Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

View Poll Results: Do you still get ready for work each morning? (Makeup &/Or Hair)

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 38.89%
  • No

3 16.67%
  • Rarely/Sometimes

8 44.44%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Have No Idea How I Used To Get Ready Every Morning

1. Regular Member

I Have No Idea How I Used To Get Ready Every Morning

Advertisements
    Who here still regularly gets ready every morning for work? I have no idea how I did it every morning for school starting at the age of 13 up to 18. And I mean more than basics, so add hair and make up in there. Or one of those at a minimum.

Part of it could be because I don't like spending my money on much so I have limited and cheap products of make up. Additionally, I have a very casual job as a collection agent who can wear casual clothing and sees very little people. And...I get my daughter ready for school every morning so I'm totally a bum in the morning.

Does getting ready every day improve your mood, how much time a day do you spend getting ready? I mean I'm considering waking up 10-15 minutes earlier just to do my make up. I literally go to work blank face, blemishes not covered even when they crop up on occasion.

I'm sure if I was with my LDL this would NOT be happening. I rarely shave my legs even. Should I get motivation for myself just because? (: I'm thinking yes.
  2. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    I can’t wear make up at work, so that’s out. Even if I wanted to I couldn’t have that.

But hair? Yes. Every day. No one will see very much of it because I have to cover it up, but it’s always in a state that I wouldn’t mind if people did see. Clean, combed, tied back neatly to be out of the way.

I paint my toenails every few days. Not being allowed to wear makeup or jewellery (I can’t even have my wedding ring on very often) at work, I have to take whatever scraps of “pretty” I can scrounge, and the toenails at least are safely out of the way under the toecaps in my boots. It entertains me to know I have all these beautiful bright colours under shitkicker boots. It makes me smile.

Self-care matters. Whether that’s eating well, or doing something to make yourself feel pretty, or whatever it might be, it DOES matter. Even if no one but you will know it’s there.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  3. Senior Member
    I'll go with other.
    I do most of the time. But, if I have work/school at like 6am or 7am sometimes I won't bother. It does change my mood for sure. I don't wear a lot (just mascara, neutral shadow, and liner) so it adds about 10-15 minutes to my routine. Oh and I hardly do anything with my hair. I don't even blowdry it.

4. Senior Member
    I have a super minimal routine that takes like ten minutes, I probably don’t look like I wear anything but I’ve trapped myself wearing makeup every day so if I don’t everybody will think I’m sick.

I just do concealer under the eyes/brows/mascara. I flat iron my hair to get the weird sleepy bends out of it but I don’t “style” it.
  5. "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I have a super minimal routine that takes like ten minutes, I probably don’t look like I wear anything but I’ve trapped myself wearing makeup every day so if I don’t everybody will think I’m sick.

I just do concealer under the eyes/brows/mascara. I flat iron my hair to get the weird sleepy bends out of it but I don’t “style” it.
    I dare you not to wear it, and when someone asks if you’re okay...

“No. I have plague. Would you like some?”

Your choice of improbable disease
  6. Regular Member
    Yeah, I'm thinking of going minimal because I was sick for a week this past week and I'm sure I just looked absolutely darling.

Sometimes I care what I look like, and others I don't because I think what's the point. But, that almost makes it more depressing.

Just debating if the extra 10-15 minutes of the day are worth it.
  7. "...now do Classical Gas"
    OP, you were asking if you should get motivation for yourself, just because...do you HAVE anything that you do that’s for yourself, just because?

Not for your daughter. Not for your boyfriend. Not for your boss. What in your life is there that’s only for you?
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

My old manager asked if I was okay because I looked pale. "that's just my face."

I wear minimal makeup (eye stuff and lip stuff) less than 10 times a year, I don't own concealer or bronzer or blush and I wouldn't know how to use them if I did.
    I usually wash my hair, brush it and tie it back, I just got it cut too short to tie back, so I really saved myself a step. I did dye it and although it didn't go as planned, it now has pink and purple in it, and that makes me happy.
    I often leave the house with wet hair, something my mom cringes at.

I was in the fire service so I never wore makeup (you get sweaty a lot) and my hair had to be pulled back so it wouldn't get in the way of my mask.
  9. Senior Member
    I'm in the lovely club of people thinking I'm dying if I don't wear at least mascara. Usually I just do mascara, eyeliner every now and then, plus chapstick. But I do wash/blowdry my hair in the morning, and it often ends up in a braid by the time I get to work. I am seriously considering going back to it being pretty short. My hair does this thing where it half waves, somewhat curls, and then chunks are straight, so if I don't do anything with it, it's all sorts of weird. I use a diffuser to dry my hair, and it softens & spreads out the waviness. My hair also lightens to a rather bright auburn in the summer from a dark brown, so I get questions all the time what I use to dye it.

I do bubble bath soaks & face masks as self-care. Usually with wine/cider/old fashioneds. I love the grocery store (Kroger) sheet masks!
    I live dangerously - I drink whiskey while knitting.
  10. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    At my old job, the only thing I enjoyed/had control over was getting up and going to the gym early. I'd shower there and walk across the street to work. I think the hardest part is just getting into the routine. I love to set my gym clothes out the night before and if I have to shower at the gym or something, I'll have everything packed up and ready to go so all I have to do is get out the door!

Nowadays, I work from home. I shift between morning and afternoon workouts since I have a flexible schedule, but I'll say I love getting my workout done in the morning, then coming home and putting on real clothes/a little neutral makeup. It makes all the difference, even if I won't see anyone all day! When I travel (usually 2-3 times per month), I get dressed up a little, put on eyebrows, etc. and people love it. I wore a new dress to a meeting last week and the lady was like, "who is this person?"
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast