Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Arabic tattoo: Offensive?

1. Vandelay Industries
    Vandelay Industries

Arabic tattoo: Offensive?

Advertisements
    Wasn't sure to put this in debates or not.

So DB is getting his rib piece finished on Thursday and the artist (our friend) asked me if I wanted one. Hard to say no...so I've been brainstorming ideas and I really want a small word or phrase on my side in Arabic. My reasoning is I already have two text tattoos in English on my torso so I don't want too many words...plus the Arabic language is beautiful when written out.

I told my mom my idea and she basically freaked out saying it was disrespectful especially dating someone in the military. I guess because we are at war with some countries that speak this language.

To me, it's not a big deal at all. It's a language. It's not like the phrase I'm getting is offensive or anything....it'd be like love or family or something simple.

What do you think?
  2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Uh ...

I don't really have anything nice to say about your mom's opinion. Have you asked your DB? If he doesn't find it disrespectful I don't think she's entitled to feel all butthurt on the behalf of servicemembers or whatever. If he does find it disrespectful ... well I guess that is something for you two to work out, but I probably wouldn't have much nice to say about that opinion either.

Personally I am not really a fan of getting words in other languages but I don't think they're disrespectful either, just not my thing. Also I agree with you that Arabic is a beautiful language, both spoken and written. That being said, there probably are people out there who would be offended, but they're not worth your time IMO.
  3. Senior Member
    nbd to me.
    if i never see you again i will always carry you
    inside outside

on my fingertips and at brain edges

and in centers
    centers of what i am of what remains
    --- charles bukowski.

time to eas, baby!
  4. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    No offense, but I roll my eyes at people who have that reaction to things like this. I don't think it's offensive in the slightest. I think Arabic is a beautifully written language and if you want it and it means something to you then I say go for it. Farsi is also very pretty!

5. Senior Member
    I don't think that's offensive at all
  6. Vandelay Industries
    Vandelay Industries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    Uh ...

I don't really have anything nice to say about your mom's opinion. Have you asked your DB? If he doesn't find it disrespectful I don't think she's entitled to feel all butthurt on the behalf of servicemembers or whatever. If he does find it disrespectful ... well I guess that is something for you two to work out, but I probably wouldn't have much nice to say about that opinion either.

Personally I am not really a fan of getting words in other languages but I don't think they're disrespectful either, just not my thing. Also I agree with you that Arabic is a beautiful language, both spoken and written. That being said, there probably are people out there who would be offended, but they're not worth your time IMO.
    I haven't asked him his opinion yet because it never really occurred to me before today but when I showed him my idea all he said was 'I really like that!' so I'm assuming he's not at all offended. I just don't want to get it if there are going to be more people that agree with my mom because it's not worth it. I don't see it as any different than getting the stereotypical Chinese character, personally.
  7. Senior Member
    Uh, no. I know a bunch of soldiers with Arabic tattoos. Unless you get fuck the USA in farsi, I think you're ok and you know what? If that's what you wanted, that would be ok, too.
    Last edited by maegan; 04-16-2013 at 11:06 AM.
  8. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

No I do not think it is. My best friend is a marine and has a beautiful tattooing Arabic. People need to stop being so sensitive.
  9. Senior Member
    I don't think its offensive at all one of my good friends has Arabic tattoo because she speaks Arabic and she is half Lebanese and half Syrian and married to a Marine how has been deployed twice to the middle east. Just because some thing or someone is Arabic doesn't make it bad or offensive, I'm actually kinda offended your mom said that and took it that way.

"We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love."
    Dr. Seuss
  10. Senior Member
    Uh, no. Not all Arabic are bad. Arabic does not equal bad/the enemy. I'm extremely biased though I'll admit because my uncle is Palastinian and so is my cousin, they are Greek Orthodox, not Muslim, they work hard, he's married to my white aunt. Just, no, if you want Arabic then do it!
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast