Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Removing shellac polish?

1. Senior Member

Removing shellac polish?

Advertisements
    Have any of you successfully taken off shellac nail color at home?

I have shellac on right now and it seriously needs to come off! All the salons I'm aware of here (we're still new to our current area) drill/Dremel it off. I'd much rather soak it. A friend keeps telling me I can do it at home. I have Acetone and a nail file.
    Any hints or tips?
    "You will never completely be at home again because part of your heart will always be elsewhere. That is the price you pay for the richness of knowing and loving people in more than one place."

2. Senior Member
    My nail shop soaks cotton balls in acetone and then wraps it around my nail, covering it with aluminum foil. You wrap it all around. Wait about 5 minutes. Then unwrap and use your nail file to file it off.
  3. Senior Member
    DUPLICATE
    "You will never completely be at home again because part of your heart will always be elsewhere. That is the price you pay for the richness of knowing and loving people in more than one place."

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeth View Post
    My nail shop soaks cotton balls in acetone and then wraps it around my nail, covering it with aluminum foil. You wrap it all around. Wait about 5 minutes. Then unwrap and use your nail file to file it off.
    Oooh thank you! I started with one nail and a cotton ball but no foil. I held the soaked cotton in place for about 10 minutes and not much happened. Even when I Googled how to do this, the one site never mentioned foil.
    When I phoned one local salon about how they remove it and cost, it was $20 just to remove!

5. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeth View Post
    Yep, this is it. Mine usually soaks for about 20 mins. I would file a little in between and then reapply the soaked cotton ball and aluminum foil
  6. Senior Member
    Yeah. I would actually do more than 5. I'm sure the nail shops have a much better acetone than what you can find in stores. Open up, file a bit and see if it comes off easily. It should once it's properly soaked. Good luck!
  7. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    I always, always go back to the nail salon and have them remove it. I inevitably end up peeling it off which is horrible for your nails. I tried soaking in acetone and it worked but still pulled off the top later of my nail which freaked me out!
  8. Regular Member
    File down as much of the polish you can, then soak cotton ball in acetone, place on nail and wrap in aluminum foil and repeat until nail polish is gone! Every time that I have had them removed at the salon, this is what they have done and the most I have been charged for it is $10 so I would definitely try to do it at home b/c if not, you might as well get them re-filled.