a lot of thought into it so the finality of what it means... That definitely makes more sense.

Btw, glad to know that I am not the only who had a bit of apprehension and am so glad to hear you love it your tattoo. I will definitely post pics once I get it done
  5. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    I have three and my last one is pretty noticeable. I decided that if I really wanted this tattoo, once I had an idea, I would let it sit for 6 months. If I still loved it at the end (and everything it meant to me), then I'd get it. And I did! Just make sure you really want it and can deal with having it on your body for the rest of your life.
  6. Senior Member
    Well I got it

DH got his long awaited tattoo too. Will try to update with pics when we get done with all of our pre-deployment stuff and I'm back home

DH was funny. After he got his, he was like 'I don't know if you can handle it' cause mine was going to be on my shoulder blade

Then I get my tattoo and not only did it take longer (mine was three hours and his was two)... He thought I fell asleep during it

I didn't though, I was just quiet and relaxed and let the tattoo artist do his thing