Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did you decide on what to get as a tattoo?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

How did you decide on what to get as a tattoo?

Advertisements
    I have wanted a tattoo from the time I was 15 or 16, my mom was even going to let me get one at 16 but I could never settle on something. I still want one darnit but I don't really know what I want, I mean it IS going to be there forever so obviously I want it to have some kind of meaning. I used to want to get a yellow awareness ribbon for all my friends and family in the services on one side of my back or on on shoulder blade and then the awareness ribbon for lung cancer on the other. But then I think the ones on the shoulder blades will look odd.

How did you decide what you wanted / where you wanted it?
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I don't have one yet but I've been mulling over a specific tattoo I want. I really want to make sure that's what I want forever. Soul searching I guess would be an appropriate answer.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I have one tattoo that I would ever get, if I get one. Before my grandma died we were like BEST friends. Whenever we'd hang up on the phone or I'd leave her house, she wouldn't tell me bye, she'd tell me "stay pretty". So I'd get "Stay pretty" written on my ribs in a pretty cursive font.

I picked it because it's super meaningful to me and I know I wouldn't regret it.
  4. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    I got the butterfly on my right shoulder blade because it's where my grandma always put her hand when I was younger and her hand was always light has a butterfly, hence the butterfly.

The tiger on my other upper-arm/shoulder I got because I love tigers and everything they convey, strength, beauty, power,ect and the flowers to represent the tough year I had and that I came out of it. It's my reminder that I can come out of anything, I wanted that one where I could see it because I wanted to be able to see it and have a reminder.
  5. Senior Member
    The one on my wrist is in Latin because that's what I've studied through out college, it says Fortissima, which means the strongest. I got it after my breakup with my ex. He had always wanted me to tattoo breath or relax on my wrist because he said I was high-strung and ridiculous. Instead, I knew I was stronger than him and anything else that came my way.

The one on my leg covered up the scorpion that I got when I was 18 and with my ex. I got it covered with a lilly, the first flower DH ever gave me. He sent me them from Germany, just to wish me luck in school. The anchor is because DH keeps me grounded, because I'm... well, high strung and ridiculous

ETA: I have a few more ideas for some other tattoos bouncing around in my head. I really want 'to err is human, to persist in error out of pride diabolical' in latin somewhere on my body.

6. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I have three tattoos, and they all had meaning for me when I got them. Now (5 years after I got them), I still love my first one, and the other two don't bother me but I could do without them too. As for choosing where to put them, I love feet, and I love being barefoot, so I knew I wanted my first one on my foot. The other two were more based on being able to show if I wanted, but also hide it easily.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I knew when I saw mine that it was perfect for me, and I have it where I have to TRY to see it so I won't get sick of it easily. My second tattoo is going to be meaningful as well, and Harry Potter related... can't go wrong there
  8. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    I have two tattoos. Both in areas that wont stretch if I ever gain weight or get preggo. Thats one thing to think about for location. I also have then in places that would be hidden in my profession or if, god forbid, I ever had to change professions and need to be in a professional work setting. As for what I got, one is a small heart. Just the outline of a heart. Its something I always draw and it, for some reason, is connected to vet med in my mind. I got it when my childhood dog, Sacha, was put to sleep. Yes, I got a tattoo for my dog. But I loved him, so much. And so worth it. The other tattoo I got is an infinity symbol and I got it because to me it shows strength and that no matter what, I will endure. I got it to remind me to go to vet school, and if I go for it, I would get it.

Can you tell my life revolves around my job?
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    I have two tattoos. Both in areas that wont stretch if I ever gain weight or get preggo. Thats one thing to think about for location. I also have then in places that would be hidden in my profession or if, god forbid, I ever had to change professions and need to be in a professional work setting. As for what I got, one is a small heart. Just the outline of a heart. Its something I always draw and it, for some reason, is connected to vet med in my mind. I got it when my childhood dog, Sacha, was put to sleep. Yes, I got a tattoo for my dog. But I loved him, so much. And so worth it. The other tattoo I got is an infinity symbol and I got it because to me it shows strength and that no matter what, I will endure. I got it to remind me to go to vet school, and if I go for it, I would get it.

Can you tell my life revolves around my job?
    I HAD NO IDEA YOU HAD TATTOOS. Where are deeeeyyy?
  10. Semper Fi kinda Life <3
    Semper Fi kinda Life <3
    Blog Entries
    I have 11 tattoos, about to get my 12th and about to finish my half sleeve.
    Every single one of my tattoos, simple or complex, has a meaning and purpose. Honestly, it has to come to you. If there is something you are passionate about, want to remember,a time in your life, a symbol or statement that motivates you.
    When it's right you'll know it. All of mine came to me with time. I would have an idea of what I wanted to do and I'd let it fall into place from there.

I got my first tattoo when I was 18 (I'll be 27 in 3 months) ...and I still love every single one of my tattoos because they all represent something important in my life.

Jen2407 is my Wifey!

Come Check us out... Items designed for MilSo's!!
    Operation Military Sweethearts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast