Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Juicing!

1. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries

Juicing!

Advertisements
    We bought a juicer!
    Mainly because dh is having jaw surgery in less then two weeks, so instead of buying crap juice from the store, we are going to make it.
    Now I'm not a veggie person at all so I'm using this to help me get more veggies in my diet and fruits. Might as well have a glass while I'm making his!
    So I need your tried and tested juices we did just make fresh oj and fresh lemonade
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

2. Senior Member
    I think I want one of those for my birthday! I've heard it can get expensive, but I figured I I only use fruits and veggies on sale it wouldn't be too bad.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Today I've made two juices. This morning was enough for both DH and it was 2 oranges, 1 apple, 1 large cucumber, 6 stalks of celery, kale, and a beet. DH said it was a little root tasting but I liked it. I just finished drinking 2 oranges, 4 carrots, 5 celery, and ginger it was okay, nothing special. I tend to just buy a variety of fruit and veg and then toss them in. Normally in the fridge is:

Kale
    Spinach
    Parsley
    Beets
    Cucumbers
    Celery
    Ginger
    Apples
    Oranges
    Pears

I also toss in a tablespoon of Chia seeds sometimes. DH got really into juicing after watching Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. Juice tends to be his breakfast before pt and he has a small second breakfast after . The website from the movie has some juice recipes too.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Beet, carrot, apple, lemon and ginger is one of my favorite but not super kid friendly since the beets will stain. I also drink Celery, kale, apple, pear, lemon and parsley pretty often. I honestly also get ideas from the juice bottles at whole foods. They sell packaged fresh juice and say what's in it on the front so I use those as a way to see what juices go together nicely.
  5. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    I think I want one of those for my birthday! I've heard it can get expensive, but I figured I I only use fruits and veggies on sale it wouldn't be too bad.
    I got my juicer for $70, but I needed a 220v so it costs more.
    It's 1000w and I only had to turn it on for like 10-15 seconds and it was done
    I went and bought $10 of fruit. And looks like it will make me 2-4 juices, maybe?
    I. Nervous about putting veggies in my juice
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

6. Senior Member
    Spinach is the easiest veggie to start with. You cannot taste it, at all...especially if you add a bold fruit like blueberries or pineapple.

I make all sorts of concoctions. My favorite is: Kale, spinach, cucumber, ginger, cilantro, green apple.

I try to stick to a 1:2/fruit:veggie ratio.
  7. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    be silly. be honest. be kind.
    Honestly, freshly juiced granny smith apples are the best. Tastes just like a jolly rancher

I usually stick with a base of spinach/kale, green apple, ginger, lemon, celery and cucumber. Once I got used to that, I added in other things, like I love to add carrot and mint.

"The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Procella View Post
    Today I've made two juices. This morning was enough for both DH and it was 2 oranges, 1 apple, 1 large cucumber, 6 stalks of celery, kale, and a beet. DH said it was a little root tasting but I liked it. I just finished drinking 2 oranges, 4 carrots, 5 celery, and ginger it was okay, nothing special. I tend to just buy a variety of fruit and veg and then toss them in. Normally in the fridge is:

Kale
    Spinach
    Parsley
    Beets
    Cucumbers
    Celery
    Ginger
    Apples
    Oranges
    Pears

I also toss in a tablespoon of Chia seeds sometimes. DH got really into juicing after watching Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. Juice tends to be his breakfast before pt and he has a small second breakfast after . The website from the movie has some juice recipes too.
    That documentary was my inspiration for buying a juicer and eventually going onto becoming a vegetarian

As for recipes - I pull a lot from the website above but I also just start adding. A good thing to remember is try to add every color fruit/veggie into your juice then you're getting lots of good stuff. Also, don't over-add fruits because while fruits are still healthy, they still are a lot of sugar and you 'get' more from veggies. Carrot juice is like gold in this house Wyatt LOVES fresh carrot juice! Also, save the pulp from the veggies, you can still use that for making vegetable broths or use it in stocks