Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crystal, Metaphysique and others knowledgeable...

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Question Crystal, Metaphysique and others knowledgeable...

Advertisements
    in finding good tattoo artists!

If you have time, would you mind looking at the photos of the work done by the artists on this facebook page: The Zone Tattoo & Body Piercing - Tattoo & Piercing - Warrensburg, MO | Facebook and telling me what you think?

When I look at photos and am trying to find someone, what should I be looking for? Is there another way to find out about an artist?

I know one person who got a tattoo at this place, he had a phrase done on the inside of his upper arm (bicep) and it looks good. I know no one other than him that's gotten a tattoo in this area.

Any feedback anyone has on their photos would be very appreciated!
  2. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Off to look... Will post more later!
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  3. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?

I definitely see solid work. A lot of what I look for depends on the piece I'm planning. If it's something rather simple then I just find a reputable studio. If it's much more detailed, an actual project, then I spend much more time searching, calling around and speaking with artists. If you want a particular style of tattoo then it makes sense to search for an artist that specializes in that style.

For my quarter sleeve and calf piece, I did a google search for artists that specialize in realism. At the time I didn't live in a large city so it was difficult to find an artist with that specialization. There was one artist whose work I absolutely loved, but she was booked three months out. So I looked outside the area. I ended up going with an artist 2.5 hours away. I did all of the planning by e-mail/phone for both pieces. I had both done the same day.

The artist I used is simply amazing. I'm in awe of his work. My quarter sleeve is the one with the rainbow and flowers.

Pork Chop

Ms. Juno Lucina:

For my chest piece, I went to a local shop I had been to before. It was a simple design compared to my other large pieces. I talked it over with the artist and gave him an idea what I wanted and we made some revisions. I'm planning on two more projects for the beginning of next year. I already know what shop I'll be going to. Since they will be large custom pieces I spent a good deal of time searching for really amazing artists. This is the shop I'll be going to. They charge a pretty penny, too. $150 an hour. I'm sure my thigh piece will likely run 4-5ish hours. A few for the half sleeve.

It really comes down to checking out different artists and asking questions. Making sure they can perform the task. If he/she doesn't sound enthusiastic about it or isn't familiar with a particular style, go elsewhere. Some claim they can do just about anything, but that's not true. Vibe and reputation are key factors for me for serious work. If I'm going to be under the needle for 2+ hours there needs to be a good vibe. It's permanent so I have to be comfortable with the artist and the work.

Hope that helps!
    Pax, Aeon
  4. Senior Member
    Personally I'm not a fan of the work, but I like clean cut non colored non cartoony tattoos.

5. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    Quote Originally Posted by briannanoel View Post
    Personally I'm not a fan of the work, but I like clean cut non colored non cartoony tattoos.
    Devin's is the better of the three. I, personally, would have no problem getting something simple from there. My wrist tattoos took all of 15-20 minutes. Simple, straightforward, but for other work, I'd go somewhere else.

A lot of their work is more "old school" or traditional vs. "new school." I tend to prefer new school.
    Pax, Aeon
  6. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

I'd say, just by looking at the pics that the artists are fair to good. But in all fairness, it's hard to tell by pics of brand new ink.

I found my current artist by asking strangers where they got their work done... It's an easy way to find out where the not so good artists and the good ones too. After I've narrowed down the field, I go to the shop and meet with the artist(s), chat with them and find out how long they've been tattooing, describe what you want and see if it's something they'd be interested in doing. I've been able to go by instinct after that and I've had great luck. I think being able to like and be able to carry on a conversation with my artist is important... I won't have a jerk put ink on my body.

I think you should come see me...
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post

I definitely see solid work. A lot of what I look for depends on the piece I'm planning. If it's something rather simple then I just find a reputable studio. If it's much more detailed, an actual project, then I spend much more time searching, calling around and speaking with artists. If you want a particular style of tattoo then it makes sense to search for an artist that specializes in that style.

For my quarter sleeve and calf piece, I did a google search for artists that specialize in realism. At the time I didn't live in a large city so it was difficult to find an artist with that specialization. There was one artist whose work I absolutely loved, but she was booked three months out. So I looked outside the area. I ended up going with an artist 2.5 hours away. I did all of the planning by e-mail/phone for both pieces. I had both done the same day.

The artist I used is simply amazing. I'm in awe of his work. My quarter sleeve is the one with the rainbow and flowers.

Pork Chop

Ms. Juno Lucina:

For my chest piece, I went to a local shop I had been to before. It was a simple design compared to my other large pieces. I talked it over with the artist and gave him an idea what I wanted and we made some revisions. I'm planning on two more projects for the beginning of next year. I already know what shop I'll be going to. Since they will be large custom pieces I spent a good deal of time searching for really amazing artists. This is the shop I'll be going to. They charge a pretty penny, too. $150 an hour. I'm sure my thigh piece will likely run 4-5ish hours. A few for the half sleeve.

It really comes down to checking out different artists and asking questions. Making sure they can perform the task. If he/she doesn't sound enthusiastic about it or isn't familiar with a particular style, go elsewhere. Some claim they can do just about anything, but that's not true. Vibe and reputation are key factors for me for serious work. If I'm going to be under the needle for 2+ hours there needs to be a good vibe. It's permanent so I have to be comfortable with the artist and the work.

Hope that helps!
    Thank you so much. I love your artwork and appreciate you taking the time to look, I really do. Like you said it's permanent, so I want it to be right. I've known what I want for quite a while now, and have been looking at photos of two of them every day for over a year now. One I haven't got drawn or on paper, but I have a concept in my mind so finding someone who can make it look like I see is so important.
  8. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    I'd say, just by looking at the pics that the artists are fair to good. But in all fairness, it's hard to tell by pics of brand new ink.

I found my current artist by asking strangers where they got their work done... It's an easy way to find out where the not so good artists and the good ones too. After I've narrowed down the field, I go to the shop and meet with the artist(s), chat with them and find out how long they've been tattooing, describe what you want and see if it's something they'd be interested in doing. I've been able to go by instinct after that and I've had great luck. I think being able to like and be able to carry on a conversation with my artist is important... I won't have a jerk put ink on my body.

Ditto.
    Pax, Aeon
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by briannanoel View Post
    Thanks for looking. For my first, it will be fairly straight forward and in black. But I want it to be well done, KWIM?
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post

OK, thanks, I really appreciate you looking. I agree, I think I should just go with you.

My parents also live near Atlanta, so I could also go to the one in Metaphysique's link.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast