Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Tattoo parlor in Augusta or Atlanta?

1. ...and carry a towel.
    ...and carry a towel.

Tattoo parlor in Augusta or Atlanta?

Advertisements
    Playing with the idea of getting a tattoo for Christmas. But heard some pretty horrific stuff about tattoo parlors in Georgia, in terms of lower state standards for parlors, bad hygiene standards, and infections, and the like. Apparently soldiers who get tattoos in Georgia are not allowed to donate blood for a year, because of the high rate of post-tattoo infections. Lovely.

So anyone have experience with tattoo parlors over there, and know one which does good work AND is not going to give me an STI?
  2. Senior Member
    No information, but I've always heard you aren't allowed to donate blood or plasma for a year after a tattoo or piercing anyway, regardless of where you have it done.
  3. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    No information, but I've always heard you aren't allowed to donate blood or plasma for a year after a tattoo or piercing anyway, regardless of where you have it done.
    From the Red Cross website:
    Wait 12 months after a tattoo if the tattoo was applied in a state that does not regulate tattoo facilities. This requirement is related to concerns about hepatitis. Learn more about hepatitis and blood donation.

Acceptable if the tattoo was applied by a state-regulated entity using sterile needles and ink that is not reused. There are 32 states that currently regulate tattoo facilities. You should discuss your particular situation with the health historian at the time of donation.
    ETA: From ASBP http://www.militaryblood.dod.mil/Don..._i_donate.aspx

12 months after getting the piercing, brand, tattoo or permanent make-up.

Exceptions:

1) There is no deferral for ear piercings performed using sterile, single-use equipment.

2) Some donors may be eligible to donate one week after adequate healing of the tattoo if applied in a state- regulated facility with sterile needles and single-use inks.

Please contact your local ASBP blood donor center for more details.

I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Let me check some of my past threads real quick for you. Metaphysique recommended a place in Atlanta that she's used before that I'm considering when I visit my parents.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    This was one of the threads she mentioned them in: Crystal, Metaphysique and others knowledgeable....

This is the shop she mentioned: Memorial Tattoo | Atlanta Tattoo | Atlanta Tattoo Artists | Atlanta Georgia.

I believe she's relatively close to that area or has lived there in the past, so I'm sure she will know a lot about places in the areas you're looking.
  6. ...and carry a towel.
    ...and carry a towel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    From the Red Cross website:

ETA: From ASBP ASBP: Can I Donate? - General guidelines and restrictions
    Yeah, that is basically what I heard. That Georgia is one of the states which do not regulate tattoo facilities, therefore it is considered more of a "risky" place to get a tattoo.

Quote Originally Posted by LynnAFWife View Post
    This was one of the threads she mentioned them in: Crystal, Metaphysique and others knowledgeable....

This is the shop she mentioned: Memorial Tattoo | Atlanta Tattoo | Atlanta Tattoo Artists | Atlanta Georgia.

I believe she's relatively close to that area or has lived there in the past, so I'm sure she will know a lot about places in the areas you're looking.
    Thank you! I looked at their stuff, they seem pretty good. I just hope what I want is interesting enough for them, heh.
  7. ...and carry a towel.
    ...and carry a towel.
    In case anyone has any other recommendations...

I'm still not quite sure I have the guts to make the commitment... but I think I have narrowed down the kind of design I want...