Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: wtf do you wear in the winter

1. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Advertisements
    I don't really have advice. I was the same, in an opposite way when moving from MI to AZ. I still find jeans to be too hot (totally fine in the type of Winter you're talking about, without liners....liners are for like...5 degrees or less, or standing outside for HOURS like at a parade IMO). I love moments of being able to wear a sweater.

As for shoes, I only wore boots if I was walking somewhere in the snow. Other wise, regular shoes or flip flops, despite snow.
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I think I asked this same question here when we were moving to Germany.

What I learned is that everywhere inside is heated, so the most important thing is a coat that you can wear outside and take off, along with gloves , scarf, and hat. Even when we were outside a lot (like when we traveled and were cruising around London, or whatever), I was fine with a great coat. But I didn't want a huge Stay-Puffed Marshmallow man coat, either. Mine is from J Crew and has a thinsulate lining and is super warm.

Under that, if I was going to be outside a lot I wore a base layer (go to REI or any sporting store and they will have them. It's basically a long sleeved shirt made of fabric meant to eep you warm and dry. Kind of looks like Spandex.). On top of that I wore a thick sweater, or if I was anticipating extreme cold, I might put a cami or some other fitted shirt on over the base layer and under the sweater. On the bottom, jeans or leggings. If I was going to be outside a lit, leggings under jeans. (You can get base layer leggings, too.) Then hat, gloves, scarf.

Wool socks. (I love the Smartwool. Pricey, but worth it.) And I was a basic bitch essentially the entire time we lived in Germany. I found nothing to be warmer than Uggs. yes, they are not waterproof, but you said it barely snows. They are warm as fuck, especially with thick wool socks under them. (Buy them tight as they stretch a lot.) I also had a pair or Sorels and a pair of snow boots from Colombia, which I wore when it was super wet, but even then, most of the time I wasn't really out wading through snow so the Uggs were still fine. (I treated them with waterproof spray from a shoe store.) Unless you are actually walking in snow, it doesn't matter much. From your front door to the car and from the car through the parking lot to a building? Uggs.
    oh man i love my uggs!! i never get to wear them in florida my first thought upon reading that boise doesn't get all that much snow was "yassss uggs"
  3. Senior Member
    My favorite winter outfit is skinny jeans or leggings with boots, whatever shirt, and a scarf. I'm obsessed with boots and scarves. I have a northface that I wear as a jacket in the fall and throughout the winter and spring til you no longer need a jacket. When it gets real cold I have a peacoat, but I still wear my northface under it as the cold is my arch nemesis and I'm always shivering. Unless you're going to be out in the cold for a long period of time, it's not necessary to wear long johns everyday. But there are fleece lined pants. There are new UGGS that are water proof. Or you can just use water proof spray on them. I didn't have a problem with mine getting wet unless the snow was slushy.
  4. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

Lots of really good advice here. I think Boise and my area are about the same weather wise. We're on the other side of the mountain so we don't usually see much of any snow on this side.

Layers.
    Tank, long sleeve, fleece, shell (like he said). I have The North Face fleece and water resistant shell. You can also find jeans and leggings that are fleece lined to keep your leggies warm. Also, leg warmers are cute with boots.

I wear rain boots with thick socks but that's because it rains 9 months out of the year here.

So excited for you to start your new adventure!

<3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
  5. Senior Member
    LMAO. Come for a shopping spree in Canada.
  6. Senior Member
    My Wisconsin blood is giggling madly.

You've a lot of good advice here (especially the layering part!). There's plenty of good stores online. A big part is to make sure that if your climate has snow/rain you get something at least water resistant. You may have started out warm, but even 50 deg can be freezing if you're sopping wet. I usually spring the most on footwear.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sassyspoonicus View Post
    My Wisconsin blood is giggling madly.

You've a lot of good advice here (especially the layering part!). There's plenty of good stores online. A big part is to make sure that if your climate has snow/rain you get something at least water resistant. You may have started out warm, but even 50 deg can be freezing if you're sopping wet. I usually spring the most on footwear.
    lmao i was in wisconsin near the end of april this year and froze my damn ass off. i had to sit in the car with the heat on in front of menards while my boyfriend was tying copper pipe to the roof of his car by himself. i like the cold but wow i need to acclimate!
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    lmao i was in wisconsin near the end of april this year and froze my damn ass off. i had to sit in the car with the heat on in front of menards while my boyfriend was tying copper pipe to the roof of his car by himself. i like the cold but wow i need to acclimate!
    April's not too cold! xD I used to do snorkel surveys in northern WI. We started when the ice came off the lakes. Got a bit chilly lol. Though I did work with some absolutely psychotic Minnesotans who would jump into half frozen lakes for funsies...
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234