Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: wtf do you wear in the winter

1. Senior Member

wtf do you wear in the winter

Advertisements
    I feel like everyone knows my whole life story by this point but I'm not an idiot, I'm just a lifelong Floridian and the coldest temperature I've ever been in was like 19 degrees, once, in Louisiana. So like probably not actual winter.

I'm like 90% moving to Boise, ID sometime this spring and I'm trying to stock up on some clothes while they're out of season and on sale. From what I've read, Boise has "mild" winters with the average temperature in January ranging from mid 20s to mid 30s. It snows there but not enough for them to bother with serious snow removal and it's described as a "dry cold" which I guess is supposed to be better than the alternative?? Oh and I get that January is not spring but apparently their weather is kind of temperamental and it's not uncommon for winter to reappear in April, and when I move I'm gonna have to actually walk my dogs instead of watching them in the yard from my warm house so this is kind of important.

My bf told me to get some kind of fleece and a shell. He can't seem to grasp that idk what qualifies as a shell. I get the concept of layering like a warm fleecy thing with a windbreaker thing over it, but can someone give me a specific example of what people wear in this situation? I'm literally imagining a fleece under basically a raincoat, I have to assume I'm wrong.

Also what about on the bottom?? What shoes do you wear when it's cold but not really wet? I've always wanted sorel boots but it doesn't sound like all that is necessary. Do I wear uggs every day? What about jeans, do you just deal with cold legs? Do you get used to it? I know about long johns but do people actually wear those all the time? Is all that even necessary in a "mild" winter?

What about work? Dress pants and skirts aren't really warm and my idea of "winter shoes" don't really mesh with a business casual dress code. Do you just change in the car before you walk into the building?

I feel like an alien asking for tips on how to pass as human, I realize these are absurd questions but idk who else to ask!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I'm so glad you asked all these questions. I'm def

I Eelizah
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
    I'm so glad you asked all these questions. I'm def
    bahahaha i hope somebody helps us
  4. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I will come back to answer your questions but first wanted to say that I love Boise! It's only about 5 hours from here.

life's a party, rock your body
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Layers are an important thing. Long underwear are great. Especially ones that are more cotton and slick. They don't feel bulky and don't need another size up to wear. So things like long sleeve shirt that is think and a sweater like shirt over the top of it.

As for a coat, north face is a great place to start. Another is Columbiana, LL Bean, I don't know how cold Boise gets; but, here in North Dakota, it isn't uncommon to have hights in the -10F for Dec - Feb.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfinkle View Post
    I will come back to answer your questions but first wanted to say that I love Boise! It's only about 5 hours from here.
    yesssssss i was specifically hoping you would respond!! isn't SLC kinda similar climate? and i know, everybody seems to love Boise. before I looked into it because of my bf's job it seemed lame (i've never known anybody who wanted to be in or near Idaho) but it actually seems like utopia?? i seriously cannot wait. if anything messes with our plans i'll be devastated.
  7. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Omg I love this question.

Jeans: They make fleece or flannel lined ones. They're the best. Usually though I wear leggings/tights under pants. Rather than like, real long underwear. Lularoes are great for this actually, since they're so soft

Shoes: Get some nice boots for anytime there is snow or slush. Waterproof is a must. You can buy waterproofing spray if you find cute boots that aren't waterproof. Otherwise regular shoes are fine.

Socks: Wool socks are perfection. Get some SmartWool ones, they're thin like regular socks. Also big bulky ones are nice to wear around the house when your floor is cool.

Layering: My usual outfit for winter is a cami, a long sleeve shirt, a zip up fleece or puffy sweater, and then a slightly-insulated jacket or a peacoat.

You WILL get used to it but it usually takes more than 1 year. Your blood actually thickens over time so you don't get as cold. Since living in San Diego, my cold tolerance has gone from: 60 is cold -> 65 is cold -> 72 is cold.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    What kind of warm weather foot attire is acceptable at business casual type work places?

I Eelizah
  9. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
    What kind of warm weather foot attire is acceptable at business casual type work places?
    In Minnesota most of the people I knew just kept regular shoes at work and would change out of their boots once they got there. I did this too in college at my job Otherwise you could get more of a mary-jane style shoe or a nice low-cut boot.

........are you moving too?! Did I miss something?
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  10. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    yesssssss i was specifically hoping you would respond!! isn't SLC kinda similar climate? and i know, everybody seems to love Boise. before I looked into it because of my bf's job it seemed lame (i've never known anybody who wanted to be in or near Idaho) but it actually seems like utopia?? i seriously cannot wait. if anything messes with our plans i'll be devastated.
    A lot of Idaho towns are dinky but there is a ton to do in and around Boise! It has a fun, cool vibe. We almost moved there before we decided to go back to SLC.

I have had my Patagonia puffy jacket for 6 years and it's the best.
    I like a cute hiking boots with smartwool socks for just every day wear, especially if it's snowing.
    Ohh scarves, I have a million scarves! I also have a ton of buffs because I hate my face being cold when I am walking around.
    If I am going to be outside for a while I will wear fleece leggings under my jeans.
    Ah, beanies. I love my beanies.

life's a party, rock your body
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast