Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Covering shoulders at a church wedding?

1. Senior Member

Covering shoulders at a church wedding?

Advertisements
    I feel like I've been talking about this nonstop but I'm stressing, guys. I'm going to a wedding with my boyfriend in a couple weeks and it's in a Greek Orthodox Church, do I absolutely have to cover my shoulders in that situation? My dress is otherwise appropriate but it's sleeveless. Not super skinny straps or anything, my back doesn't show, I'm just nervous about my shoulders.

I got a sweater to wear but it looks so stupid with my dress I'm sending it back. Am I stressing out unnecessarily over the shoulder issue? Am I going to stick out like a sore thumb/trollop if I wear my dress as is? There's really nobody else I can ask, I don't know these people, don't know anybody who is Greek Orthodox, my boyfriend doesn't know and I can't ask him anyway because he's working in the woods with no cell service. What do I doooo pls help
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

My greek BFF said, a sleevless dress is just fine. Because its a wedding and not a regular service, you can wear whatever. **And she is on the conservative side herself so, that gives you a reference point
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CourtLove View Post
    My greek BFF said, a sleevless dress is just fine. Because its a wedding and not a regular service, you can wear whatever. **And she is on the conservative side herself so, that gives you a reference point
    Omg excellent info source! Thank you!
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Omg excellent info source! Thank you!
    No problem!
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I would ask the bride and groom. I think it really depends on the church.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DakotaCowgirl View Post
    I would ask the bride and groom. I think it really depends on the church.
    If I knew them I would

I think I'm gonna buy another sweater anyway and just bring it along in case I need it during the ceremony. I'll keep the tags and return it if I don't end up wearing it. Really hoping I can avoid it though, I don't think there is a cardigan that won't look really stupid with my dress.
  7. Senior Member
    You can buy a wrap in the formal section of department stores like Macy's. They're for formal wear so it shouldn't look casual like a cardigan or sweater would.

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I would put a scarf on it and that would be dressy and you can remove it if you want.

You can never have enough scarves.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  9. Senior Member
    I third the wrap/scarf idea!
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  10. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

My cousin married a greek man last year and I think it's fine to not cover shoulders, but holy shit, the whiney background singer/preacher man was irritating as shit (I have misophonia though). I would have been happier with the Lion King Naaaaaaaaaaaaasaaaaaaaaaaavennnnnnyahhhhhhhhhhhh. (I apologize to anyone who appreciates this greek service).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast