Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ear piercing: gun vs. needle

1. Regular Member

Ear piercing: gun vs. needle

Advertisements
    So I got my ears pierced at claire's when I was probably about 13, with a gun and they healed fine. Last May I got my seconds done and my cartilage (at the same time). The guy used a needle for both. These piercings seem to be taking a really long time to heal, and on the second hole on my right ear, when I take out the earring, I can feel a small ball kind of around the piercing hole. Is this from doing it with a needle, or maybe just not taking care of it as well? I know cartilage takes longer to heal, but it's been almost a year, and when I take the earring out there's a big bump that the piercing sits on, if that makes sense. What is this from, does it have anything to do with the method that it was pierced?
  2. Senior Member
    For one, cartilage takes longer to heal. By a lot. I know people who's cartilage never healed.
    As for your second ear piercing (I assume it's the lobe area) it's probably just how your body is handling it and maybe your care. How often do you take out the jewelry/when did you first take it out? That can have an impact. Needles are much better about damage after the piercing so I highly doubt the method is to blame.
  3. Live In Love
    Live In Love
    I will always always use a piercing needle. out if all my 27 piercings, only two were with a gun, and that was my first earlobe set. I would much rather have the small piece of skin removed, than cauliflower ear...
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Honestly it all depends. I got my second holes done when I was a kid and had issues with healing so I took them out. I have them redone again but I don't think it makes a difference as to what it was pierced with. I have 6 piercings in each ear and I have had all my piercings heal differently. Them bump is called a keloid? I think and it can be caused from no properly cleaning it or from bumping it hard. You can use tea tree oil on it, or seasalt to help those go away. Google other ways because I believe there is more ways as well but it's been so long since i've dealt with one. You might just need to take it out and let it air out and treat it with something. I had to do this to heal keloids and they went down and I was able to put my piercings back in. But I made sure daily I pushed jewelry threw the hole.
  5. Senior Member
    P.S. Is it the side you sleep on? That can cause more irritation if it's just on one side.
  6. Come along with me, misery loves company.
    Come along with me, misery loves company.

Quote Originally Posted by photographerkate View Post
    For one, cartilage takes longer to heal. By a lot. I know people who's cartilage never healed.
    As for your second ear piercing (I assume it's the lobe area) it's probably just how your body is handling it and maybe your care. How often do you take out the jewelry/when did you first take it out? That can have an impact. Needles are much better about damage after the piercing so I highly doubt the method is to blame.
    Quote Originally Posted by photographerkate View Post
    P.S. Is it the side you sleep on? That can cause more irritation if it's just on one side.
    Yes to both of these.

I had all of my ear piercings done wit a gun and only my lobes healed properly. It was super painful to have earrings in my second holes and cartilage.
  7. Regular Member
    Needles for cartilage is always better...they have a hole in the center to take out the extra where as the gun just punches through it. The bumps around the piercing is scaring or infection, best way to know is to go to a professional and see if they think it is normal or something that needs to be taken to a doctor. With the cartilage it is probably a bit of scaring from where the cartilage fractured (which is why cartilage piercings are frowned upon in the medical field) and that is how it healed to cope with it.

I was told to use peroxide and sea salt to clean it twice a day and to only use solid posts (the kind they do the original piercing with) until it is completely healed. And try not to sleep on them, they can get snagged on your hair and the pillow case, etc and pull and it definitely increases soreness.
  8. i request the highest of fives!
    i request the highest of fives!
    a needle is ALWAYS better. likely your problems are due to operator error... aka the piercer sucked. the keloids are due to that.
    i would order some h2ocean. can't go wrong with that stuff. DON'T use peroxide. it'll make the scarring and whatnot worse.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I have always gotten gun pericings and they healed pretty quick. Maybe it depends on the person?

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  10. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.
    Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.

I got my lobes done with a gun, and Ill never have any done that way again. My four needle piercings healed faster, and look better, and are the appropriate size. My lobes were pierced by an idiot who did them one size too small so to wear normal size earrings. Which is fine because I finally just bought studs that are a size smaller than normal, but my other three ear piercings healed perfectly, well before they were "supposed" to be done healing. Honestly to me it sounds like you just need to find a better piercer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast