Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: inked!

1. Senior Member

Big Grin inked!

Advertisements
    i finally got my tattoo!!!!!!!! and i know that most people will be annoyed with this thread since i am private and won't be sharing a picture... but it is a quote on my inner arm! i have another purpose for this thread though, i have some questions k, so i got it about a week ago. can i just say that it didn't hurt nearly as much as i thought it would?! as in... um, not at all pretty much?! i could have fallen asleep if it wasn't so small and simple and really didn't take that long!

ok so questions...

my artist actually advised against a&d ointment and aquaphor... which i thought was odd because that's what I've always heard people use... just told me to use unscented lotion from the get-go. they say not to use lotion with vitamin e, petroleum, mineral oil, some others... but there is legit no lotion out there that is fragrance free and sans all those ingredients... so i got Curel. Good? i hope so because I've been using it it does have petrolatum in the ingredients.

So how often did you wash your tattoo past the first few days? i was doing 2 or 3 times the first 5 days... now i just do one. it seems to be lightly peeling, but nothing crazy at all. Is once a day ok now? I've read that soaping up too many times a day can be too drying...

and how long should i wait until i can use a loofah in the shower again on it? i mean i know i shouldn't the first 2 weeks, but beyond that? some things i read say the tattoo isn't really fully healed until 3 months. should i not use any sort of loofah in that area for several months??

and what about sunscreen... of course reading that sunscreen can ruin a new tattoo... but how long do you think it'd be wise to wait until i use it? a month? more? i won't really be in direct sunlight until another month for a little vacation (not like a beach or anything, just being outside in nature). will sunscreen be ok for it then?

and lastly any other general healed-but-still-new tattoo guidelines? artist really only directly addresses the first 2 weeks... wasn't sure if like the first few months people had specific care that they tend to do.

oh, one more thing... i mean, i know a tattoo is permanent... but I've just got to think what if i ever injured the skin in that area, like months from now even years from now? like, my dog scratches my arm up or something, or i fall and scrape it, or burn it on the stove or something... when it heals whatever wound will the tattoo look normal or can these future injuries ruin the tattoo??

all these things i never thought about before until now

(if you can't tell by now, yes this was my first tattoo )
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

i used just plain lubriderm on mine from the get go...its still there and looks fine lol. and i only ever washed it in the shower (its kind of in an awkward place to just wash at the sink lol). as for the sunscreen idk because my rarely sees the light of day lol like id have to be naked outside lol

i was flat out told by my tattoo guy that i pretty much couldnt screw it up as long as i kept it moisturized and clean so i wasnt too anal about it.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Blondie* View Post
    i used just plain lubriderm on mine from the get go...its still there and looks fine lol. and i only ever washed it in the shower (its kind of in an awkward place to just wash at the sink lol). as for the sunscreen idk because my rarely sees the light of day lol like id have to be naked outside lol

i was flat out told by my tattoo guy that i pretty much couldnt screw it up as long as i kept it moisturized and clean so i wasnt too anal about it.
    i only have one friend who has a tattoo, and he said the same thing about "i don't think you can mess it up-its permanent!" and also sounded like he was quite lackadaisical about his aftercare too and it survived i was kind of under that impression as well... until i got the tatt and now am being told and reading about how certain lotions can blur it and fade it and it has me freaking out i mean, i figure now that i am a week into it and it still looks normal i should be out of the woods. i guess i just didn't know how "delicate" it was for weeks afterwards. i don't know whose advice to believe! so many conflicting accounts of tatt aftercare... it's driving me a bit nuts!
  4. Senior Member
    i only have 1 tattoo, but i used a&d until it all peeled off then i switched to lotion. my parents (both have tons of tattoos), sisters and brother all do it the same way.
  5. simply_sweetx0
    simply_sweetx0
    I used bacitracin ointment in the beginning, then non-scented lotion and anti-bacterial soap to watch it. Then I about three weeks after I got my tattoos, I just started to watch it lightly with my loofah with scented soap.
  6. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Unscented lotion and washing when I take a shower only. Washing too much dries it out. No petroleum based products near it until after it is healed. No picking at it or scratching it either.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  7. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.
    Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.

Each artist has different instructions. First tattoos, DH and I both used aquaphor and my last three, I used jergens ultra healing lotion. I just slathered it on multiple times a day. Curel should be fine. The artist I went to for my last three said that aquaphor/a&d doesnt only hold in too much moisture, but it also holds in the bacteria.

Dont pick at it.
    Dont shower more than once a day.
    No swimming for a month.
    Keep it hydrated. (lotion)
    No sunscreen for a month (I dont use it at all, but I have a friend who is super pale skinned and had super bright colorful (And SUPER EXPENSIVE) tattoos, and she just used a small amount of baby sunscreen on them after they had been on about a month. She uses sunscreen every day)

Dont use a loofah on that sucker til it is completely healed. I started using mine on my second tattoo after 2 weeks and it made the healing process longer. When you can touch it without feeling any scabbing, thats when my artist said it was okay to start using a loofah again.
    AND DONT SCRATCH IT. Its gonna itch. Its gonna itch pretty freakin bad. But when it itches, pat it with your hand until the burning desire to scratch goes away, and then put on more lotion. When washing it, use two fingers gently massaging the area with soap. Use a gentle cleanser, nothing too harsh, and something that is antibacterial until the tattoo heals (scent free if you can find it, I used dial hand soap for the first few weeks, then went to dove beauty body wash)

As for future damage. If it gets damaged, it probably wont look the same in all honestly. But it depends on the severity and type of damage. A dog scratch probably isnt going to affect it. A burn will. If the damage would typically scar your body otherwise, then it will probably damage the tattoo. But until it heals, try not to bump it against anything too hard, or injure it at all.

This is just what I know. Every artist has different instructions, but this is what I gathered from talking to a friend with quite a few tattoos and this was built up from her advice, my artists advice, internet research, and my own personal experience.
    Each tattoo is different, and each person is different.
    My first tattoo, I didnt know how to take care of it whatsoever. It doesnt look bad, but it doesnt look near as good as the next three. But it sounds like you are on the right track!