Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should I do with my hair? Any cosmetologists?

1. Senior Member

What should I do with my hair? Any cosmetologists?

Advertisements
    Over Christmas I got my hair cut. I took about a foot off, it was desperately needed. It was dead and dry and I wanted to chop it anyway. But I want highlights. I've been wanting them for almost a year. Now that my hair is healthy I'm going to do it.

I want color; like blue, orange, yellow, red, and green. I don't know if I want all of those at once or one at a time or what. But I was talking to my friend who said it would be best to bleach my hair and go blonde first. My hair is a dark brown. Do I need to do this in steps or could I go into a salon and walk out with the color I want? I know absolutely nothing about dying hair. Here's my hair after I got it cut:

And then after I do color it, what's the best way to make the color last? Best products to use, like shampoo that won't wash it out after the first wash? Any additional ways to preserve the color? My one friend got her hair highlighted purple and after the first shampoo it all washed out. I don't want to pay money to get it done just for it to wash out immediately
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Your hair is dark so if you want bright colors you're going to have to bleach at least those sections. Definitely need a color protectant shampoo and washing your hair in cool water will help preserve color. Color fades pretty quick though so to keep it vibrant you're going to either need to purchase color like from Sally's to touch it up or be ready to fork out money pretty often.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EverlastingLove View Post
    Your hair is dark so if you want bright colors you're going to have to bleach at least those sections. Definitely need a color protectant shampoo and washing your hair in cool water will help preserve color. Color fades pretty quick though so to keep it vibrant you're going to either need to purchase color like from Sally's to touch it up or be ready to fork out money pretty often.
    What is a good color protectant shampoo? I currently use Tresemme
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by caljmw649 View Post
    What is a good color protectant shampoo? I currently use Tresemme
    Definitely not that lol. If you have a salon or a Sally's near you go there and ask for recommendations. You're going to want something of good quality and that doesn't have alcohol listed in the first few ingredients. I personally really like the "generic brand" that Sally's sells but I don't know if it's good for color since I use the tea tree one.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EverlastingLove View Post
    Definitely not that lol. If you have a salon or a Sally's near you go there and ask for recommendations. You're going to want something of good quality and that doesn't have alcohol listed in the first few ingredients. I personally really like the "generic brand" that Sally's sells but I don't know if it's good for color since I use the tea tree one.
    There's a sally's 5 minutes from me so I'll stop by and ask. Thanks for your help!
  6. Moderator

Use cold water when you wash your hair. That's my biggest advice. I have platinum blonde hair and put pink in it often. I also don't wash my hair everyday, more like every third. My color always lasts a long time.
  7. Senior Member
    I just wanted to say that your current hair color is absolutely beautiful! I also say go for the highlights if you want them, but your hair looks awesome now too!
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Your hair is beautiful. But I would recommend for the least amount of damage to to it in steps. I would also gradually add in the fun colors so it's not a shock all at once. Definitely a professional color protecting shampoo. It will keep your color longer. If it's sulfate free even better. Biolage is my favorite.
  9. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    I used to have every color crazy hair you can imagine, from blue to skittles-themed to rainbow and purple. It's so fun! Based on my experiences with box dyes and salons, I'd recommend having a stylist do all of this for you - there are enough steps to potentially mess up and enough box color horror stories out there. It's more expensive but in the long run you're going to get better product, longer lasting hair and color, and you won't be as terrified as if you were doing box color (that stuff still scares me ). Looking at that photo, you're going to have to lighten maybe more than once to get to a light enough tone for the blonde colors. I have dirty blonde hair and it took two times to get it light enough. Start slow, with highlights, and then add color gradually. I did blonde highlights, then added blue highlights, then took the plunge about three months later with an obmre blue. I think the time between coloring + the quality of the product (I'm an Aveda fan for life) really helped my hair stay soft and healthy.

Your stylist will be able to recommend good shampoo, washing and styling tips, and preserving your color. Be sure to update us when you get it done!
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    Use cold water when you wash your hair. That's my biggest advice. I have platinum blonde hair and put pink in it often. I also don't wash my hair everyday, more like every third. My color always lasts a long time.
    Yeah I was thinking I'd have to cut back on how often I wash my hair and maybe even using a dry shampoo. I'll definitely use cold water when washing it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    I used to have every color crazy hair you can imagine, from blue to skittles-themed to rainbow and purple. It's so fun! Based on my experiences with box dyes and salons, I'd recommend having a stylist do all of this for you - there are enough steps to potentially mess up and enough box color horror stories out there. It's more expensive but in the long run you're going to get better product, longer lasting hair and color, and you won't be as terrified as if you were doing box color (that stuff still scares me ). Looking at that photo, you're going to have to lighten maybe more than once to get to a light enough tone for the blonde colors. I have dirty blonde hair and it took two times to get it light enough. Start slow, with highlights, and then add color gradually. I did blonde highlights, then added blue highlights, then took the plunge about three months later with an obmre blue. I think the time between coloring + the quality of the product (I'm an Aveda fan for life) really helped my hair stay soft and healthy.

Your stylist will be able to recommend good shampoo, washing and styling tips, and preserving your color. Be sure to update us when you get it done!
    I'd probably really mess it up if I box dyed it myself so I'll just stick to going to a salon! And I'll definitely talk to the stylist about doing it in steps for the best a d healthiest results. Thanks for all the advice! And I'll make sure to post pictures!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast