Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tattoos and fading and all that jazz...

1. Senior Member

tattoos and fading and all that jazz...

Advertisements
    i feel like everytime i am finally "ready" to go get my dream tattoo, i learn something else that makes me stop and wait and freak out.

k, so i've wanted this tattoo for about 3 years now. a quote on my inner forearm. i thought my only dilemma was picking a good tattoo shop, well, that got cleared up when one of the guys that used to be at the unit has now opened his own tattoo shop.

anyways... so i was pondering when would be best to get it. i thought waiting until after the summer might be better, i'm not much of an avid tanner usually but we are planning on going on a tropical vacation so i will probably be tanning quite a bit for that for fun. so i was like, i should probably wait so i don't damage it the new tattoo.

well, that lead me to researching about sunscreen and tattoos... so here is question number 1. i know it's a good idea to put sunscreen on your tattoos when out in the sun in any degree. but a part of me is like seeing these people with tattoos on their shoulders or even full sleeves both male and female, and some of them are really tan (especially the ladies) and their tattoos are intricate and there is no "halo" around it indicating sunblock. and i'm like... there is no way these people are putting sunblock on their tattoos everytime they are out in the sun. do you think the average person does?

and question number 2... which is what i am most curious about... as i am researching about the sun fading a tattoo, i got plenty of pages telling me that tattoos fade regardless of placement or sun exposure... and that tattoo touchups are pretty much guaranteed to be needed with any tattoo! ah! i had never heard of that before... i tried googling what the average lifespan of a tattoo before needing a touchup would be and i couldn't find a definitive answer AT ALL. i mean, i know it probably varies from person to person... but what am i looking at here? a touchup needed every 5 years? 10 years? 20 years?

like i said mine would be straight up black ink wrting on my arm. but i am also thinking about these people that have super intricate and detailed tattoos covering their bodies... they have to get the entirety of that tattoo redone at least a few times in their lifetime?! man that is dedication!

what happens if you move away from your original tattoo artist or that person disappears or dies? hope and pray that another tattoo artist can retouch and retrace your tatoo the same?!

learning this has pretty much stopped me from wanting the other detailed picture like designs i had wanted on my body. if anything, i'd stick with just the writing on my arm. but now i'm worried about it looking like shit and blurring every few years and needing to find someone to retrace it.

please, current tattoo bearers, enlighten me...
  2. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Sunscreen is my best friend. I keep some in my car and in my purse. There is also some in the Harley. Sunscreen absolutely helps.

As far as touching up someone else's work? It depends on the artist. My friend, RuthAnn, did my last touch up on someone else's work. But my current artist probably wouldn't.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

i have one and i mean i put sunscreen on it like i would any other part of my body...nothing special like...and ive had no issue with it after 9 years ish...my dad has a bunch that he got when he was in his late teens/ early twenties and they are all still fine at 58 without needing touching up.

i think just black ink shouldnt be sooo much of an issue with fading i know my dad said some of his used to have color in them but now that is faded so id be worried about that with a lot of color....
  4. verabot89
    verabot89
    I have had 3 tattoos by 3 artists, and the second one touched up my first tattoo just fine. I heard not to expose your tattoo to direct sunlight without sunblock for the first year and after that it's okay. I would say more than one touch up after 5-10 years is unnecessary.
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

5. i request the highest of fives!
    i request the highest of fives!
    I'm out in the crazy desert sun every day in the warm months and I don't wear sunblock unless I'm legit just going to sit in the sun and do nothing else
    It's just a hassle for me to put sunblock on before I get in the pool for my workout every day.
    It's definitely better for your tattoo, ESPECIALLY when it's new, to sunblock it, but it's not like it's going to immediately turn to a pile of shit if you don't.
    All tattoos fade. They just do. Fact. And everyone wants you to get them touched up so they still look perfecto for your whole life.
    Chances are if your artist is good, you'll have to do it like once in your life and it'll only be to make it super black again.
  6. Senior Member
    thank you for all the responses! so, do you think it would be an absolutely dumb decision for me to get it right now? i'd have 2 full months before i'd be out in the sun... i never use a tanning bed, i just lay outside... and i'd probably do this a few times a week outside for about 2 months for the vacation. i'm going to be honest... i probably wouldn't put sunblock on it every time, in order to get an "even" tan and have it blend. maybe buy that sunscreen stick thing and try to trace it, but still probably wouldn't every time to avoid the "halo" affect. should i just wait until the summer is over?

only cons to waiting are 1. well, i just almost don't want to i've been waiting too long i just want to get that sucker on there and 2. there is a possibility we might TTC right before summer deployment, so that means i'd have to wait until after i was no longer pregnant/breastfeeding obviously. which means like another year to wait... which brings us to next spring again with the same problem 3 years of wanting it and i'm feeling impatient...

but again, i don't want to pay money just to ruin it right after. sooooo yeah. 2 months of healing and no sun, followed by 2 months of laying out in sun regulary. yea or nay?
  7. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    I have 3 tattoos and I put sunblock on if I'm laying out or something like that. They're going to fade regardless. One of mine is 7ish years old and it's fading a little bit, but not bad.

8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I have two tattoos. The first one remained pretty covered for a while after I got it since I was still in high school and it was always covered by my uniform. I got my second one on a trip home for Christmas while I was in college. (I live in the Caribbean for reference). I think like 2 days after I got my tattoo my family went to the beach to celebrate my leaving, and there was no way I was staying at home when I was headed back into winter. So I was definitely in the sun and in the water with it. I just made sure and put a lot of A&D ointment on it and it was fine. Both my tattoos seem to be doing pretty well in terms of fading and I only put on sunscreen on the one on my chest when I go to the beach (if I remember). The one on my chest is about 5 years old and the one on my foot is about 2 years old. So yes they will fade and will never look as bright as when they first get done, but I honestly think, when done well, they are pretty durable.
  9. i request the highest of fives!
    i request the highest of fives!
    i would go for it. as long as it's healed well before you start laying out, it will be fine.
  10. Senior Member
    i have 4 tattoos right now (more to come). i have a small one on my hip thats black with a blue star and a pink star (6 yrs old), writing in black ink on my left ribcage (3 yrs old) , a big colorful design on my back (4 yrs old) , and a yellow ribbon with black words on my foot (6 months old). i have the special tattoo specific sunscreen that i put on when im going to lay out, or when id go in tanning beds id cover them so they wouldnt get too messed up. and the only one thats kind of faded, is my hip. the pink and blue are kinda faded but the pink is worse off than the blue but i will also admit that was done by a less than reputable tattoo artist haha. the one on my back has pink green yellow and white in it, and ive only had to touch it up once, and only in certain places where the color didnt take as well as we would have liked. the black writing on my ribs is fine, and my foot only needs to be retouched in a few places where the yellow didnt take very well, but that was bc after an hour, my foot was so red it was kind of hard to tell weather it was really going to be as yellow as the top part of the ribbon, so we expected to retouch it after it was done healing. the only one that is visible normally is my foot, but i dont put sunscreen on it when i go out in flip flops, and it seems to be just fine. no difference in the last 4 months that ive been in the florida sun and its still pretty new

but honestly, if any of them do start fading to the point that im not happy with them, id 100% go get them retouched. i committed to the tattoo so im going to commit to the upkeep of it.
    we kicked deployment #2's butt!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast