Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does the ball gown have to match the uniform?

1. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    81.34%

Does the ball gown have to match the uniform?

Advertisements
    It's ball season and I've seen a lot of posts on the base spouse's pages telling other spouses that the dress must match the uniform (in my case it's red, black, or blue). Some wives have gone as far as saying it has to be the exact color that is on the uniform or else it will "clash". I've also seen comments that say the we must pick colors that match because as wives "we're an accessory" there to make our Marine look good on their big day.

I wanted to know what you guys think.

2. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    81.34%
    I think it's ridiculous. I've worn gowns in others colors. I don't want to blend in with all the other girls in the room since so many want to match their Marine's uniform.

3. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Lv. Percent
    0.5%

I have never heard anything like that before. But I've also heard that Marines are more strict about appearances than Army so maybe some of it is branch dependent? That just sounds crazy to me though.
  4. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    74.67%
    This will be my first ball but everything I've read says the opposite. My dress is charcoal.
  5. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Lv. Percent
    42.98%
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    It's ball season and I've seen a lot of posts on the base spouse's pages telling other spouses that the dress must match the uniform (in my case it's red, black, or blue). Some wives have gone as far as saying it has to be the exact color that is on the uniform or else it will "clash". I've also seen comments that say the we must pick colors that match because as wives "we're an accessory" there to make our Marine look good on their big day.

I wanted to know what you guys think.
    Oh fuck that.

Find a pretty dress you like and wear it!

life's a party, rock your body
  6. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    68.5%
    Ridiculous, agreed. DB is a Marine also, so there is a lot of black, blue, and red. Probably 90% of the women are in one of those colors. I wore a full sequin Badgley Mischka (in green) two years ago and definitely stood out, but it was nice to not blend in. It's hard to not feel like an accessory to the dress blues though. I find I am more brave and fun with my choices since DB is with a reserve unit now, it's just much less formal.
  7. Personally victimized by Regina George
    Personally victimized by Regina George
    Lv. Percent
    57.71%
    I probably don't count because the only two balls I went to, I wanted to wear navy and red so I matched unintentionally but I say wear what you want! And if the ball is in Wilmy you better come see me afterwards! Fancy bar crawl!
  8. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    60.3%
    I don't think you have to match at all.
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Lv. Percent
    45.47%
    It's the opposite! They wear the uniforms so THEY blend in together. The purpose in that is so the SO women can present themselves as stunning ladies in dresses as individual as each of them.

Go beautiful and let those other hoes hide behind their men.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Lv. Percent
    34.82%

Definitely disagree, and I'd be pissed if someone said I was an accessory to my husband. I usually try to avoid black, red, and blue dresses because so many women wear them. I tend to lean towards colors/shades that aren't going to be on every person to my left and right and colors that compliment me. Like I have naturally red hair, I'd never wear orange because it "complimented my husbands uniform" or something ridiculous like that.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast