Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: color fade, touch up? new tattoo

1. Senior Member

color fade, touch up? new tattoo

Advertisements
    so, how long are you supposed to wait until you can properly assess whether or not your new tattoo needs a touch up in some areas? All I got was small, black script about 2 and a half weeks ago. I know that it goes through some scabbing and peeling, and it did already to a degree, but nothing crazy. It definitely seemed muted for a bit in the first weekish as I was told it would with the healing, but now is all smooth to the touch and seems either completely healed or nearly healed to me. There is one letter that is really bugging me as it appears to have ink loss smack dab in the middle of the letter. Not completely gone as in my skin color, but definitely partially faded... I feel like it looks so obvious.

i'm getting conflicting information on how long to wait until you truly know if you need a touch up for a new tattoo. Do you think I am truly seeing ink loss, it's still healing, and/or how long should I wait to assess? Like a full 4 weeks/month? Or now?
  2. Senior Member
    I'm wondering the same, though I've had mine for a year and a half (it's also black script).
    Camster is the best wifey ever
  3. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I have no idea exactly how long you should wait, but I have black script on my foot and it had ink loss. It's all the on the bottom half though, so it looks mildly intentional....I've had it for six years, maybe I should get it touched up I'm looking at it now and it's definitely gotten worse over the years.
  4. Senior Member
    your tattoo can take months to FULLY heal. just keep putting the lotion on it and keeping it moisturized and clean during the healing process and i wouldnt even consider it untill about a year later.

i have black script on my ribs and for the first like 4 months it looked faded bc it was healing and once i put lotion on it it looked 10x better. after a few months once it was done healing it was a good dark black consistantly, with or without lotion
    we kicked deployment #2's butt!

5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nicoleclare View Post
    your tattoo can take months to FULLY heal. just keep putting the lotion on it and keeping it moisturized and clean during the healing process and i wouldnt even consider it untill about a year later.

i have black script on my ribs and for the first like 4 months it looked faded bc it was healing and once i put lotion on it it looked 10x better. after a few months once it was done healing it was a good dark black consistantly, with or without lotion
    what about if the fading wasn't consistent, and was more "spotty"? the color all seems uniform until that one single letter with the one faded spot in the middle of it. Would that concern you?
  6. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

You can always call your tattooist and let them know your concerns and ask them about if a touchup is necessary and what timeframe s/he is comfortable with. I've heard it can take up to 6 months though ...
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alice04 View Post
    what about if the fading wasn't consistent, and was more "spotty"? the color all seems uniform until that one single letter with the one faded spot in the middle of it. Would that concern you?
    nothing about a tattoo would concern me untill the healing process it completely finished.

i have a big yellow ribbon on my foot. yellow is a HARD color to keep in. while it was healing, and peeling (dont pick or anything) the skin that was coming off my tattoo was bright yellow, and what was left looked skin colored, it was blotchy and really freaking me out, but i wouldnt touch it untill it was done healing. once it was done, it looked just like it did brand new. no blotches, no discoloration, and the spots that looked like they had no color, were yellow again.
    we kicked deployment #2's butt!

8. Banned
    Banned
    I plan on getting my tattoo touched up after I have this baby. I've had it for 5 years, and it's definitely time to get the color boosted.
  9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I agree with going back to the tattooist. If you don't trust them you could always ask another shop or artist. It is better to have a professional opinion and help to set your mind at ease.

Good Luck.
  10. Regular Member
    I got a tattoo in May while I was home visiting family. It's a horseshoe on my ribs, no color or anything. My tattoo artist told me to come back in 3 months and he'd take a look at it to see if it needed touched up. Buut, since we're in Alaska until the end of August, I won't be able to go back and see him until at least mid-September anyway.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast